Storm of 2010

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabomano

Reaction score
Okay. That's it. I'm done with it. I only want to see snow on a calendar. Here in Pennsylvania we got 27" of snow in 24 hours. The worst single snowfall in 67 years. Everything's crippled. Counties are declared disaster areas and most are under a state of emergency.

A few photos for your viewing pleasure.

Ray

storm-10.jpg

storm-11.jpg

storm-12.jpg

storm-13.jpg

Indeed it is a PITA. I still don't think we got as much as we did in the '96 episode, but it is more than enough for one storm.

The only fun part about it was dumping a shovelfull of snow down my wife's back, and burying our neighbors kids up to their freezing necks and then refusing to dig them out again.

I still am unable to comprehend the difficulty so many people around here have driving in the snow and just dealing with it in general. It's not like they haven't seen it before.

More PA pics here: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/the-round-table-f12/snow-pics-t7657.htm

Newsworthiness is relative. 90 degrees F in New York for a week in July is a heat emergency. The same temp in Phoenix is freakishly cool.

The Great Seaboard Blizzard of '10 is just another night's accumulation in the Western high country cities.

Everyone survives just fine.

The 24/7 News Machine loves emergencies and disasters because such things pull in customers, so the threshold of what constitutes such an event has been dropping like an elevator for years.

Let's see... (runs off to check news bookmarks)

First site clicked: FOX News.
Headline: WHALE WAR!
Actual story: Conservationists are playing "boat chicken" with whale harvesters in the open ocean.

When I was a kid, such a story would merit two column inches on page four. Today it's the full-caps headline, complete with hyperbolic word choices and a full color photo spread.

You're 100% correct. Plus the fact that head meteorologists are higher paid than news anchors. That should tell us where priorities lie.

The weatherpeople on the news have perhaps the most useless occupation of the modern age in my humble opinion.

LL":8pk38gls said:
The 24/7 News Machine loves emergencies and disasters because such things pull in customers, so the threshold of what constitutes such an event has been dropping like an elevator for years.
What? Next you'll be telling us that everything that the news media tack the suffix "-gate" onto isn't a serious scandal!

(Our local news site had a headline about "Hooker Gate Controversy"... turned out to be a problem with trafic congestion at a school gate on Hooker St.)

Seriously, though, the worst side-effect of the Fear-and-Hype Machine of media is that people who are actually in some serious trouble get buried on page 15 if their disaster isn't sexy or runs against a bigger news cycle. All the Lakota people freezing to death out on the Rez these past few weeks, buried under more ice than the Eastern seaboard, had the doubly bad luck to be sufferring at the same time as Haiti.

jabomano":qz0npu7a said:
You're 100% correct. Plus the fact that head meteorologists are higher paid than news anchors. That should tell us where priorities lie.
That's because weather announcers are without question the most talented, informed, highly trained, and all-around most professional people in broadcasting.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViOghSbu-xQ&feature=related

We've got green grass here in Ontario right now and it's freakin' me out. I think you guys got our snow. Last year we got dumped on like that 3 times over 2 weeks. I had a 4 foot + drift between my house and my neighbour. This year is strange for us.

Hey stoked.... Did you say something about green? I was photographing my place today and low and behold I saw GREEN!!!!!

d7cu2812.jpg

Well my grass isn't green, but I can see the brown grass on the lawn, with a bit of snow in the shaded and protected areas. And I don't miss it at all.

And you can't even blame this one on us, this is a Dixie clipper, not something that slipped down from Canada. Now you know how those of us in the North live, although yu have to get the duration thing down pat.

My first year in Canada I spent the winter in Ottawa, and by February you couldn't see the street when you walked down the sidewalk, the snow was piled up over head high, and the only way out to the street was the cuts made by shovelling out the snow. People would come to blows when someone tried to park in a spot that someone else had shovelled out.

You guys with flatter roofs might give a thought to shovelling them off, that much wet snow is mighty heavy.

And if you are tired of shovelling out the end of your driveway only to have it filled back in by the snow plow I suggest a quick look at this ingenious answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUefIsmhGyMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUefIsmhGyM

I am so happy that I do not live in the snow belt any more. :bounce:

LL":j653qh40 said:
jabomano":j653qh40 said:
That's because weather announcers are without question the most talented, informed, highly trained, and all-around most professional people in broadcasting.
Oh....I thought that was Glen Beck! :lol!:

jabomano":lmfl6xv4 said:
Hey stoked.... Did you say something about green? I was photographing my place today and low and behold I saw GREEN!!!!!

d7cu2812.jpg

Where's the clip with you in your bermuda shorts on a chez lounge sipping a pina colada? Photoshop that in and make up a calendar for next year. Don't forget the pipe!