St. Claude Paneled "Tomapple" Restoration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piffyr

Reaction score
I can't make up my mind whether this little, horn-stemmed, paneled, St. Claude pipe is more of an apple or tomato shape. So, I've dubbed it a "tomapple". It was in good overall good condition when it arrived. There were just a few scratches, dings, and missing fills to take care of.

Here's the pipe on arrival:

b-stcld-pantom01.JPG

b-stcld-pantom02.JPG

b-stcld-pantom03.JPG

b-stcld-pantom05.JPG

The real standout thing on this one is the stem. It doesn't come through well in the photos, but there is an area on the top and sides near the shank face that is translucent. If you look closely at the "above" shot of the pipe, you can see the tenon fitting in there. You can also see (but not in the photos) the cream colored fibers layered inside the translucent area. It gives the stem a very cool 3D effect.

Here's the finished pipe:

z-stcld-pantom01.JPG

z-stcld-pantom02.JPG

z-stcld-pantom03.JPG

z-stcld-pantom04.JPG

Brewdude":mhlsy0bk said:
Kewl, but is that button sticking out its tongue?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YwCSmVHzhqM" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

NICE, NICE piece of work on that chubby "Tomapple" guy !! Is the bit acrylic or horn?

monbla256":ce4cri0i said:
NICE, NICE piece of work on that chubby "Tomapple" guy !! Is the bit acrylic or horn?
Thanks, monbla! The stem is horn.

Wow! Beautiful work. It looks a lot like the Pete 408, scaled down and paneled. May I ask what the dimensions are?

KevinM":87p3up0g said:
Wow! Beautiful work. It looks a lot like the Pete 408, scaled down and paneled. May I ask what the dimensions are?
Thanks, Kevin. I don't have the pipe in my possession anymore, but it was a wee one at about 4 1/2" long. I didn't take any other measurements of it.

In your pics, it looked like it offered the benefits of easy carry with an ample bowl size. I've noticed that Peterson has a line of "sportsman's pipes" in this size range. Much to be said for a handy pipe, especially when the dimensions are well handled. This one has been "born again" at your hands.

KevinM":fmaibxh1 said:
In your pics, it looked like it offered the benefits of easy carry with an ample bowl size. I've noticed that Peterson has a line of "sportsman's pipes" in this size range. Much to be said for a handy pipe, especially when the dimensions are well handled. This one has been "born again" at your hands.
I agree that pocket pipes and nosewarmer types can be handy. I like to use them for things like walking the dog. You might be interested in seeing this little Mokin Corsaire that I restored for a friend a short while back. It's of a similar size to the St. Claude, but the shape is... unconventional.

mokcor032-3.JPG

I also recently received a small pre-war WDC with another horn stem that's about the same size, but with an ample bowl. It's in sad shape, but I think it will be a beauty when with a little care.

IMG_7032.JPG

I like the Mokin, too. It's unconventional, but nicely designed for particular smoking opportunities. The WDC might be in rough condition at the moment, but maybe it's just waiting for its makeover. That's a nasty ding on the rim.

Piffyr":b3d20ae9 said:
Ah, the not so well known "sagging bladder" shape, popular with gents who enjoy fondling doorknobs.

Re the WDC: If you can bring that one back from the dead, you have powers way beyond mere mortals. Is that a massive fill on the shank? I do like that shape, though.

Richard Burley":86nav1o0 said:
Ah, the not so well known "sagging bladder" shape, popular with gents who enjoy fondling doorknobs.
I think of it as the love child of Marvin the Martian and a geoduck.

Richard Burley":86nav1o0 said:
Re the WDC: If you can bring that one back from the dead, you have powers way beyond mere mortals. Is that a massive fill on the shank? I do like that shape, though.
I've worked with far worse. That Mokin, for example, was no beauty queen when it arrived. A chunk of the rim was burnt out, the stem was cracked along the bottom and shattered at the stem face, and there were seven fills in the poor thing. Quite a large number for such small pipe. Yeah, that's a fill on the shank, but the term "massive" is relative given the diminutive size of the pipe.