Stonehaven

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed before but I had my first bowl of this last night. Found 8oz at my local tobacconist so I jarred it up the other day and kept out a couple of bowls for a taste. Left it to dry overnight as I usually do with anything containing virginia tobac. Loaded up a smallish Brigham straight apple and took off in the truck to return some movies to the local Redbox machine. While I was driving it delivered good burley taste but nothing really notable. Needed some work and about 3 matches to get a good even tamp and burn going.

When I got back I sat in the truck to finish the bowl and give it some concentration. Smoked slowly and found it burns quite cool and dry despite the reports of being topped. I was out of pipe cleaners in the truck but never found a huge need for one, very little moisture and just at the end of the bowl. Developed a bit of sweetness about half way through but nothing like a straight VA which is my norm. Definitely delivers a healthy dose of nicotine, got as good a hit from this as I have had in a while.

All in all a decent smoke but not necessarily the stuff that legends are made of. Returned the remainder I kept out to the jar. I will let the jars rest for at least a year before I crack one and see what that does for it.

It's a blend that needs lots of age to shine, IMO. I bought an 8oz pack recently that won't get opened for at least 10 years.

Wow, 10 years is a long time to specifically plan to wait, you obviously have past experience with that. I have pipe tobacco approaching 5 years and cigars in excess of 15, I know it just takes regular purchasing and patience. Once I find something worthy of the cellar, I try and purchase and add to the stock on a regular basis so I can start cracking tins/jars within a year or so and gauge the aging effect over time.

It's a decent smoke but I really don't understand the cult following it has. To me, it's too mild and nothing special really. It looks better than it smokes.

I agree with the Strong Guy, too many fine Burleys to smoke , I wouldn't have this in the CAVE Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Somerset! :tongue:

I found Stonehaven to leave a rather unpleasant "fruity" taste in my mouth. You guys can smoke it all. I'll pass.

one of the reasons I hang here: Y'all speak the truth !

Tried it several times and still have some in the Igloodor.
Its awright........but thats about it.

I have found that if DGT'd it is much better in fact it is very nice... you may want to give it a try

I think you guys are getting the wrong tack after taking the wrong track. I don't claim that I'm a burley aficionado; instead it has been VAs that I've pursued.

But the wrong track is a mild burley: I think Stonehaven hooks with a first class burley taste but has driven a great deal of pipe smokers crazy for at least the duration of the mild tobacco in the bowl.

Uh, I must be in the minority here as I truly love Stonehaven. My local B&M has been out of it for ages and recently got some in. He's holding a bag for me. Very tasty stuff, indeed.

God loves us all - even the sad and deluded brothers that don't care for Stonehaven - his finest creation! lol

To me, there are many unique aspects to Stonehaven (God's Finest Creation) not least among them is (to me) that it doesn't improve with age. To the contrary, very much like Penzance, it's best when fresh and the flavors ebb over time. I don't appreciate ebbing I guess. Another interesting thing about Stonehaven (GFC) is that the flavors that develop during the smoke remind me quite a bit of Gawaith's Dark Flake Unscented and Dark Plug. Well, that's enough from me. I can hear the angry villagers with their muttered curses and clanging of pitchforks, etc. I'm outta here!

It's good but it ain't that good, smoke Park Lanes Red Paramour and that would be the best blend created so far.

Love it. Muddler got me on to it, just brilliant full rich smoke, a little rich for everyday smoke tho'
Very nice stuff indeed IMHO!

Found it: a jar put up in January 2005. It certainly changed since I last puffed it. Not the mouth party I remember. The Esoterica curse strikes again. Smoke it fresh, I say.

I'm with you guys on this one. Got a few flakes in a trade and tried it fold n' stuffed once and cubed once. I could taste the topping (sort of bean-like?) and a whisper of sweetness here and there, but it was rather unremarkable to me.