Stokkebyes Luxury Navy Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
I have been smoking PS Bullseye and Luxury Twist Flake for a while now, and both are regulars in my rotation. McC 2015 is still my goto vaper and well stocked in my cellar, but I have been looking to put some more bulk tobacco away for later years and was the PS blends are certainly bargains in the 1.5 lb boxes. So I picked up a couple of ounces of PS LNF at the local B&M to give it a try.

First thing I noticed was the very grassy note to the tobacco, which I have learned to associate with all the PS virginias I have smoked so far, especially when they are fresh out of the box. The flakes were quite heavy, and one flake was more than I needed to fill my bowl. Using the same method I use for PSLTF, I folded the flake once to break the strands in half, then rolled it up into a cylinder that I gently pressed into the bowl. I had to trim the top with my pipe knife to get it below the rim, as I did not want to mash it down or overly pack the tobacco.

I gave it a good charring light, and the strands all took the flame delivering a good bit of flavorful smoke. My first impression was of the virginia, quite creamy tasting, not sharp, with more sweetness than I get from Bullseye. I needed to relight quickly, so I gently tamped the ash and put a second match to it which got things going they way they should. It continued to deliver good basic, virginia flavor, and again typical of PS, there was virtually no bite to the tobacco. Yesterday was extraordinarily hot and humid, so sitting on my back porch didn't last long this first go, after about 10 minutes I was soaking wet so I put the pipe down and headed inside. One thing I noticed, possibly because of the humidity, but the draw on the pipe got very tight as I smoked, and I had to use a pipe cleaner to open it up after a few minutes. After that, it was fine to the end of the smoke.

About 11pm I was heading for bed and remembered the pipe was still out on the porch, so I headed out and relit it. DGT kicked in big-time, Now the perique was really starting to sing out. In fact, I was almost thinking that someone had refilled my pipe with Escudo, the sour/spicy flavor of perique was on my tongue with every draw. There was most definitely more perique flavor than with Bullseye, not as much as Escudo (which is not one of my favorites because it is so perique heavy). Anyway, the smoke really captivated me, and I ended up finishing the bowl before heading in for the night, Once I got the bowl properly heated up, the perique subsided just a bit and the virginias started to play a roll, and the whole smoke was a very successful and satisfying experience.

I definitely need to smoke this one again, and some Bullseye for comparison. However, first impressions are that PS Luxury Navy Flake is a first class virginia-perique, delivers a good example of both tobaccos without a lot of other side-trips along the way. At a very reasonable price, a few of the 1 1/2 lb boxes may very likely find their way into my cellar.

Thanks for a delightful review. PSLNF is a great, no-nonsense & inexpensive Vaper, I agree. I have some open at the moment.

Luxury navy flake is one of the few tobaccos I have stuck with...

I love penzance, odessy is a joy..
Cairo is at least a monthly deal.. But even when I don't smoke anything else for weeks you can bet ive fired up a few bowls of pslnf.

if I ever had to choose just one tobacco this would be it.

Thanks for the lengthy review!
I am really into these blends 2015 and Bullseye are really near the top of my list.
Navy flake I have have had a bout or two with and I really like it. Great descriptions in your review!

I really like their Luxury Twist Flake so I will have to hit this one too. Thanks for the good review.

Thanks for the review. I smoke their Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake quite often, but don't like Bullseye that much. Too much cavendish for my taste. Plus, I can't avoid but to expect an Escudo-like smoke from it, which is not. Lately, I've had to increase the moisture content of the LNF to get the full flavor out of it. Of the three, I like the LTF the most, because it is more sweet and complex.

Follow up on my review. I have been smoking PSLNF and PSLBF back and forth all weekend and the difference is outstanding. Bullseye is still a pleasant, mellow smoke and I still like the smoothing effect delivered by the cavendish. However, it is definitely not a perique powerhouse. LNF is much more a single-purpose tobacco, to deliver good, no nonsense Vaper enjoyment. For me, it is right on the edge of how much perique I can put up with, but I am pleased that it is on the acceptable side as I have been wanting a tobacco of this genre (2015 is not a perique heavy-hitter either). So it looks like I will be ordering up a couple of boxes for the old cellar.

