Squeaky/stuck tenons

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
Now, I know the most typical method is to give your pipe a trip to the fridge. And I have done so on my beater pipes with great effect. But I found it's usually not a permanent fix. It becomes smooth for a short while before going squeaky or completely stuck again.

I've read in a few places that recommends Beeswax. Any insight on that?

Also Vauen have a pipe tenon lipstick for hard to fit and squeaky tenons. It's uncommon and I've only seen it being sold in a few European pipe shops. Again, any one with experience with it?
Heres a link to it: http://www.vauen.de/photo/detail/en/Pipe-Service-Stick_500/98.808.4.13.html

Finally, is there anyone with secret self discovered methods that they're willing to share around?

EDIT: Bonus question: have you ever broken a shank while trying to remove the stem with too much force? I've personally has yet too but there were times I seriously felt that I could if i tried to remove the stem with all my strength instead of popping it in the fridge.

You've got two options.

You can rub a little candle wax on the tenon every once in a while to keep it lubricated or you can carefully sand the tenon with some 400 or better grit sand paper.

Todd

taharris":8y0lfdk7 said:
You've got two options.

You can rub a little candle wax on the tenon every once in a while to keep it lubricated or you can carefully sand the tenon with some 400 or better grit sand paper.

Todd
Regarding candle wax, would you recommend beeswax or paraffin wax?

Get a little crayon of what's called "peg compound" ("peg dope") from a place that supplies violin shops. It's used o lubricate the tapered, friction pegs that tune the strings and it works very well to accomplish both objectives involved -- butter-smooth turning and good grip.

:face:

Yak":8bpbfbs1 said:
Get a little crayon of what's called "peg compound" ("peg dope") from a place that supplies violin shops. It's used o lubricate the tapered, friction pegs that tune the strings and it works very well to accomplish both objectives involved -- butter-smooth turning and good grip.

OMG you are a genius! I can't believe I missed it being a violinist.

Isagar":gmboc1me said:
Looks like Yak wasn't the peg dope here, Isagar.

[giggling] (Hardly my most manly trait)

JKenP":5olxrzbx said:
Isagar":5olxrzbx said:
Looks like Yak wasn't the peg dope here, Isagar.

[giggling] (Hardly my most manly trait)
Guess you learn something everyday ;)

There's plenty of dopes around these parts, anyway. :lol:

I have only broken one pipe shank from "too much force" while removing the stem. Fortunately it wasn't my pipe, but a cheap basket pipe at my Tinder Box. The grain was just as such that twisting it managed to crack right along one of the "faults" in the briar. *shrug* Wasn't a big deal, but yes, it can happen. The pipe was also drilled poorly, and the stem fit far too tight. Cheap pipe--whatcha gonna do?

Sloughed graphite from an ordinary pencil is my stem lubricant of choice (sounds kinky, I know).

8)

@Isagar
My great uncle had a saying similar to your Aristotle one. I must have heard it a thousand times growing up.

"Perfection is attained only by hard studies and constant practice."

His last job was running a big machine shop.

JKenP":1pw2tiup said:
@Isagar
My great uncle had a saying similar to your Aristotle one. I must have heard it a thousand times growing up.

"Perfection is attained only by hard studies and constant practice."

His last job was running a big machine shop.
He must have been a magnificent man.

My favorite quote all time is Aristotle's "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is a habit, not an event."
This quote really changed my entire philosophy on life.
My avatar is a slight variation of it by him as well.

Seems like Aristotle's making a major comeback these days.

Here, at least . . .

Yak":aj6rnous said:
Seems like Aristotle's making a major comeback these days.

Here, at least . . .

Bertrand Russell (a philosopher and pipesmoker) once notes that "almost every serious intellectual advance has had to begin with an attack on some Aristotelian doctrine".
Just thought I'll share some interesting facts to all Aristotle-worshipers out there. :)

taharris":zs6myrfj said:
You've got two options.

Todd
Todd, I just wanted to thank you for the tip on using sandpaper. I tried it out today and the result was fabulous!
Thanks again!

Once i have removed the stem i use to rub some pencil's graphite on the tenon. It always work for me, and you can repeat the treatment everytime you remove the stem to clean your pipe.

Isagar":9xrpdon5 said:
taharris":9xrpdon5 said:
You've got two options.

Todd
Todd, I just wanted to thank you for the tip on using sandpaper. I tried it out today and the result was fabulous!
Thanks again!
Glad to help. :)

Todd

I'll raise my hand with a suggestion, be careful with the sandpaper. I've been there: rubbing just a bit too much, or unevenly, and discovering the difference between too tight and too loose a fit is a narrow margin. :lol:

Kyle Weiss":c601ij6b said:
I'll raise my hand with a suggestion, be careful with the sandpaper. I've been there: rubbing just a bit too much, or unevenly, and discovering the difference between too tight and too loose a fit is a narrow margin. :lol:
Sage advice.

Yes. Fine-grit sandpaper -- in experienced hands -- is the best solution. Note the qualifier.

Otherwise, you can either halfass it with home remedies that will kind of work, or get some peg compound and do it right once & for all.

Graphite or beeswax do the trick for me. Fine sandpaper if it really is way too tight and then very carefully!