stanwell or kaywoodie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mw306

Reaction score
Trying to decide which to purchase for my first premium pipe. I like the Stanwell "Colonial" models. Also like a couple of the Kaywoodie models. Any thoughts on which would make a good first buy, or does one seem to smoke better than the other.

This depends some on the particular pipe you are looking at, especially out of kaywoodie. I'm assuming that you are looking at a price point similar to stanwell, maybe 60-80 bucks, which would mean that you are looking at the stingerless "new era" woodies, in which case I would say they are likely to outperform a stanwell. Stannies are good pipes but the draw is small on many of them, especially compared to the large bowls. The kaywoodies are more open.

In that price range most kaywoodies will have a vulcanite bit and Stanny acrylic, so that's a major consideration too.

Trying to stay in same price range. As for bit type is one preferred over the other.
I haven't figured out all the fine points yet.

On bits: Vulcanite is a hard rubber stem. It's a little softer between the teeth, but is prone to oxidation, and shows "chatter" (toothmarks) more readily. Acrylic is a resin (plastic)--a bit stiffer, but a bit more resilient than rubber stems. Acrylic won't oxidize.

I don't like to speak in generalities, but almost every pipeman has probably had pipes of both kinds. Some folks have a preference; others don't. When I was beginning, I preferred acrylic stem because I clenched my pipe tightly, but that's just me.

My only preference considering a vulcanite stem and an acrylic stem is with clinching. If you don't use softies/rubber pipe bits the vulcanite is easier on the teeth when clinching verses the harder acrylic. Most people see the con of vulcanite being that it oxydizes and needs more maintenance, something else to take into consideration.

I'd say just pick the one that appeals to you. Don't sweat it.....you'll get the other one soon enough.

that is what I decided to do also. buy the one I like best and then the other one a little
later. gotta keep the wife happy as she thinks one is enough of anything if it doesn't
pertain to the kitchen.