Stetson

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
I have a Stetson XXXX Rancher. The hat is comfortable but I would like to trim the brim. Live in a small town and you guessed it, no milliner and/or western store. I think it is possible to do this myself. The color is Silver Belly and the hat will be used for fishing and sun protection. If anyone has any ideas of if they have done this I will appreciate any advice. Thanks very much.

Stinger

Personally I'd just purchase another hat with a smaller brim.
Cutting the brim down on a felt hat would be like cutting leather in the sense, if you don't cut it the first time correctly and evenly you could wind up with something that a mule be embarrassed to wear.

Stinger4me":0e5eynbv said:
I have a Stetson XXXX Rancher.  The hat is comfortable but I would like to trim the brim.  Live in a small town and you guessed it, no milliner and/or western store.  I think it is possible to do this myself.  The color is Silver Belly and the hat will be used for fishing and sun protection.  If anyone has any ideas of if they have done this I will appreciate any advice.  Thanks very much.

Stinger
If it's a Rancher model, it has a 3" brim which would work well for the use you state you will put it to. I'd just reshape the brim mabe more down in front /back and less of the western side curl. I'd try that BEFORE I took to altering it. You can do this easily with a teakettle and some steam and your hands.  :twisted: 

monbla256":8kealrmt said:
Stinger4me":8kealrmt said:
I have a Stetson XXXX Rancher.  The hat is comfortable but I would like to trim the brim.  Live in a small town and you guessed it, no milliner and/or western store.  I think it is possible to do this myself.  The color is Silver Belly and the hat will be used for fishing and sun protection.  If anyone has any ideas of if they have done this I will appreciate any advice.  Thanks very much.

Stinger
If it's a Rancher model, it has a 3" brim which would work well for the use you state you will put it to. I'd just reshape the brim mabe more down in front /back and less of the western side curl. I'd try that BEFORE I took to altering it. You can do this easily with a teakettle and some steam and your hands.  :twisted: 
I agree, that's the way we use to shape and block our hat's and still do. Just don't use your fingers to shape because they'll not leave a smooth line. We use our chin to dip the front and rear of the brim down and our palms to shape and curl the sides of the brim.

As I work in a large western store, and am one of the main Hatters in that store, I have cut down a great many hats. Depending on how old the hat is, and how much body (stiffness) is left in the hat, it may be more wise to use that one as a knock-around hat and purchase a new one and cut it down when you buy it.

Cutting the brim down is not all that hard, but having the tools to do it helps. I suppose you could rig you up a jig to do it somehow, you basically want to have something that slides around the existing edge of the brim with a fixed razor blade about 1/8" in. If you can do that, cutting it down is simple. I always start in the back (but never in the same place twice in a row if you must make several passes) so as to keep everything even. Put the guide against the edge, lower the blade through the felt, and go around in short movements until you're back where you started and repeat as necessary.

Once you've successfully cut down the brim, use a piece of 180 grit sandpaper and sand the edge to give it back the rounded edge it had to start with.

Hope this helps! I love being a hatter, I can shape, clean, and modify with the best in Amarillo. But having the tools to do the work makes things a whole lot easier.

EricTKT, thanks very much for the information.  The hat has been trimmed have to do the sanding today.  The brim was cut from 4" to 3" and the hat looks much better and will become the summer fishing hat.  I think it will be cooler than the chocolate color hat. Thanks again for the information.

Stinger