Stingers and Filters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PegLegEd

Reaction score
Do you leave them in or take them out when you smoke your pipe?
Does it effect how a pipe smokes?
What are the pros and cons?

It depends on the pipe for me.

The major con of both stingers and most filters is that they impede airflow and encourage condensation. This is also in theory why they are good - if you have a system in place to take care of condensation at the right time, in the right way, your pipe won't gurgle.

I prefer to use pipes that have no such impediment and which are designed and manufactured to not gurgle. There are some pipes which smoke fine without filters or with stingers removed, but some pipes are built in such a way that they will still have condensing points and may even smoke worse with the relevant bits taken out. All you can do is try and see on any given pipe.

I generally remove a stinger. I haven't smoked a filtered pipe since 1965....and never will!!!!!!! :evil: FTRPLT

I don't mind the stingers on my older pipes, but I'd never seek out a stinger pipe. They do hinder the airflow, but I'm a hard puffer so I don't notice much. If it's built to be removable, I'm going to remove it.

Disposable filters are another matter. I like 'em; others don't; others still prefer like one sort but not another... I think we all do agree that once your pipe cools completely, get that filter out of there so the moisture doesn't settle in.

Doc Manhattan, ftrplt , Sasquatch, I respect and appreciate your information and imput
I recently got a couple of pipes that have them in stingers in the stem and/or have room in the stem and enough room in the shank to stick a medico paper filter in there.

I like for my pipe cleaner to go all the way from bit to bowl. That answers my question.

Thanks

I'm a snob. The 9mm filters don't do anything but get rid of spit, harshness and tar .I do smoke both filter and non.,
they do have thier place. If one is smart enough buy the pipe with an adaptor then you have two pipes. We have all bought tobacco that would burn paint off of a building, put the filter in and now you can feel your tongue the next day. You can get filters in paper, charcoal, meerschaum,balsa,etc.
The old pipes, some were good and some not. I have a liking for over 30yr. old grabows, for every 10 I keep one.
My formers, winslows, dunhills, stanwells, the list goes on, I have kept all and looking for more. These days if its not a filter pipe I
don't buy it unless its brand I know will be a GREAT smoker. I don't understand the bias against filter pipes. Its like when I use to build safari grade rifles and would ask when final testing was at hand, would you like to use my ear protection? What? oh I never use them. REALLY????

great smoker