Storing and Opening Jarred Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosierPuffer

Reaction score
Well, I went to Meijer the other day and bought a case of mason jars to start storing tobacco with.

A couple of questions:

1. I'm packing ~ 2 oz in each jar. Is that a good practice? (I smoke slowly.)
  2. I'm using one of those label makers to label my jars. How long will the little sticky label stay on the jar? Any ideas?
  3. Is it a bad idea to occasionally open a jar of tobacco and smoke some? (I like to have several blends open at once and smoke slowly.)
  4. What about reusing jars? Does the tobacco smell come out easily?
  5. What is the square root of pi?

Those are some questions I've had too. Here's my thoughts....

1) I smoke slow too, but I am storing mine in the large mason jars. My plan is that when it comes time to crack open one of those jars, I will transfer the contents to several smaller jars. Sometimes I kinda wish I'd used the smaller jars, in the hopes that if I encounter breakage, a bad seal, or mold, that my loss will be limited to a smaller amount.

2) I'm not inclined to trust sticky labels. I use a permanent marker pen.

3) Another good reason to use smaller jars, I think. Every time you open it, you risk it being contaminated such that mold or something else might take hold. I can't speak to whether repeated openings affects the aging pricess one or the other.

4) To me, comparing the cost of the jars vs the cost and value of the contents (especially if the plan is to age it for some years), I'll always use new jars.

5) FAPP, 1.772 :D

HoosierPuffer":cnldvklp said:
Well, I went to Meijer the other day and bought a case of mason jars to start storing tobacco with.

A couple of questions:

This is fine, but I like to cellar great quantities which I try to not pop for several years.

2. I'm using one of those label makers to label my jars. How long will the little sticky label stay on the jar? Any ideas?
    I have one of these labelers, and I consider them essential to tobacco cellaring. (Nothing worse than looking at an unlabled jar and trying to figure out what the heck it is). Mine don't peel off, some have been in the closet for 3 or 4 years. In fact, if you fondle your jars the way I do, you'll find that the sharpie will rub off.
  3. Is it a bad idea to occasionally open a jar of tobacco and smoke some? (I like to have several blends open at once and smoke slowly.)
    What I do is leave some out in empty tins or cans and smoke from here. Then when it runs out, order another pound so I can keep some out and cellar more. If you open one, don't worry. Reseal it and it will continue to age.

I reuse jars all the time, just make sure the circles have a seal still. If you have a dish washer, put them in there with no soap. The hot water will sanitize them. I used to boil jars, but I rarely do anymore. I haven't notice any transfer of flavors.
    The irrational number: 1.7724539...

One other thing: don't forget to date them, so you know how long they have been cellared.

HoosierPuffer":qum5weqo said:

A couple of questions:

#5.

more digits available upon request

For me there is not alternative. You have to use jars for cellaring pipe tobacco and it seems you are doing a pretty good job at it.

I reuse jars I just run them thru the dishwasher and make sure they are dry. When I reuse jars I just change the lid insert so you have a new seal there cheap 2.00 for 12.

For question #2 use some clear packing tape to tape over the lables. If you do that they will stay on for a long while.