Steven Books/House of Calabash still opened?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiram-2011

Reaction score
I'm curious if any brothers have had any luck placing an order with Steve recently. Finally out of my stash of his blends and was looking to order some more. Seems that the numbers I have for him are no longer in service. Seem sorta active on their fb site as of a couple months back. If anyone has had any luck, I would love to know how :). Thanks and have a good one brothers.

Understood. & I agree. Perhaps Blackhorse knows a bit more about his status. Last I heard, Mr. Books was keeping really minimal hours.

He's still open.

He apparently pissed someone off, and has had his Web site and FB hacked bad 3 times, and has some bad info out there. He closes when he feels like it, and never answers his shop phone.

I asked him about closing early once, and realized I had made a mistake in about 3 seconds. He gave me his daughter's number to verify hours, and place orders. When I get back in town, I'll PM you if I remember and can find it.

Been enjoying his House of Legion VaPer lately. Great stuff.

He was very nice to me - had an order mix up some months ago and he called and emailed to make sure all was good.

I use the barber shop two doors down from his shop. The cutters in there say he's in on a regular basis, though his hours and mine don't seem to match. Cost? You get what you pay for. His blends are singular, of insane quality and hard to get. So...you do the math.

Expensive & Exquisite.

If I could afford to buy his blends more often, I would.

DireWolf sent me some Grandfather's Own a while back, Very, very good, and there are very few burley mixtures that I like as much as I liked that one.

DrumsAndBeer":48odyus7 said:
Expensive & Exquisite.

If I could afford to buy his blends more often, I would.  

DireWolf sent me some Grandfather's Own a while back, Very, very good, and there are very few burley mixtures that I like as much as I liked that one.
They are worth it though. Quite fond of Grandfathers Own and Irishman's 5 o'clock.

I've been lucky to sample a few of his blends, while he was at Rich's and after. He's a master blender and has access to some unique and quite aged 'baccys. The cost vs worth has to be determined by the individual smoker.

Cheers,

RR

Tried to buy these blends so many times... Was never able to get through to the store by phone or e-mail... The mystery of the absent salesman.

Was able to get through to Steven on the phone today and place an order. Spent a good 20-30 min chatting with him. Real pleasant guy to chat with and his wealth of knowledge on tobacco was mind boggling.

Hiram-2011":0bmmb040 said:
Was able to get through to Steven on the phone today and place an order.  Spent a good 20-30 min chatting with him.  Real pleasant guy to chat with and his wealth of knowledge on tobacco was mind boggling.  
Great! So what did you get Shane?

:?:

Cheers,

RR

Hiram-2011":06xen5gf said:
Was able to get through to Steven on the phone today and place an order.  Spent a good 20-30 min chatting with him.  Real pleasant guy to chat with and his wealth of knowledge on tobacco was mind boggling.  
Glad to hear you got through to him. Steven Books is a national treasure.

Brewdude":jiylv3ec said:
Hiram-2011":jiylv3ec said:
Great! So what did you get Shane?

:?:

Cheers,

RR
A kind brother from this forum picked up & shipped me 8oz of Grandfather's Own last week. I ordered 8oz of Irishman's 5 o'clock, 1oz of first pipe of the day & 1oz of a cavendish blend of his that sounded good.

Hiram-2011":qm88sng2 said:
A kind brother from this forum picked up & shipped me 8oz of Grandfather's Own last week.  I ordered 8oz of Irishman's 5 o'clock, 1oz of first pipe of the day & 1oz of a cavendish blend of his that sounded good.
Not terribly familiar with his line. What do those consist of? Just for future reference, mind.

Cheers,

RR