Started my cellar!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaWarrior

Reaction score
Jarred up some Stokkebye Amsterdam and Norwegian according to Russ' technique and started my log at tobaccocellar.com. Fun!

Gobble gobble!

Matt

Oh dear. You're displaying the early symptoms of TAD there old bean.

Sadly, they're is no known cure.

Happily, you've taken your first steps to a very enjoyable journey.

:cheers:

I'm not that bad, I saw that a dude on that site has smoked 90 tins this month!

Thanks for the messages guys, y'all are the best.

Not bad? Ya, that's what I thought at first.  :D  embrace the TAD!

May whatever powers you believe in have mercy on your soul!!!

Welcome to The Never Ending Quest!

Might need to build a dedicated wing to the estate, there is a lot to collect out there, and your journey through your selections will be fun and enlightening!!

Ozark Wizard":34j0ih7f said:
Welcome to The Never Ending Quest!
Oh it ends, especially when you run out of space .. :p

Those look like good choices. When it comes to the Stokkebye bends, I like to cellar Luxury Bullseye and forget about it for 2 years. Good stuff.

Gentlemen,

Do I have to stick to mostly Va blends for cellaring? I like a lot of different types of tobaccos.

In gratitude,
Matt

AlphaWarrior":n7psz644 said:
Gentlemen,

Do I have to stick to mostly Va blends for cellaring? I like a lot of different types of tobaccos.

In gratitude,
Matt
Matt, American style aromatics are not the best candidates for long term aging. Typically blends in this phylum, (and I am sure there are exceptions), are meant to be smoked fresh as their flavorings will diminish leaving you with a sub-par smoking mixture.

For long term aging, I cellar latakia's, Virginia's (straights, Vapers, VA-Orientals, Vaburs, etc.)

Find stuff you like to smoke now, and put it away for later and hope age is kind to it. If you don't like it now, don't expect age to all of the sudden turn a mixture into a stunner.

Good advice. I bought a tin of Penzance when ordering for my Secret Santa at Peretti's. Cellar it or smoke it right away?

@DrumsandBeer No, I haven't. I'll probably smoke some for Christmas to see what it's like.

Good idea! Smoke that Penzance at Christmas and savor it. Great Christmas present to yourself. Penzance and GLP Quiet Nights are great for cold evenings when it's just me and the pipe at the house. M'mmm!

AlphaWarrior":desea1it said:
Good advice. I bought a tin of Penzance when ordering for my Secret Santa at Peretti's. Cellar it or smoke it right away?
A good general rule of thumb, is to give Lat blends a minimum of 2 years aging time, and Virginia blends 5 years. Some folks feel that Virginias continue to get better and better, and that Lat blends tend to start losing their body at the 10 year mark.

However, aging time is relevant to an individual persons palate. Best thing to do is try to put a little age on your Lat blends, a little more on the Ginnys, and beyond that not obsess to much over optimum aging. If you have a favorite blend, you might want to put forth the effort to experiment with it.

Some folks find they prefer a particular Scotch at a younger age. Balvenie Doublewood 12 is a classic example. Too much age can sometimes be detrimental, depending on your palate.

Thank you for the guidance. I scored some sweetness last night at my local tobacconist. A big tin of Macbaren burley from 2012, some old bulk Vintage Syrian, and they gave me a couple bowls worth of 5100, some McCranie's unknown blend, and another unknown blend. The little bags were from 2007. I puffed some of the 5100 and the burley and cellared most of the burley tin. The 5100 was very toasty, surprisingly. The sugary smell had me expecting otherwise. Burley was nutty and bold as described in all of the texts I have researched with a fantastic nic hit! On the road again for 2 weeks travelling with my Kraken Pipe Leather kit bag fully stocked.

Alpha don't expect big changes to the burley unless you plan on aging it for a very very long time. I have some SWR from the 50's I recently opened and the changes are still pretty subtle.

Jim

huffelpuff":uq2334cb said:
Alpha don't expect big changes to the burley unless you plan on aging it for a very very long time. I have some SWR from the 50's I recently opened and the changes are still pretty subtle.

Jim
^That.

On the bright side, it's comforting to know that you can sack Burley away for a billion years (roughly) and it will still taste the same as it did the day you bought it.