Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
Had the pleasure of grabbing some of this today at the old B&M. Very nice vaper and the cavendish really adds something here, in my opinion. I didn't know what to think because I always thought it might be just like Escudo, but this was much better in my opinion. Wondering what everyone's opinions were on this Stokkebye blend? Why all the hype for Escudo? I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. But the Stokkebye blend was excellent! This is what I was expecting with Escudo...

Having both in my cellar, I can only give my opinion. I like both blends, but LBF is, imho, better. Mainly, it in the cavendish that makes the blend. However, I feel the love for escudo is that it has no flavoring added, and when smoked right has wonderful , subtle flavors.. It is a very good blend that really ages well. Cavendish, on the other hand, tends to lose its flavorings over time. If I want straight VaPer, it will be escudo. If I want more noticeable flavors, then LBF.

BTW, this is just my opinion. Wait for Ron, our resident escudo man, to chime in.

I hear what your saying. I feel as though I'm always just a step away from having a great smoke with the Escudo. But it is always... OK.

Thanks JP for sticking my neck out there! First off, I'm no expert and don't claim to be, I just smoke a lot of Escudo. My taste buds tell me there is no comparison between SLBF and Escudo. It's an okay tobacco when nothing else is around but, the only thing the two have in common is that there both coined. I'd much rather have Davidoff Flake Medallions or DDNR then SLBF. Davidoff is a lot like SLBF having the Cavendish eye's but BETTER. That's just my worthless opinion. ;)

I had a tin of Escudo just to have had the experience. It was good, but it was not so good that I bought another tin. I figure I am helping to make sure they are not sold out when Cart goes shopping.

My last order of LBF was 1.5 lbs. It is a great value in a smoke that I enjoy a little more than Escudo. It does not rate a 4 star rating from me at TR, but it is close.

Fr_Tom":vb409m5m said:
I figure I am helping to make sure they are not sold out when Cart goes shopping.
Thank you sir, I appreciate it!

Haven't had the Dunhill Navy Rolls yet, I want to but it is so much more expensive than SLBF. I can buy about 4 ounces and be at the same price of a tin of DNR! But I will go there, eventually...

Old Nate":hq6xoezj said:
Haven't had the Dunhill Navy Rolls yet, I want to but it is so much more expensive than SLBF. I can buy about 4 ounces and be at the same price of a tin of DNR! But I will go there, eventually...
I know it really depends on an individuals own taste but, I find the the extra money brings me better quality and flavor most of the time. YMMV ;)

Yes, so far it's a no fuss straight forward smoke. I load and go, and sometimes that's just what I want when I need to cut grass, trim the hedges, and whatever other chore that needs done.

LBF is about the closest thing I have to a go to blend. I'm not a big VaPer fan, something about the Virginian plus perique makes my taste buds refuse to work properly for days on end. But, Escudo on occasion is a wonderful thing and LBF can be an all day smoke. I find little similarity between the two. I do find LBF and new Three Nuns to be a bit similar and have wondered how Escudo might compare to the original Three Nuns. That is the one lost blend I wish I could try.
Mike.

I just realized reading this thread that LBF is the only bulk I buy one pound of at a time. Everything else is eight oz. Nah, it ain't Escudo. I've got eleven tins of that in my pile o'weed somewhere, and I like it. LBF is my "mindless" tobacco, one I don't have to think about when smoking, something I pack and set fire to when reading or watching a flick. Seems to have a soft, nutty, buttery flavor to me, the Escudo being more on the edgier, or pure tobacco taste, side of the tobacco spectrum.

Come to think of it, if memory serves, Escudo also had a nutty taste to it. It's been a year since I've had any. Guess I'll have to open a tin and see if what I wrote above is pure b.s., or just the regular b.s. I'm capable of.

I have a goodly portion of lbf in my cellar any guesses towards a good timing? One that will allow the va to age a bit but not let the cavefish disappear?

rev

the rev":l4937dl1 said:
I have a goodly portion of lbf in my cellar any guesses towards a good timing? One that will allow the va to age a bit but not let the cavefish disappear?

rev
I have had it fresh and I have had it aged 6 years. The aged was more mellow and the fresh was more edgy. They were both good, but the cavendish center had a diminished impact on the 6 yo LBF. 0 years and 6 years is a big difference. For my palate, I decided to get 24 oz and jar it in pint jars. I would just open and smoke them as I was in the mood. I don't personally think aging is a big benefit with LBF.

Had a bowl yesterday after lunch and it was very plain. Just didn't strike the right chord at all... Sometimes I smoke this and sheer enjoyment, then the experience like yesterday. Used two different pipes... I don't know

Old Nate":n8r64lxo said:
Had a bowl yesterday after lunch and it was very plain. Just didn't strike the right chord at all... Sometimes I smoke this and sheer enjoyment, then the experience like yesterday. Used two different pipes... I don't know
Truthfully and not trying to bash SLBF but, I find it the same all the time.
Bland and without character, might as well smoke a cigarette IMHO.
Granted it's an okay tobacco and doesn't take anything to prepare, just stuff and light for those times you just want something to smoke but, not high on my list of a great tobacco's. I reckon that's why it's cheap! ;)

I believe I'll take the plunge and get a tin of DDNR after work some time this week when I get a chance. Two tins of it sitting all by themselves at my local haunt. Curious to see how the DDNR compares to Escudo.

Old Nate":actbpriv said:
I believe I'll take the plunge and get a tin of DDNR after work some time this week when I get a chance. Two tins of it sitting all by themselves at my local haunt. Curious to see how the DDNR compares to Escudo.
Not much comparison at all really, There both coins but, DDNR has more of a hay like flavor then Escudo and lacks the mellow smoothness in my opinion but, I do enjoy it using it as a break from Escudo. ;)

I bought two 24 oz boxes and sealed them individually in Foodsaver bags. These bags seal so well you can't smell the tobacco inside. The vacuum isn't strong enough to collapse the box so I should still have enough oxygen in there for proper aging. I had bought a couple 8 oz bulks but by the time they reached me most of the "bullseyes" were broken up (the boxes were received 100% intact). Escudo is more of a special occasion smoke but since I like the LBF just as much I leave the tinned tobaccos in my special cellar. :)