Stonehaven Advice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLogo-Mat

Reaction score
If I were to sell a sealed 8 ounce bag of Stonehaven from my personal stash- what would be a fair price? Payment via Paypal.

Pretty subjective, but it would depend on the age and condition, as well as if you are looking for market price or brother price. When available at retail, I see it go for $36-$50. On the secondary market I see it go for $85-$125 and more depending on the age and seller.

ak2000":5n75r4rf said:
Interesting, I did not know that...

That belief might be personal...but as with most other Esoterica blends I find the flavor best when fresh. It’s the same with Lakelands for me...whatever it is that makes it what it is just dissipates over time.

Others would perhaps argue that this is all hogwash. To each his own I suppose. I have no ill will against those that disagree with me...no matter how foolish and wrong they are. :D

Blackhorse":9r8f000o said:
ak2000":9r8f000o said:

That belief might be personal...but as with most other Esoterica blends I find the flavor best when fresh. It’s the same with Lakelands for me...whatever it is that makes it what it is just dissipates over time.

Others would perhaps argue that this is all hogwash. To each his own I suppose. I have no ill will against those that disagree with me...no matter how foolish and wrong they are. :D
I'd have to agree with BH on this one. I, too, find Stonehaven to be better when young. Just my personal preference.

As for price, I have recently bought it for $35-$50/ bag in retail (online) setting. I guess it depends on how much you are looking to make on it. I've seen them sell as high as $150, but to me that is just insane. I don't know which bothers me more, price gouging by the seller, or the idiocy of the buyer willing to pay so much for it.

I personally have sold some in the past. I think you could easily sell a bag for $80-$100, if you need the extra cash. Anything above that is just pure greed, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

BriarBeagle":bte51pi8 said:
As for price, I have recently bought it for $35-$50/ bag in retail (online) setting.  I guess it depends on how much you are looking to make on it.  I've seen them sell as high as $150, but to me that is just insane.
Isn't this pretty much what I said above? lol

ak2000":kh0u87rw said:
BriarBeagle":kh0u87rw said:
As for price, I have recently bought it for $35-$50/ bag in retail (online) setting.  I guess it depends on how much you are looking to make on it.  I've seen them sell as high as $150, but to me that is just insane.
Isn't this pretty much what I said above? lol
Ha. Well, it appears so. Don't I feel foolish. Serves me right for not reading through all the replies.

Sent from Topic'it App

I guess I don't notice a huge difference between aged and fresh Stonehaven, other than the fact that it smooth's out a hair with a few years on it. But that's burley for you.

Dunbar and Dorchester are fantastic with age. I am whittling my way through a 1990's pre-Butera tin of Dorchester and it still tastes bright and effervescent. I also have several ounces left of a cream colored bag of Dunbar that was marked 2002 by the seller. It's very rich tasting and hasn't lost a step.

If you like latakia, Margate and Penzance also age very well, IMHO. Penzance mellows out some but it becomes noticeably sweeter and I believe that this is one of the reasons why it's so sought after..

DrumsAndBeer":9cu39mti said:
I guess I don't notice a huge difference between aged and fresh Stonehaven, other than the fact that it smooth's out a hair with a few years on it. But that's burley for you.
I've found this very same thing to be true in my experience. Think my present stash dates from around '10 or so and it's quite to my tastes. But there again I do generally prefer aged to fresh in every instance.

I sure do wish it didn't come so dang moist though. It needs a good couple hrs drying to be right for me.

As far as what to charge Mat, you have some good advice above. Guess it comes down to if you want to sell it for what you paid for it or make a profit.

Cheers,

RR

Blackhorse":wdjctcxm said:
ak2000":wdjctcxm said:

I guess your POV makes sense. Lakelands have heavy toppings/casings, and they will dissipate with time. It happens to my beloved Ennerdale -but I still enjoy it even when aged, even when the almond/citrus scent has diminished a lot. As Stonehaven has a rather heavy topping as well, then it will also happen over time.

What's really sad is that 8 ounces can fit in my shirt pocket.

A couple of years don't hurt Stonehaven. Might get those pretty crystals on the flakes.

38 bucks fresh at Just for Him, over the counter. Missouri has the lowest tobacco taxes in the Union.

My tuppence.

I personally enjoy aged Stonehaven better than fresh. I am smoking through a batch of 2007 that to my tastes is pretty darn tasty. It gets smoother and creamier with age. Don't get me wrong, I would never throw it out of bed when fresh as it tastes great like that as well.

As far as a price to sell it at. If I needed the money to feed my family, I would charge as much as I could get.