Stevie Ray Vaughn

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I just can't believe he's been gone 20 years now, he is surly missed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6kpkSRtcrR0" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still inspiring young guitarist to pick up a fender and play the blues...

Ever listen to Corey Stevens?
He started out doing tribute shows to SRV and later did his own stuff.
Scary how good he is........

The saddest part of checking out early was he'd finally gotten free of drugs and alcohol (the cleanup was legit, not just a press release), and the last version of his band with Wayans was his best playing ever. That clip was one of his last recorded live performances.

By absolutely ALL accounts, he was a generous, gentle, kind, and warm hearted guy, too, who never thought he was All That. The "anti-rock star", pretty much. Also, a condition he usually gave to interviewers before sitting down with them was they couldn't edit out what he had to say about inventing nothing musically, but was just reworking what black bluesmen who never got on white radio stations had been playing for decades.

Only the good die young, indeed.

I hate to say I never discovered SRV until after he was gone. I would have loved to have seen him perform live. Always figured that it was ironic how he died in such an unfortunate accident after he took himself so close to the edge through self-induced means. Glad he got himself clean and lived that way for even a short while before the end.

Happy to see others enjoyed Stevie's music. I'd have to disagree with LL, in my opinion Stevie was always at his best, his playing in the early 80's was unbelievable.

Check out this clip from Live at the el Mocambo, recorded and filmed in the early 80's, I believe Stevie was 28 years old. Stevie your music is in my soul....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tWLw7nozO_U" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I caught Stevie Ray Vaughan when he opened up for Huey Lewis and the News in 1985 in Greensboro, NC, at the Greensboro Coliseum. I think a good number of the people who came out wanted to see some SRV. He drew some big ovations. He was great!

When it aint reggae or buffett its usually SRV comin out my speakers...

For anyone interested his Bro has a bar up here in Louisville called Stevie Rays.. always good live music there..

I was lucky enough to see him live a few months before his tragic crash. Awesome player! I was in a local blues band at that time and we ALL went together for inspiration. It worked!