St. Bruno

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I still can't wrap my taste buds around this one. It's a good tobacco, kind of fruity, but there is something in that Virginia/dark fired Kentucky blend that is lurking in the background. I just don't know what it is. Has anyone else tried this blend in the ready cut package?

I'm working on a pouch of the RR right now. It's pretty fresh and doesn't seem to have the depth of the flake cut. I like it just fine but find it pretty stout for everyday consumption.

Cheers,

RR

I find a significant difference between the Flake and Ready Rubbed. Not only when it comes to the tin aroma, but in the taste as well.

Davy Jones":re1up7pr said:
I find a significant difference between the Flake and Ready Rubbed. Not only when it comes to the tin aroma, but in the taste as well.
I did as well as the flake is my point of reference. I put it down to the age of the flake mostly, but the cut could influence it as well.

Cheers,

RR

I have enjoyed most of the bowls I have smoked from a recently purchased 50g tin of the flake. I think Mac Baren has done a good job with this blend. The flavor can be a bit strange from time to time. I get a floral note and smoky fruity thing from it. When it’s on, it’s great, but when it’s off, it can be a bit off putting

Brewdude":0xpg6x0m said:
Davy Jones":0xpg6x0m said:
I did as well as the flake is my point of reference. I put it down to the age of the flake mostly, but the cut could influence it as well.

Cheers,

RR
Yipper. I think the toppings are also different….

JimInks Sez:

“9-30-2016: having very recently smoked the 1980s version, I would say that there are a few differences between the two vintages. The flakes are much longer.The older version has a stronger, deeper rose geranium topping. The tonquin was a tad stronger, and a little deeper. The tobacco flavors also have more depth, and a little more earth. The taste is essentially the same otherwise.”

With a total of 132 reviews this comes away with a mean 3.2 on the Review site. Pretty much a classic.

I've got some RR on hand. I too couldn't get past the flowery topping. I much prefer the licorice flavour of Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky.

Is this St. Bruno a lot different than the recipe of 40 -50 years ago? My dad used to smoke it along with three nuns and one of the Sail brands. The ghost odor in his pipes that I now have is lovely but I've never been able to find the tobacco that left it.

I don't think 3 Nuns is the tobacco it once was from what I've read.

IMHO - You’ll find guys on both sides of questions like that. But since you have to judge a ‘right there in front of you’ product against a twenty or even thirty year old memory...it’s tough.  Even if a company has the original recipe and can match the components “exactly” it’s really all opinion anyway.

My two cents worth.

In my search for my new favorite tobacco I've ordered some St. Bruno, along with some McB's Scottish Mixture and Sam G's Squadron Leader (just for a bit of Latakia... and I love the tin - it reminds me of my Dad's wartime service in the RAF).

I’ve smoked St. B and have a few pouches in reserve. Can’t say I detected any floral notes or noticed any propensity to bite. I think of it as a nice, mild, inoffensive summer smoke. Sometimes I add a pinch of Conniston to perk it up a bit.