Storing Boxes of New Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
I am curious about what some of you do when you get new boxes of cigars, and do not need to open them right away. If you have more than one humidor, and they are big enough, the question is: Do you open the box and put the cigars in the humidor, or do you put the box iteself, unopened, in the humidor??? I do the latter (leave it unopened in the humidor); seems to be the same as if it was in a walk-in humidor in a cigar shop, where they store sealed boxes for sale. Some may feel that the cigars should be out of the box to rnhance "breathing". By the way, there may be a number of sub-questioins here.....1 - Would it make a difference if the cigars are cellophane wrapped, or not? 2 - If they are cellophane wrapped, and you do take them out of the box upon receipt, do you also remove the cellophane IMMEDIATELY to enhance breathing and aging???? Opinions???

Mine go into my coolerdor. Usually for at least 5 years since I don't smoke a lot of cigars these days. Sealed box, cello stays on them till it is all yellow and brittle. Last ones in were my Christmas #2's, should be really tasty about 2015!

I always just buy one box of cigars and store them the way they come from the manufacturer in a small bar fridge with humidification. The fridge is just a storage container as it is not plugged in and there is no refrigeration. I maintain proper humidification at 70% with a moist towel and a barometer When I open the box of cigars, I leave the remaining sticks cello wrapped and they smoke just fine. As an occasional cigar smoker a box of 20 cigars could easily last 12 to 18 months. My choice in cigars is Partagas Black Label 6x54 ring guage. A cigar of that size and robust strength is an all day event. I enjoy an occasional cigar, but simultaneously, I miss the pipe. I find that over time, I've hit fewer cigars and more pipes because the variety of pipe tobaccos over the course of a day seems more appealing than the same cigar.