Steelers.... What the...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yak":8yvihyu1 said:
NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass . . .

:cat: :face: :study:
The issue is that the ball was already knocked loose before his arm started to move forward.

I can't watch the link you posted, but from what I remember of the replay I saw during the game, it seemed pretty clear that his arm was not moving forward until after he was hit. The question was whether he lost control of the ball because of the hit, or sometime after he started the throwing motion. I suspect it was the former, and I would bet he made the forward motion in the hopes of having the fumble ruled a forward pass (a la Derek Jeter rubbing his arm after not being hit by a pitch.)

hawaiiansteel":igdptvf7 said:
It costs a receiver $15,000 and his team $35,000 if that player gets a leg cramp during a fourth quarter drive.

Those are the amounts Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders and the Steelers were fined, respectively, for Sanders' alleged "fake" leg cramp during the Steelers' 24-17 win over Cincinnati in Week 7.

Sanders sat out one play while drinking water or Gatorade while trainers massaged his calf.

Troy Polamalu suffered an injury to his calf in the Steelers' win over Philadelphia, and hobbled off the field in a similar fashion. The league bought the notion he was actually hurt when he missed the team's next four games. Apparently, though, he would not have been allowed to return without being subjected to a fine.

Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz physically displayed all the symptoms of being hit in the head by Steelers safety Ryan Clark in the Steelers' 24-20 win in Week 9. Replay clearly shows he wasn't hit anywhere near his head.

Cruz laid all but motionless on the ground, convincing the back judge Clark must have hit him in the head. Cruz miraculously got up from his chalk-outlined body after the official threw a flag, penalizing the Steelers 15 yards for a "blow to the head."

No statement from the league has been released on whether Cruz will be subjected to the same punishment, begging the question, why should a receiver fake a leg cramp when he'd get 15 yards and a free timeout if he acted like he got hit in the head?

We all know these questions will never be answered, nor will ones pertaining to the randomly below acceptable level of officiating from that Week 9 game.

Chalk it up to "Us Against The World," which, for the Steelers, has made an unexpected yet dramatic comeback in 2012.
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/39064-Steelers-Sanders-Fined-50K-for-Phantom-Cramp

"Why? Because it was on a prime time game and Collinsworth and Michaels went on and on about him faking. As I have said many times, Goodell punishes noise. The louder the complaining gets, the stiffer the punishment."

RuthlessBerger":4gcj89j3 said:
Yup...like suspending Ben for a month even though no charges were ever filed because it was front page news (ahead of actual real news, not just sports headlines), while many incidences in which lesser known players are arrested, charged, found guilty, etc. go completely unpunished by the league because that only generates a small 3 sentence blurb on page 5 of the sports section.