Standard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugsahearn":3z76wngh said:
What's your ideal bulldog mr burley?
Something a bit larger than the standard 5.5", with the bowl not too squat nor too tall and cocked forward ever so slightly, diamond shank that tapers slightly, the standard two rings encircling the bowl, tapered bit only, smooth or damned good sandblast, but not black sandblast--and above all, everything flowing together into a sublime entity. Straight, not bent. I found one once that was killer; think it was an Ashton, but dithered until someone else snapped it up. I was a FOOL!  ;)

Added later: Kind of like this Ser Jacopo that Marty Pulvers has on his site, but I've never been keen on rustication:

bdog10.jpg
" />

hey man yea that's certainly the type of pipe i've been searching out lately. There are pipes like this on ebay but they are actually few and far between especially quality and unsmoked. Ideally I prefer the darker stained but I would def add a pipe like that to my collection. Whats it called a hardwicke? Made for the smoke shop i suppose?

Bugsahearn":ad9wqi9y said:
hey man yea that's certainly the type of pipe i've been searching out lately. There are pipes like this on ebay but they are actually few and far between especially quality and unsmoked. Ideally I prefer the darker stained but I would def add a pipe like that to my collection. Whats it called a hardwicke? Made for the smoke shop i suppose?
I imagine so. Though who the maker for the shop is I couldn't say.

I'm just now starting to appreciate the classic straight billiards, a little "late". Most of what i got are 1/2 to 3/4 bent. But my old Barling straight brandy is a real good smoker(too bad  it's got a replaced stem--broke or bit thru the original). & the little GBD st.  Dublin is terrific burning shaggy VAs...Bugs, have you checked out Paul's Pipes in Flint MI online? it looks as tho' they have some good "new old" unsmoked in stock. Just a thought...

Richard Burley":ja6h6czf said:
I don't care what pipe people smoke; it's just that I hate seeing someone get turned off pipe smoking because of poor choices in wood or weed. And the only reason I care about that is that I don't particularly like being viewed as an ambulatory anomaly because I have a pipe sticking out of my mouth, or being pulled over by a cop because he thinks I'm freebasing as I fire up. The more the merrier, in other words. Whatever works for you--as long as it's working.
                                                                                  As  far as the Weed's concerned, a new piper can't go too far wrong with plain old PA, SWR or SWRA...or Sail or Troost if you can find 'em (IMO). Pipes, new pipes are trickier. It's not that you can't find something good under $50, BUT it is a crapshoot...mebbe better off with a MM general, but briar, if I was starting all over again I'd save up & buy a Pete's for around $100...only not one w/ a P-lip. excuse me , i'm off-topic here, i'm thinking about the new "converts"

$240 for a plain Jane run of the mill looking Savinelli?
You'd think it was a vintage over priced Dunhill or something
and I can see that that's what there trying to do with the DOT.
Judas Priest do I need to raise my prices. :fpalm:

Thanks Bill that is a cool site with some nice choices. I will bookmark that one for sure. Cart do you mean raise your prices on the pipes you make? That billiard I posted looking to identify is a cool pipe. It has the grabow font for imported briar but just a circled L on the stem and it's not pre-smoked" as the grabows are. It has a larger lip than any grab I've seen which is nice and the bowl is quite large. I haven't broken it in yet so it's got that unbroken taste but the draw is strong (yanked stinger), it feels right in my hand is real easy to clench with the larger lip. I like this mystery pipe.

Bla mon you will dig this...scored a new Savinelli Punto Oro for under 100 bucks. It's sandblasted but that nice dark brown and i like

Bugsahearn":2u8b8dte said:
Bla mon you will dig this...scored a new Savinelli Punto Oro for under 100 bucks. It's sandblasted but that nice dark brown and i like
It's Monbla and you definitely CANNOT go wrong with a Blasted Punto Oro!! It's the second top level of their standard shapes, just below the Guibleo 'd' Oro series. and ANY of these are BETTER than current "White Spot" , what used to be Dunhill, pipes being made today!! JMHO as I have 10 Puntos, all blasted !! :twisted:

Can anyone tell me what happen to my servile punto or stem? I ruined it without ever getting to smoke it. I decided to rub it down with water and the whole thing turned green right away. it smells bad too. It was supposed to be lucite. well that sucks.

If it's actually vulcanite how could it oxidize immediately when water touches it? I don;t get it

Was it hot water? The Wikipedia article on ebonite suggests that turning green was to be expected.

I've passed up many an interesting pipe because my bite's enough to leave tooth marks in acrylic. Vulcanite would be a disaster on that score alone. Living in the coastal zone without air conditioning completes the double whammy.

hey sloth, thanks! it was room temp. It has to be vulcanite..I was really confused at first because it was sold as a lucite stem. I guess this happens some times with new savinelli stems. I tried brebbia polish and it still has the sulfur smell...so should I scrub it with a magic eraser? Is this supposed to be done with a the eraser dry or wet? Is there a way to do it without scrubbing off the gold dot?

Dunno, dunno, and dunno. I have to defer, here, to those who actually do this kind of restoration.

Bugsahearn":k0z934pw said:
Can anyone tell me what happen to my servile punto or stem? I ruined it without ever getting to smoke it. I decided to rub it down with water and the whole thing turned green right away. it smells bad too. It was supposed to be lucite. well that sucks.

If it's actually vulcanite how could it oxidize immediately when water touches it? I don;t get it
First off I'm guessing that ".... servile punto or stem... " translates to Savinelli Punto Oro stem? ALL the Punto Oro's that I have come with Vulcanite/Ebonite ( same thing, basically hard rubber) only the Guibleo 'd Oro series had two stems, one of which was acrylic, the other was hard rubber. The bit can be brought back and the sulphur taste can go away after it has been restored. Several of the brothers will probably chime in with methods, me I just send the pipe to someone like Walker Briar Works and let them do their magic on it. :twisted: :twisted:

Bugsahearn":1iqdajg9 said:
hey sloth, thanks! it was room temp. It has to be vulcanite..I was really confused at first because it was sold as a lucite stem. I guess this happens some times with new savinelli stems. I tried brebbia polish and it still has the sulfur smell...so should I scrub it with a magic eraser? Is this supposed to be done with a the eraser dry or wet? Is there a way to do it without scrubbing off the gold dot?
The "gold dot" is a piece of inlayed brass and can't be scrubbed off

I scrubbed it with a magic eraser until the brown color stopped coming off. but i still can't get rid of the sulphur smell...any one know how to get rid of the smell?

Bugsahearn":d7smftpu said:
I scrubbed it with a magic eraser until the brown color stopped coming off. but i still can't get rid of the sulphur smell...any one know how to get rid of the smell?
Bugs, you can soak it an OxyClean and water mix, but afterwards the finish will be a little rough, and need to be polished back to a shine. If you don't have micromesh pads, it could take you quite a while to get it back to a like new premium shine.