Straight Edge Razors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maduro Man WCP":gprl4jah said:
funny, i have under $75 invested in strop and razor..... $38 for strop and $12 for razor.

BUT i have more than one razor, the most expensive, (and oldest) was $23.
I'm not exactly going to argue with that. However, it's kind of like saying you can get someone a pipe and tobacco for under $15. You can, but it isn't easy and, in my opinion, the experience will likely be compromised if you do. It's a lot easier to spot a bargain when you have experience in a hobby. As a newby, it's taking a big chance.

I'll agree with the strop price, but I haven't seen any good straights at $12 in a long time. I did pick up a Boker Red Injun 101 for $40 that shaves pretty nice, but that took a lot of looking. Prices have been increasing quite a bit over the last few years as the hobby has gained interest. Maybe a generous member of BadgerandBlade can help out with a bargain as they are a great group of guys. I'll admit that the classified sections at that site and straightrazorplace do have a few razors in the $25 range now and then that could work. I wouldn't be happy with what I've seen in that price range, but...look, I mean this...maybe I'm a snob (I don't think I am, but who does? You decide). I started out pipe smoking with a new Dr. Grabow pipe and some Capt Black. I never enjoyed it. So, for someone starting to smoke pipes, I would recommend laying down $60 for a Savinelli pipe and $10 for a nice tin of tobacco or a shop's tobacco sampler. I wouldn't tell them they can get started for under $20. I'm saying this so Pheonix can think about the two ways of thinking compared to pipe smoking. I could be wrong. Maduro Man has a point. I just don't think it's as easy as it sounds.

Comparing to pipes again, my other issue is, how many pipe smokers just own a pipe and a pouch of tobacco? There are lighters, racks, jars, etc., that add to the enjoyment. You can do without them, but will you? It's the same with straight razor shaving. Suddenly, it's not a chore, it's a hobby. Cha Ching! You want to optimize the experience.

Professional honing for anyone's first straight razor is a must. I'm happy to hone my own now, but it would have been crazy to do that starting out. If you send it to a honemeister, such as at straightrazordesigns, it'll cost $20. If you choose to buy stones, it'll cost more. I highly recommend sending your first straight to a honemeister so you know how the shave is supposed to feel. It sets a benchmark. Then there are strop pastes (you may want another strop for that), stiptic pencils for you cuts, etc., etc. The point is, it can add up fast.

I'll agree with Maduro Man in that you don't have to go hog wild spending to get started on something that many people eventually quit anyway, but I don't recommend trying to get started on a shoestring either. I'd stick with DE razors if cost is your immediate concern.

i used to smoke the hell outa borkum riff but now can't stomach it since being exposed to better quality.

the same holds true with anything but part of the trill for me is the hunt, finding razors that are old and can be brought back to shave again. it is like i am holding history in my hands.

i admit to being burned once or twice because i let stars get in my eyes, but if the blade is free of nicks or pits on the cutting end it can be brought back by a good honemiester.

BUT if you are going to buy a new razor stay the hell away from anything made in india. if you heat up one of them bglades it might cut though soft butter... go with a known name like dovo.

I have been considering changing to a DE since I am never satisfied with the shave I get from the drugstore Gilletes. I have my eye on the Merkur #34C along with a badger hair brush and good fragrance soap. For me, personal appearance is an important ritual, and I like to look my best.

I can't stand the mach3 and other multi-blade razors..Sure, they seem to cut fast, but they never seem to match the contours on my face. I've had a few straight razors, but they were all poor quality so I never put them to my face. I use an old "Sitck Shick" injector razor I inherited.. Near as I can tell, it's from the early 70's, and It's definitely the best shave out of everything I've tried.

attachment.php

How does time shaving compare between straight edges and double edge razors. I have been using the DE razors and can shave in under 10 minutes from start to finish. My time includes washing face, lathering with a brush and shaving with blade. I lathering and shaving 3 times. I can see whiskers in some trouble spots and do have some irritation afterwards. There are occasionally the inevitable cuts and bleeding but they are not really a problem. I am in all modesty fairly good with a DE razor, but admit to a certain level of fear standing in front of a mirror and holding a straight edge blade in my hand.

To be honest, I'm not concerned with the increase in time. I'll spend the time if I can get the shave that I want. I'm tired of the bad job that multi blade razors due and the exhorbitant cost of buying them!

I certainly agree wit the Preacher.
My concern is do I want to spend 30 minutes avoiding cuts and getting a great shave or 10 minutes without cuts and getting a good shave.

Your situation is better than mine. I'm spending 10 min and still getting a crappy shave. I have to meet with clients and parents (I own a home daycare) and I want to look my best. Personal appearance is so very important (I'm even working to lose weight).