Steely Dan Resurrected

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Vito's uploads of the mature Skunk Baxter have me listening to them again.

I'd forgotten how good they were/are. Donald Fagan's sneering voice, the desperate, witty punch of the lyrics and the fantastic musicianship stand up superbly through time; at least they do for me.

"Haitian Divorce" has new meaning for me, now, 16 years after mine:).

It would be impossible for me to pick a favorite Steely Dan album, much less a favorite song, but in some ways I think Reelin' In The Years might serve as one of my all-time favorite examples of a quintessential rock song. From the opening spank of Elliott Randall's lead guitar through the vamp on the fade-out, the song just rocks. Great groove, great harmonies, great guitar solos, great arrangement, slightly but tantalizingly obscure lyrics that actually mean something...the song has it all.

:joker:

"Rikki, Don't Lose That Number" for bittersweet memory tweakage. :|

:face:

I was finally able to knock Steely Dan off my bucket list, we saw them last week in DC. Elvis Costello opened. A beautiful summer night (Jiffy Lube Live, was Nissan Pavilion in Northern VA). There were a lot of unsold seats in the Pavilion, so they were upgrading your tickets. We were bumped to row F, which was great.

They played for two hours, no break. They hit all the albums and a large majority of favorites (missed Deacon Blues). The band, back up singers all sounded great. I was a little disappointed they didn't do any songs from Donald Fagens solo albums (Kamakiriad is a favorite).