Storing Full Boxes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Ok, how bout this one guys, Is it ok to just throw a full box of celo sealed cigars into a drawer and forget about them or should the sealed box itself be humidified?... I'm looking to age said cigars for a signifigant period of time...What think ye?..

Humidified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or you will have a ruined box. Celophane breathes so leave it on.

Also, for long term aging you probably want to put a coolerador together or you will go mad emptying that new pretty humidor. PM me if you need the details of how and what is needed.

Hermit":ktfvmraa said:
Coolers!
I like the 48qt size; they stack nicely in the closet. :twisted:

Knowing you like to do things right, you also need these.
^ Yup.

I have a 48qt Coleman with 2 half pound sacks of beads. She sits right at 65% rh. I probably have 10 10-25ct boxes and about 50 singles and shes only about 3/4 full.

BriarBrad":m0nitdyv said:
Also, for long term aging you probably want to put a coolerador together or you will go mad emptying that new pretty humidor. PM me if you need the details of how and what is needed.

Would you be willing to post this to the DIY section? I should think that many of us would find this helpful. 8)

kieveryuu":2ecxcf2g said:
BriarBrad":2ecxcf2g said:

Would you be willing to post this to the DIY section? I should think that many of us would find this helpful. 8)
+1 :lol:

I've never been one to jazz up my coolers
with trays, shelves, lining and stuff.

My SOP is: rinse the thing with warm soapy
water, leave it open in the sun for a day,
fill it with boxes of cigars, put in a bag of beads.

That's it.

I'm with Hermit, but I have added a supply of water beads, held in a Tupperware container, with a three inch layer of humidity beads on top in another container, the bottom replaced with netting - once fitted together the quart or so supply of water keeps the humidity beads fed - refill with water every 6 months or so...

The lower container lid gets a hole about an inch and a half in diameter to keep from over feeding the beads.

I use another sack or two of beads in there as well, to suck up any extra moisture, which require no hydration.

For simplicity, a container filled with water beads, small hole in lid, bag of beads tossed on top to block hole - and adjust :)

Hermit":c2n63ig0 said:

That's it.
Thats what I do but I use Silica cat litter. Its the same stuff just much cheaper. Just make sure you get unscented. And I use a spray bottle with distlied water every few weeks on the litter just till its wet. Holds a perfect 68%.

IF you want to try it, just cover shipping and ill send you however much you want.

BigBehr":jnixeufo said:
Hermit":jnixeufo said:

That's it.
Thats what I do but I use Silica cat litter. Its the same stuff just much cheaper. Just make sure you get unscented. And I use a spray bottle with distlied water every few weeks on the litter just till its wet. Holds a perfect 68%.

IF you want to try it, just cover shipping and ill send you however much you want.

I might need a lot. I have two indoor cats, two outdoor cats and five kittens. :cat:

Ok, couple things.

1) Who cares if cellophane breaths? If you have a box, can seal it so it fits, your cigars will be much happier without it. People have discussed this ad infinitum. I will tell you what I do and I welcome you to pick your own poison. I would leave cello on in a tray or box filled with singles, otherwise, merge and fortify the possibility of them getting air, conjoined flavor, aroma, and fermentation, which is STILL going on. You can do it by yourself, or you can work as a team. Nough said.

Oh, since some people don't think about it, don't put infused cigars in with traditional smokes. Box, cello, whatever.

2) I have (I live in Canada) ;) in my thermoelectric wine fridge, JUST FROM THIS WEEK, about $1500 of cigars to with about close to 25 boxes of cigars from some island south of miami. But you don't need to have that kind of money, product, or obsession to put cat litter in your humidor, coolidor, tupperdor, or wineador. Cat litter does not release and absorb humidity like humidity specific beads, end of story. The ONLY reason I would have kitty litter near my stuff is to deal with condensation, but there never is any. You know why? Because of consistency. We can argue what the best humidity level is for NCs, CCs, smoking, aging, or dry-boxing, but if it is just a degree or two, CONSISTENCY is far more important than chasing a number.

Also, if you do indulge in contraband, I hope you are freezing your cigars to prevent beetles. They can hatch at 65 degrees, it just takes longer.

