Stain Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flytyer

Reaction score
Ive watched some pipe makers stain pipes and burn off the stain,and others wipe the excess off like you would when staining furniture.Whats the differance in these two methods? Is one better than the other? Is one better for rusticated or smooth finnishes? Im going to be refinnishing a couple of my less expensive work pipes and wanted some input.

I have seen the burn off method and thought that cant be good!
but I don't know I have never tried it

Most makers use an alcohol based stain. Burning it off right after application doesn't allow the stain to penetrate the briar very deeply (remember, each piece of briar is different). Letting the stain dry on the stummel will allow it to penetrate more deeply into the wood. I think it all depends on what look you are trying to acheive with your stain. Personally, I let my stain dry on the stummel and then sand (at whatever grit I am currently working). Sometimes I will wipe with denatured alcohol after then stain is dry....again, depends on what I am going for.

I've seen and done both and can't say that I've seen any major difference. If you burn it off, you may have less tendency to have streaks, but I can't say that I see a benefit to burning it off.