Stabilized Burl Source

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see...$25 for the scales...$45 for the steel...$5 for sundries. Total of $75 for materials. Add on ten to twenty hours labor, depending on the design. So if it took a minimal ten hours and the total cost to a buyer was $175 I'd be making the new minimum wage! lol

Yeah but that's untaxed and 'putzing around time' you'd of otherwise spent screwing around in the shop anyway. Ain't gonna get rich, but it's better than wanking your pud.

Good advice from an expert. But I don't consider my time in the shop as just screwing around as that kinda minimizes the value of any products. I recently donated one knife and one carved walking stick to a local charity auction. The two items cleared a total of $500. Pretty good for putzing around.

Here's the thing. I have friends and acquaintances here that, at least to me, are highly valued. I've sold knives to them, Mr. F included, for materials plus two bucks an hour. Why? Because they deserve it. Mr. F especially. No one has a more giving spirit. So if I make next to nothing on some item I at least have the satisfaction of returning some of what he and others have given here, and likely elsewhere.

Great looking blocks and scales so hard to choose what color I want next. As soon as I finnish the puukko I'm working on I'm hitting them up!

Get it finnish.........:roll:

I see what you did there!

Wow! I just browsed down through the page again and was surprised at how many pieces have been taken. My pick was #29A...a purple box elder burl with amazing graining (is that a word?).

And, yes, I said PURPLE. lol

k29.jpg

I love the hickory stabilized burl.  The grain is outstanding!

I have one of Blackhorse's knives. He does a top notch job. I wouldn't call his work "putzing" around. LOL