Steve Books/House of Calabash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadfael

Reaction score
I have been wanting to order some Grandfather's Own Blend from House of Calabash. His website has seemingly been hacked for some time. Phone has not been answered.

Is he still in business? Anyone know anything about this vender?

He really needs to get someone in there to fix his page.

A few guys here locally love H.O.C., but I haven't heard one way or the other about what's up.

8)

I adore HOC. I wanted to order some Irishman's 5 o'clock a while back but I have not been able to get anyone on the phone either. Steven Book's site was hacked months ago.

BH is local to him (HOC). I PM to him this afternoon. He replied that Stephen keeps irregular hours .I can vouch for that. Lets see if he finds out anything.

:drunken: 

I have been ordering from Steve for several months. They are working on getting a new server for their web site. You can call them at (503) 387-5589 and talk with Steve or his daughter Eve. They are still up and running for sure.

It truly is a small shop. If he has someone in his shop he'll let the phone go while serving the person in front of him. At least that was my experience when I stopped by.

Yes, he's up and running. I placed an order last week with Eva for Irishman's Five O'Clock.
Their Facebook page had this post September 24th:

"So due to some technical difficulties, you can reach us at the phone number 503-828-8391. This is til further the number to contact the shop and place your mail orders. Sorry for the inconvenience."

If you haven't experienced this guy's blends, you're in for a treat. None better, IMO.

Happy smokin'! :pirat: 

Brewdude":0gn4z1xr said:
I've got an itch to scratch, and it's called 7 of 9

RR
brew dude, what's in his 7 of 9? Since his site's been down, I haven't been able to read a discription.

DrumsAndBeer":s315u85i said:
Brewdude":s315u85i said:

RR
brew dude, what's in his 7 of 9? Since his site's been down, I haven't been able to read a discription.
Seven of Nine is an enjoyable Virginia/Perique with a mild Turkish
component

This description was lifted from another site. I do remember the Turkish component being more present than the VaPer though. Very pleasant, and thoroughly enjoyable.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ukhjb316 said:
DrumsAndBeer":ukhjb316 said:
Brewdude":ukhjb316 said:

RR
Seven of Nine is an enjoyable Virginia/Perique with a mild Turkish
component

This description was lifted from another site. I do remember the Turkish component being more present than the VaPer though. Very pleasant, and thoroughly enjoyable.

RR
Cool thanks.. I have an order to place soon. :D 

Blackhorse":4g1sv8yj said:
So...what's all this I hear about Irish man's 5 O'Clock?

That one's new to me. What's in it...what it like?
Someone here was talking about it on some other thread. Think I remember it was Lat-heavy.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":27v74tj5 said:
Blackhorse":27v74tj5 said:
So...what's all this I hear about Irish man's 5 O'Clock?

That one's new to me. What's in it...what it like?
Someone here was talking about it on some other thread. Think I remember it was Lat-heavy.

Cheers,

RR
Lat heavy-yes, 37%, I think...but Syrian Lat.

My mouth waters thinking about Irishman's because it is as perfect of a blend as I have ever found. It is a replica of the old 759 apparently with a heavy Turkish amount also. Every bowl of it I've smoked has kept that initial "wow" factor. If you are a fan of full Balkan that are in the 759 camp, you should love it, too.

I found out today by Eva that the House of Calabash's debit card machine is broken and they will only cash, check, money order, or Western Union. If I didn't already know how unbelievable his blends were, I may have moved on from their blends and wrote them off. It is frustrating but such is life. I wish I lived there now so I could drop by and pay in person! Fortunately, I know what is in store so: Western Union, here I come!!! :cheers:  :face: (Friday is "mail off" day)

Below is a link to an interview with Steven Books, giving one insight into his insight...err....ya. He's a wealth of knowledge on all things tobacco. Take a peek.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A4wkxU_DWNY" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blackhorse":uk5iuhlq said:
Interesting.  The debit card machine was broken when I went down there to buy something in person...about two months ago.  Repairs must be s...l...o...w!
I'm wondering if this isn't related to their website being hacked.

:no: 

Cheers,

RR