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed my review.

Awesome and thanks Hunter. I was actually thinking of picking up some PS Lux Navy Flake today!!! Its ben a few days since my last PAD so I deserve it, hahahaha. :lol:

It seems to me that these three PS offerings took a while to catch on... perhaps because of the price (reverse, if it's cheap couldn't be good). But they are all pretty nifty tobaccies... especially if you smoke "on the go". Easy to load and smoke.

I too have refrained from the bullseye in recent past orders and stocked up on escudo.

Well done review - thanks for taking the time.

Buddy - who too has recently discovered the PS family.

Hunter5117":dn6g2irl said:
Follow up on my review. I have been smoking PSLNF and PSLBF back and forth all weekend and the difference is outstanding. Bullseye is still a pleasant, mellow smoke and I still like the smoothing effect delivered by the cavendish. However, it is definitely not a perique powerhouse. LNF is much more a single-purpose tobacco, to deliver good, no nonsense Vaper enjoyment. For me, it is right on the edge of how much perique I can put up with, but I am pleased that it is on the acceptable side as I have been wanting a tobacco of this genre (2015 is not a perique heavy-hitter either). So it looks like I will be ordering up a couple of boxes for the old cellar.

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed my review.
I picked up some for myself about a week and a half ago and have to say it's a keeper as well. I didn't find the Perique as obvious as in Escudo. It is very tasty and definitely one I'll come back to without hesitation!

Good review dude!! :cheers:

PSLNF is a great choice, I always keep some on hand as well as the twist flake and bullseye. All three winners in my book.

New Smoker":or82m8a5 said:
PSLNF is a great choice, I always keep some on hand as well as the twist flake and bullseye. All three winners in my book.
NS, those are the 3 PS blends in my rotation right now, although Bullseye is getting less time now that I have discovered Navy Flake.

FYI, if you are into cellaring, the price on all the PS blends is going up, some places have jumped $5-10 on the 1.5# box and many are out of stock. I've got about 10 boxes of these 3 cellared now and I am thinking of an other order ASAP.

I am not a big English smoker but have heard really good things about PS Balkan Supreme, anyone want to comment on it?

Hunter5117":9mzj574d said:
New Smoker":9mzj574d said:
NS, those are the 3 PS blends in my rotation right now, although Bullseye is getting less time now that I have discovered Navy Flake.

FYI, if you are into cellaring, the price on all the PS blends is going up, some places have jumped $5-10 on the 1.5# box and many are out of stock. I've got about 10 boxes of these 3 cellared now and I am thinking of an other order ASAP.

I am not a big English smoker but have heard really good things about PS Balkan Supreme, anyone want to comment on it?
Thanks for the heads-up Hunter 5117

I really like this one. After I smoked the first bowl of it, I immediately ordered a full 24oz box of it and it went to the cellar for a bit of aging. Really flavorful and inexpensive!

Ron sent me some, I put it in the cellar after holding back some, all this talk may get me to crack the cellar stash prematurely!!

:cheers:

Hunter, are you sure you live on the Kansas side? You seem far too intelligent to me to be a Flatlander. Nice review though.

How bout those CATS! 31-22 over UCLA.

Piet, it's good stuff dude. Better break into your cellar and enjoy.... You'll be begging Rich for more!

Falconer":tw8tlm25 said:
Hunter, are you sure you live on the Kansas side? You seem far too intelligent to me to be a Flatlander. Nice review though.

How bout those CATS! 31-22 over UCLA.
Ha ha, thanks Falconer but my wife says if I keep at it I might get to be smarter than the dumbest of our 2 dogs.

Yeah, what a game. Got REAL exciting at the end when UCLA closed it to 2 points and tried for the 2-point conversion. But K-State closed the deal in a big way!

Johnny":gxw7xwgo said:
Piet, it's good stuff dude. Better break into your cellar and enjoy.... You'll be begging Rich for more!
More like begging Ron for more, I have smoked the bit that would not fit in the canning jar!
It is Fantastic!!!!