3) I had a friend who had his coolidor on the ground and when he was away, a basement rug got wet. He never realized it because of the color if the carpet and how long he was away and then smoked stuff out of a small humidor. 125 boxes RUINED due to mold. Even my fridge is raised off the floor and I live in a second floor apartment. Why? BECAUSE I'M INSANE! :bounce:

Ok, off soapbox and in all seriousness. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; in my case, about 20.

Now I know most people on here don't smoke that much and it's probably not worth your time and effort, but the beads last much longer, serve a consistent function, and they are idiot-proof. (I'm using them, aren't I?) :cheers:

Behike54":7nijyz5i said:
Ok, couple things.

But you don't need to have that kind of money, product, or obsession to put cat litter in your humidor, coolidor, tupperdor, or wineador. Cat litter does not release and absorb humidity like humidity specific beads, end of story. The ONLY reason I would have kitty litter near my stuff is to deal with condensation, but there never is any. You know why? Because of consistency. We can argue what the best humidity level is for NCs, CCs, smoking, aging, or dry-boxing, but if it is just a degree or two, CONSISTENCY is far more important than chasing a number.
I'd be curious as to where you got this info. I used Kitty liter for quite some time on the same set up as you have. I never had a problem keeping 70%/68F. At one point I did over saturate the litter. I had standing water in my bead tray. My RH got to 75% before I noticed. Once I Noticed I added a tray of dry litter, and it pulled it right back down to 70% within a day. Since then I have put them in a hanging net bag. I would image the same to happen with the beads. Bottom line you have to pay attention, with ether product. Also if you don’t mind me asking what are the beads made out of? But I Do agree consistency above all else is best.

Behike54":68vzcn80 said:
Ok, couple things.

1) Who cares if cellophane breaths? If you have a box, can seal it so it fits, your cigars will be much happier without it. People have discussed this ad infinitum. I will tell you what I do and I welcome you to pick your own poison. I would leave cello on in a tray or box filled with singles, otherwise, merge and fortify the possibility of them getting air, conjoined flavor, aroma, and fermentation, which is STILL going on. You can do it by yourself, or you can work as a team. Nough said.

Oh, since some people don't think about it, don't put infused cigars in with traditional smokes. Box, cello, whatever.

2) I have (I live in Canada) ;) in my thermoelectric wine fridge, JUST FROM THIS WEEK, about $1500 of cigars to with about close to 25 boxes of cigars from some island south of miami. But you don't need to have that kind of money, product, or obsession to put cat litter in your humidor, coolidor, tupperdor, or wineador. Cat litter does not release and absorb humidity like humidity specific beads, end of story. The ONLY reason I would have kitty litter near my stuff is to deal with condensation, but there never is any. You know why? Because of consistency. We can argue what the best humidity level is for NCs, CCs, smoking, aging, or dry-boxing, but if it is just a degree or two, CONSISTENCY is far more important than chasing a number.

Also, if you do indulge in contraband, I hope you are freezing your cigars to prevent beetles. They can hatch at 65 degrees, it just takes longer.

3) I had a friend who had his coolidor on the ground and when he was away, a basement rug got wet. He never realized it because of the color if the carpet and how long he was away and then smoked stuff out of a small humidor. 125 boxes RUINED due to mold. Even my fridge is raised off the floor and I live in a second floor apartment. Why? BECAUSE I'M INSANE! :bounce:

Ok, off soapbox and in all seriousness. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; in my case, about 20.

Now I know most people on here don't smoke that much and it's probably not worth your time and effort, but the beads last much longer, serve a consistent function, and they are idiot-proof. (I'm using them, aren't I?) :cheers:
Guys, I have to agree with everything Behike 54 has stated above. What you are attempting to do with your tobacco while ageing, is essentially the same as when you cook a roast in a crock pot. You want all the flavors to blend. If you have invested the money in an entire box of well made cigars, for Gods sake, take the time to remove the cellos, and give them optimal room to breathe and blend inside the box they are packaged in.

Ditto on the cheap beads. In quantity, all beads and gel are very affordable, so go ahead and splurge and get the good ones and save yourself the worries about mold forming on your precious sticks.

I leave the cellos on to protect the cigars from handling - another ounce of prevention for me. I find they age just fine.