Stab protective gloves

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Hiya Folks,

I have asked about this once before on a couple of sites but didn't really get any where with it so I am trying to get some serious advice and guidance.

This afternoon I was out in the shed having a nother bash at rusticating a pipe, I use a carving chisel like this:
TM043.jpg

except mine is a really cheap make and wont hold a sharp edge so it slips a lot when I use it.

I need to find a 'real' stab proof glove to wear whilst using my carving chisel as today I slipped with the chisel and I have managed to stab myself in the hand, it went straight through from the palm out of the back of my hand.

Besides it being fairly painful it has made me really uncomfortable with using sharp tools like that again, but of course I need to do so if I am going to carry on with developing my pipe making techniques. I know I need to buy a high quality chisel that will keep a keen edge to avoid slipping, that will come in due time when I can afford a set, I will still need to get a 'stab resistant' glove that really is stab resistant no matter what chisel I use.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to a place where I can get a glove that is really stab resistant and wont cost me a small fortune. I have found a host of cut resistant gloves but cutting is a very different thing to stabbing, I could really do with some help in finding one if anyone has experience with one that will genuinely protect my hand.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Chainmaille? or Kevlar? I don't know I think the Kevlar ones meat cutters use

Bloody Hell Kirk, you stabbed the tool all the way through your hand out the other side? Shouldn't you be at the ER right now? You could have severed a tendon and done nerve damage. Not to mention the risk of infection. Don't take an injury like this lightly mate.

Or have you already been and are just now back home?

Yes I'm a worrysome ol' git, but an injury like you describe sounds very dire indeed! Really mate, you need some doctoring.

:shock: 

Cheers,

RR

We use "Wizzard" brand safety gloves in our retaurants. Aboutb$20/pair, they should be available at your local restaurant supply company or online (try webrestaurant.com)

Briar Spirit":rgagz0at said:
I need to find a 'real' stab proof glove to wear whilst using my carving chisel as today I slipped with the chisel and I have managed to stab myself in the hand, it went straight through from the palm out of the back of my hand.
Dude! :shock: 

Hope you're okay Kirk. And hopefully this doesn't derail your fine pipe making efforts too long.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AAW6D21ICdg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's just a flesh wound."

Thanks for the links chaps, given me food for thought, we have one chainmail glove here in the UK which I have found on Amazon, hopefully it will serve well, it's made in China so I am not overly optimistic.

Brewdude":xulg77s6 said:
Bloody Hell Kirk, you stabbed the tool all the way through your hand out the other side? Shouldn't you be at the ER right now? You could have severed a tendon and done nerve damage. Not to mention the risk of infection. Don't take an injury like this lightly mate.

Or have you already been and are just now back home?

Yes I'm a worrysome ol' git, but an injury like you describe sounds very dire indeed! Really mate, you need some doctoring.

:shock: 

Cheers,

RR
I've no doubt made it seem worse than it is, the chisel entered from the palm side and exited through the back of my hand, see image below to see where the hole is, it's no big deal, could have been much worse, yup, smarts a little but it's not so bad, I cut 3 of my knuckles open a month or so ago, that was pretty bad, the skin flapped back to reveal he bones, bit scary that one but sod hospitals, don't trust em.
holehand.jpg

See, not so bad, and yup to Tom, just a flesh wound and I love the Holy Grail movie, classic. :lol: 

Ouch!!! I sympathize about not trusting health services. Hope it heals up quick Kirk!

Jim

Thanks Jim, gutted you yourself are enduring wounds too, scary just how fragile we really are and such accidents are a stark reminder of this fragility.

old_salt":ppq3fm4r said:
Dude, clamp your work & keep both hands on the tool.

get a pair of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Fit-Tuff-Coat-Kevlar-Polyester/dp/B0041USANY
I'll second what Old_Salt said.

Take a 1"x1" square stock of hard wood and turn down one end to friction fit the bowl.  
Hold the square end in a bench vice and push the pipe, bowl first, onto the round end.  
Then, and this is the important part, place BOTH hands on the tool and rusticate away.

Please don't hurt yourself again Kirk.  It's hard to type with missing fingers! :affraid: 

Todd

i wear kevlar gloves when drilling. its a simple bit of added protection that isn't too expensive.

Kevlar will not help much with a stab. It is designed to asorb shock. It will resist cutting. I wear kevlar daily. Says it is not stab resiatant on the vest. I also use kevlar lined gloves to pat folks down. Several times they have saved my hands from sharp objects.

I got a carvers glove from wood craft, was using a dremmel tool with a router bit when it jumped. grabbed the glove and stalled the dremmel.Works so far, hope you feel better soon.

I use a leather glove, but my rustication tool isn't as dangerous as a chisel. Try a wooden dowel wrapped in electric tape with the other end worn flat in a vise. It'll hold the stummel pretty proper so you can keep you hand mostly out of harms way.

Always use a sharp tool. It cuts readily without the force needed for a dull tool. (If the worst still happens, at least the wound should heal better.)

Keep all parts of you behind the cutting edge. (Be glad you weren't working in your lap!)

Use a jig or jig of some kind to hold the workpiece. Both hands on the tool - one apples pressure; the other guides. Let the jig be the third hand.

Wear gloves if needed to avoid the skinned knuckles, but maybe clear the work area? (Do as I say, not as I do.)

Thanks for the links. I'm always nicking myself cleaning halibut, I'm thinking the chain glove may be the ticket.