Storing baccy on the high desert

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabuhrer

Reaction score
This is kind of a newbie question, but I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their tobacco drying out in dry climates? I've only been smoking for a few months, but in that time I've noticed that the couple of ounces of tobacco that I had sitting out in a baggy seemed to be noticeably drier after a couple of months. I now have the larger quantities of my stuff stored in mason jars, but I've also noticed that a lot of people say that they often leave tobacco in baggies for months with no problems. I suppose that they live in more humid climates. Is there anyone else that lives in a dry climate that has noticed baccy drying out in baggies? I've also read some comments on tobaccoreviews.com about some tobacco losing flavor if it is left in a baggy for too long. Anyone care to enlighten a newbie: are dryness and gas exchange an issue, or am I over thinking this?

I live in a rather humid climate and still find baggies inadequate at keep tobacco moist for more than a few weeks at most (except for extra-goopy junk). Use mason jars.

-Andrew

Sometimes, infrequently, it can get a little dry here too. Generally, we get high humidity like 15%-20%, but at times we have weeks at 2%-10% Relative Humidity. :tongue:

Dump your plastic, unless you want to use at least five layers of it! Maintain the humidors on routine and regular basis, if you have cigars. Don't let them get too hot and too humid due to tobacco beetle, unless you freeze on receipt.

For pipe tobacco I've given up on factory containers and immediately jar in Ball canning jars; half-pint, pint, quart and half-gallon. Check you grocery store or Ace hardware. Even then, if I dip frequently into a large jar, which I really try to avoid, I find a need to re-humidify. So is life ......

Plastic passess water vapor fairly easily, so it sucks for storage in low humidity environments.

PS: Right now, in the living room I'm at 19% RH without augment. Man, can that suck the water out of cigars and pipe tobacco! :x

PSS: I lived north of Denver in Longmont for 15 years. Yes, the dryness can be a problem, but nothing like in the Mojave Desert!! Best of luck and hope you get it figured out!!

Living in Arizona where in the summer we have 110 degree temps for weeks on end. I keep my bulks in jars in the smoking room/home office away from direct sunlight. Open tins I will put a piece of cellophane over the open container/tin and then put on the lid. I try and only keep a days worth of tobacco in my pouch for work or when out because it does tend to get pretty dry pretty quick. In the winter (of all times of the year) the humidity drops to near nothing and the tobacco seems to dry out even quicker.

The above is all excellent advice and most certainly accords with my own experience as well.