Stanwell finishes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drush1962

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the finish is done with on the Stanwell ebony pipes? Is it the usual stain and finish or are they laquered or even something else? Thanks for any info!

I've seen one of these but I have no idea what they use. Peterson's does the "brittish racing green" stain but you're still able to see grain through the stain. The Stanwell stain appears totally jet black.

Savinelli does an odd finish too called: "Obi One" which is also jet black but it's textured instead of smooth. Perhaps a pipemaker will chime in with an answer....

Dress black finishes are done a number of ways, but as far as I can tell, they involve either painting or very heavy staining, and then a top coat over that to get that real glossy black finish without leaving your white gloves covered in charcoaly stains. You can also tint lacquers and shellac.

If you can't see any grain, you are dealing with a pipe that is basically painted and topcoated.

Thanks - I had thought it must be some kind of paint or laquer, because having tried to stain pipes black, it is very hard to get them that dark. The stain just doesn't cover that well. Thanks again for the info.