Stanwell 124 ( revival)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerrit_Jan

Reaction score
Good afternoon to you,

Can someone tell me when the original 124 was made?? And when did the revival appear on the market. And I thought that this shape was made by Sixten Ivarsson??? Am I right?? And was there a special reason to release this revival???

Kindly regards,

Gerrit Jan
Vlissingen
Netherlands

This is what I know, I don't know when it was reissued though.

Stanwell Shapes by Designer

Sixten Ivarsson:

01 (Nefertiti), 01 (Pick Ax), 02, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20 (Free Hand Boot), 20 (Bent Dublin), 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 32 (Free Hand), 33, 34, 35 (Bent Free Hand), 37, 38, 41, 43, 48, 55, 59, 62, 63, 64, 70 (Free Hand Volcano/Sitter), 75 (Billiard w/oval shank), 79, 82, 85 (Bent Egg), 86, 87, 90, 91R, 95, 96, 105, 109, 119, 124, 2606 (Sitter), POY 1993.

Tom Eltang:

32 (redesign), 84, 126, 129, 131,135, 136, 137, 138, 164 (Trio), 177, 180, 181, 190, 204, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 227, 232, POY 1986, POY 1987, POY 1988, POY 1990, POY 1992, POY 1996, POY 1997, POY 1998, POY 2000, POY 2001, POY 2002, POY 2003, POY 2004, POY 2005.

Jess Chonowitsch:

139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 156, 157, 158, 159, 161, 162 (Calabash), 163 (Facet), 166, 167, 168, 171 (Hexagon), 172 (Viking), 217, POY 1985, POY 1989, POY 1991.

Poul Winslow:

207, 234

Anne Julie:

26, 35, 36, 183

Bang:
169, 170, 178, 179, 182, 189, POY 1989

Poul Ilsted:

Information copy-right and compiled by Basil D. Stevens

Cartaphilus,
Thanks for that information. Your research skills are very valuable.
:cheers: 

Gerrit_Jan":q162u3zc said:
Good afternoon to you,

Can someone tell me when the original 124 was made?? And when did the revival appear on the market. And I thought that this shape was made by Sixten Ivarsson??? Am I right?? And was there a special reason to release this revival???

Kindly regards,

Gerrit Jan
Vlissingen
Netherlands

I'm not sure when the original 124 was produced, yes it's a Sixten design, the 124 revival shows in the 2009 catalog but I'm not sure when it reappeared, I bought mine in 2010 (when I first saw it online).

The sight below offers information (all the way at the bottom) with old catalogs ETC. I'm not sure whether you can glean what information you seek but it's a starting point. I'd be interested in what you find about the 124.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45021922/Stanwell-Catalog-2009

docwatson":x3agv5ad said:
Cartaphilus,
Thanks for that information. Your research skills are very valuable.
:cheers: 
Naw! Not really, I think I stumbled on this awhile back by accident and just saved it.
But, your welcome sir.

Interesting and valuable information.

But anyone who claims copyright on a list of facts like that one is delusional.
If that were possible, TV stations would be claiming copyright ownership of
daily temperature records.

:face:

Over the last few years I've searched and found a number of original Stanwell 124 shaped pipes in various finishes and stains - I love the shape.  In all that time from what I have found via various sources regarding Sixten designed Stanwell's, the 124 was one of if not the last shape he designed for Stanwell.  I've saved a number of Stanwell catalogs which were scanned and a link made available on a forum (I have it at home and will try to remember to post it later) so I'd have to take a look at when the 124 first appeared in a catalog.  If I had to guess right now I would say 1980's.

The revival I would think was a return of the shape as a tribute to Mr. Ivarrson.

OK, a quick search here

http://www.danishpipemakers.com/forside/2006/1update/sixten/sixten.html#

yielded this:

Sixten and Stanwell:
The collaboration between Sixten and Stanwell lasted as mentioned from the late 40'ies to the beginning of the 80'ies. After the war, Poul Nielsen Stanwell bought new machinery including copy fraisers. This was a prerequisite of copying Sixten's shapes. For many years Sixten´s shapes were the only artisan shapes that Stanwell used. Jens Lillelund has been with Stanwell since 1967 and has been managing director since Poul Nielsen Stanwell died. Jens and I go through Stanwell's large pipe board with all the Stanwell shapes from the war. Jens tells me that Sixten created at least 40 of Stanwell's shapes from 1949 to 1983. In 1983, he delivered his last master shape, which was given no. 124, a shape that could be a Lars shape as well as a Sixten. Jens is not absolutely sure about some of the older shapes so the number of Sixten Shapes might be higher.

Jens and I have a look at a present Stanwell catalogue with the shapes of today. Without any doubt 5 shapes are from the hand of Sixten: No. 11, 17, 30, 75 and 86, but I suspect that no. 19, 62, 63 and 64 are early Sixten shapes too. No. 11 is the shape that Stanwell has produced absolutely most of because it has been the best selling shape ever, especially in Germany. For many years Stanwell paid Sixten licenses for the use of his shapes, but later on Sixten got briar, bamboo and other materials from the factory.

Well, really, really thank you very much for this info. I thought the shapes 19 and 63 are also shapes of Sixten. At least they told me so (in Europe). They were the first two Stanwells I bought, before I ever heard of Sixten. I still find them the two most beautiful shapes he ever made. But that's a matter of taste.... again, thank you!!

Lou,
Thanks for all of that additional info on Stanwell shapes. I've owned a few Stanwell pipes over the years but never got serious about collecting or smoking them. I just love reading about the history of any maker, and this is just super. You are also a wealth of knowledge and it's much appreciated.
Andy

docwatson":cxvpb3uh said:
Lou,
Thanks for all of that additional info on Stanwell shapes. I've owned a few Stanwell pipes over the years but never got serious about collecting or smoking them. I just love reading about the history of any maker, and this is just super. You are also a wealth of knowledge and it's much appreciated.
Andy
Andy, thank you my friend, I appreciate that. I can attribute the Stanwell knowledge based upon the fact that faced with the prospect of wanting to own but never being able to afford an actual Sixten Ivarrson pipe, I quickly realized that I could try for the consolation prize... a Sixten designed Stanwell at a much more affordable price. It started me on a few years worth of research and yielded a number of fine old Stanwell's for the collection. I was particularly drawn to Sixten designed Stanwell's which I noticed contained design attributes and style features seen in the works of many of the modern artisenal pipe makers of today. I quickly learned that some of these attributes were not new at all but developed by the Master decades ago and incorporated (interpreted) into and by the master carvers of today, thus the reason I noticed and admired them in Sixten's designs in the first place - sort of a reverse appreciation and learning (enlightening) experience.

I too love reading about the history of any maker and enjoyed my quest into the history of the Stanwell pipe - a very interesting and fascinating one at that!

Thanks, again, my friend,

Lou

FANTASTIC info! You need to put the link to it in the Pipe History thread !! :p 

monbla256":bvd1ry6f said:
skaukatt":bvd1ry6f said:
Here is the link I mentioned before - it is in German or Dutch (my apologies I mean no offense to anyone) but you can figure out some things...

http://www.stanwell-tabak-pfeife.de/f5-STANWELL-TOP-THEMA.html

Here is the link to the scanned catalogs, or, make that Kataloge von Stanwell

http://www.stanwell-tabak-pfeife.de/f122-Kataloge-von-Stanwell.html
Great info. Thanks. Are you going to put them in the Pipe History thread so folks can find 'em?
Please; by all means, feel free if you know where the thread is located.

It's right under this thread under the title of Pipe History :twisted: