St Bruno match suggestion?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
So the anglophile in me suddenly has a hankering to try St. Bruno. Unfortunately it seems impossible to acquire out here in Korea. Which GH blend do some of you experts feel is the closest match. Reading TR it seems like every blend by GH gets compared to either Condor or St. Bruno but if I see a common thread here I will go for it. It will be my first foray into GH territory. Thanks.

Interesting question. Maybe Dr.T or one of the British Brothers has the answer? But not me, sorry. Good luck.

The only thing that's somewhat close that I know of (and it's not really anything like a match) is Maltan Ready rub, which is even harder to get than St Bruno.

I knew you knew more about it than me. I have never even heard of the Maltan.

juanmedusa":h11rtrnw said:
so far as I know, it's only sold on the net by James Fox of Dublin

DrT999":ei2x0q97 said:
juanmedusa":ei2x0q97 said:
so far as I know, it's only sold on the net by James Fox of Dublin
Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

Psmith":lcljsyzi said:
So the anglophile in me suddenly has a hankering to try St. Bruno.  Unfortunately it seems impossible to acquire out here in Korea.  Which GH blend do some of you experts feel is the closest match.  Reading TR it seems like every blend by GH gets compared to either Condor or St. Bruno but if I see a common thread here I will go for it.  It will be my first foray into GH territory.  Thanks.
Have you thought of contacting one of the British Bros about getting some for you and sending it to Korea? I'm sure you could work something out! Don't feel to bad as we can't get it over here in the States and I to like it quit a lot !! :twisted: :twisted:

From what I understand tobacco is really expensive in UK so I wouldn't want to put any one out. There is nothing Korean that one would want in a trade. Kimchi perhaps? Ha Ha.

So some threads I found say MacBaren's ODF is a very close match because of the dark-fired.
Then others say that Bosun Cut plug is because the toppings are very similar.
One bloke on a thread claims mixing the two together results in a pretty close match.

That being the case it makes much more sense to go for those 2 because then I end up with not only St. Bruno (or something close) but the original constituents as well.

When i try it I will let you all know.

Thanks Blackhorse. I checked them out and it seems reasonable. I may just go that route. I haven't read a bad review yet of St. Bruno and by the sounds of it is something I would like.
Maybe I will start with a couple pouches just to make sure it actually gets here. I noticed they sell many enticing things like Warrior plug and the legendary Condor.

Condor is highly scented like St Bruno. Warrior is very different...it is strong rich full Dark tobacco flavors...more like Dark Flake Unscented, Best Brown on steroids, or a brown rope or twist...but sweeter than the Dark Flake and plain ropes.

If you're wanting to try Condor I think there are USA online vendors that have it. Any US vendor will be 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a UK vendor.

I love Warrior...a favorite of mine. But different. Get the plug.

Think about Walnut Flake. Supposed to be excellent along the lines of Stonehaven.

Also...look at SYNJECO in Switzerland. Many guys here order through them with good success. Lots to look at there. Contact them directly to find out about shipping to your country.

http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/1000.php?i5

Good luck. Let us know how it all works out.

Psmith":d69u98y6 said:
So some threads I found say MacBaren's ODF is a very close match because of the dark-fired.
Then others say that Bosun Cut plug is because the toppings are very similar.
One bloke on a thread claims mixing the two together results in a pretty close match.

That being the case it makes much more sense to go for those 2 because then I end up with not only St. Bruno (or something close) but the original constituents as well.

When i try it I will let you all know.
I would bet my money more on Bosun Plug than ODF, even if I didn't try Bosun's Plug. I have tried both St-Bruno and ODF and I can tell you they are not similar in casing and taste.

I have to say that St. Bruno is one of those tobaccos that are supposed to have florals or 'soapiness' that I just don't taste. To me, it has more of an undistinguished mild dark fruit taste (with maybe a hint of burnt citrus), but not really one similar to any other (the different Revelation and Country Doctor matches veer towards plum for example), and a taste that is almost covered by the Kentucky. The only tobacco I've tried that I would call 'soapy' would be Condor.

It all depends what you like in St. Bruno.

If it's the typical "old lady soap" perfume you find also in Condor, then you might want to go with Gawith & Hoggarth Grassmere or Enerdale Flake. The "soapy floral" aroma is the same.

If you're out for the Kentucky and Virginia in it, then go for Three Nuns.

In my opinion if you mix Gawith & Hoggarth "soaps" (the above mentioned flakes) with Three Nuns, it's the closest you'll get to St. Bruno.