Stanwell (Danish Production)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
It's sad that the Stanwell factory is no more. I have a handful of these fine machine made pipes and to me there simply is no better value for the money. I probably won't buy any of the newer Italian made "Stanwell" pipes because frankly, they're not really a Stanwell other than in name.

Bill, I couldn't agree more. I only have one, a freehand that is about 12 years old, and it is truly a fine smoker.

I think I'll reserve opinion ,,,they may not be a traditional Stanwell, but they might be good smokers at a reasonable price,,,,,,

Indeed, seems to me there are lots of italian pipes that have an excellent reputation. It is pretty sad though, and I can't imagine that I will ever be able to get nearly as attached to an Italian Stannie as I am to my Danish ones. Maybe if they rename it Stanwello or Stanwelli or something.

I'm taking the conservative wait and see attitude.. BUT...

Considering they auctioned off their wood & their machinery I'm not getting excited. Also when you consider exactly who it is in Italy that could possibly handle the volume your left with someone completely new to the business or Savinelli.. I guess we will see before long.. The warehouses and shops have to start running thin of Danish made production before long.

It definitely is sad. I was trying to track down my first Stanwell as news came 'round that they were closing up shop in Denmark. Something matching my wants didn't materialize in time. Even if they are every bit as great as the "real" Stanwell, they're still going to be missing a good chunk of that pedigree. Oh well, those that do own them will now have something that much more special.

As of yet everyone I've seen available is Danish Production... They are far from gone... If you want a Danish made Stanwell go to almost any pipe shop and buy one.

Sorry for novice question. I've been watching for few nice Stanwells at the local flea market. As i do not know the manufacturing year, is there a way to know where are they made? Is the stamp 'Made in Denmark' a proof that the pipe is Danish?

Raid":z87g6jld said:
Sorry for novice question. I've been watching for few nice Stanwells at the local flea market. As i do not know the manufacturing year, is there a way to know where are they made? Is the stamp 'Made in Denmark' a proof that the pipe is Danish?
Raid, I bought a Stanwell Nanna Ivarsson a few months ago and yes, mine is stamped Made In Denmark.

Hermit":m2w467xt said:
Well at least they didn't move production to China.
It ain't like the Italians can't make good pipes.
Agreed Hermit!
Savinelli got the Rossi factory, would be interesting to see how the Stans play out there if they do or do not!
I love Sav's but have been very disappointed in their mid range pipes of late. Some of them are more putty than wood!
They are still brilliant smokers tho'

Anyone have any idea how to differentiate the old Danish made pipe vs. one from the new factory??

jacko":skpvfr0y said:
Anyone have any idea how to differentiate the old Danish made pipe vs. one from the new factory??
Check the markings, Older ones will be stamped, MADE IN DENMARK.
None of us are to sure what the new nomenclature will look like just yet, it may be to early in the production line to tell.
That said has anybody seen a new Italian Stan??????......... Dang, that just sounds wrong!!

Seemed to have found an answer to my question

“All product development will come out of Denmark as it has always been done,” Asgaard said, “and the collaboration with the Danish pipe makers will not change in any way.” It will also be a while before pipe buyers notice anything at all. Asgaard said the company has stock on hand to last 18 to 20 months after the factory closes December 31.

When new pipes do hit the market, determining the country of origin will be easy. “Those pipes that come out of Denmark will still be marked Stanwell or Stanwell Made in Denmark. Some pipes, like the bamboos, only have room for Stanwell,” Asgaard said. “The pipes coming out of Italy will be marked accordingly.”

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Pipes/Entries/2009/8/18_Stanwell_to_Shut_Down_Danish_Factory.html

jacko":rbron08y said:
Seemed to have found an answer to my question

“All product development will come out of Denmark as it has always been done,” Asgaard said, “and the collaboration with the Danish pipe makers will not change in any way.” It will also be a while before pipe buyers notice anything at all. Asgaard said the company has stock on hand to last 18 to 20 months after the factory closes December 31.

When new pipes do hit the market, determining the country of origin will be easy. “Those pipes that come out of Denmark will still be marked Stanwell or Stanwell Made in Denmark. Some pipes, like the bamboos, only have room for Stanwell,” Asgaard said. “The pipes coming out of Italy will be marked accordingly.”

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Pipes/Entries/2009/8/18_Stanwell_to_Shut_Down_Danish_Factory.html
Thanks for the info bro, most helpful indeed!

I've only just discovered Stanwells with my first one being a handamade Stanwell Bishop.
http://www.joshsohn.com/pipes/thumbs/stanwell.jpg
It smokes like a charm.
After reading the press release I'm not too worried about the future - of course I'll buy as many Stanwells as I can afford at present, but they're machine made after all. Does it matter where the machine make them?

RobT":ytfmd2bn said:
I've only just discovered Stanwells with my first one being a handamade Stanwell Bishop.
http://www.joshsohn.com/pipes/thumbs/stanwell.jpg
It smokes like a charm.
After reading the press release I'm not too worried about the future - of course I'll buy as many Stanwells as I can afford at present, but they're machine made after all. Does it matter where the machine make them?
I have a Stan 185 I ran into at a good price at a crapy excuse for a tobacconist here in Pretoria, smokes Lat blends like a charm!
Say Rob, have you been to Sturks on Greenmarket Square of late?????

I was at Sturks just the other day. Bought some Peterson tins - Irish Flake, Sherlock Holmes, and Connosier's Choice I think. I also have my eye on a Peterson Tankard which looks a bit like a straight poker, but nicer in my opinion. I hope they still have it when I finally decide to buy it...
Gents let me know if any of you want to try some Sturks blends.

RobT":hej5ao7u said:
I was at Sturks just the other day. Bought some Peterson tins - Irish Flake, Sherlock Holmes, and Connosier's Choice I think. I also have my eye on a Peterson Tankard which looks a bit like a straight poker, but nicer in my opinion. I hope they still have it when I finally decide to buy it...
Gents let me know if any of you want to try some Sturks blends.
Know what you're are talking about, I was there on business last month and they had 2 in stock, hey must have sold the one. Did you see the Sherlock Holmes collection??? wow not a bad price either!
Thanks for the offer, I stocked up on house blends for Muddler and myself so we are ok for now!
Thanks for the offer Rob. Will let you know when we run dry.
Say bud, seeing as you live there, are there any other cool tobacconists in CT. went to many crap ones like in Garden court, century city and waterfront, all were really crappy besides Sturks?