Strange experience

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekkerdude

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if is is the right place for this so if not could a mod move it please?

I have not been smoking that long only two months now; in this time i have been smoking Petersons nutty cut and enjoying it. Because I have been getting along with it fine and only having one pipe (a Bull brand pipe), I decided to get myself a churchwarden pipe. After my new pipe had arrived I loaded it up with the nutty cut and proceeded to smoke it, when I had smoked the bowl (which was no bigger than the one in my original pipe) I felt all giddy and quite weird.

My question is, what could this be? And has anyone else experienced this?

Regards,

I guess this topic could go here... *shrug* It's not super strict on BoB, but we're naturally organized. :lol:

I can't help but ponder that since longer stems equal cooler smoke, you were inadvertently over-enjoying your Nutty Cut in a churchwarden. Often, shorter stems will be a little hotter and "bite" a little more, thus, I'd assume most will back off the drags a little, and making for less nicotine exposure.

Or, you were just really excited to smoke out of a churchwarden. :lol:

...was the Trekker pounding one too many Romulan ales? :twisted:

Lol at Kyle, I wish but quarks closed at few years ago which is a shame because I wanted to go when the Star Trek The Experience was open.

The pipe was a brand new pipe, hand carved. I purchased it from a gentleman on eBay who had several pipes for sale that he had crafted.

It just seems strange because as I said I have no problem smoking the tobacco in my Bull pipe. I will have to try it again and see if I have the same results.

Trekkerdude":abxk6fcy said:
Lol at Kyle, I wish but quarks closed at few years ago which is a shame because I wanted to go when the Star Trek The Experience was open.

The pipe was a brand new pipe, hand carved. I purchased it from a gentleman on eBay who had several pipes for sale that he had crafted.

It just seems strange because as I said I have no problem smoking the tobacco in my Bull pipe. I will have to try it again and see if I have the same results.
Too much trouble at the Dabo tables. :lol:

I still think you may have just simply been enjoying the churchwarden setup a little too much....try slowing down (a generic answer, I apologize) and see if you aren't feeling a little less euphoric... :drunken: :drunken:

Sounds like a nicotine buzz to me. What type of wood is the churchwarden made of? Some woods are actually toxic when used for smoking, briar is not.

Well I've just gone back to check the original listing and it says that the pipe is made from Ash.

I bough it from the eBay seller martlett1, The one I have is the wizard pipe

Simple Man":f7xyj5wc said:
shootist51":f7xyj5wc said:
What type of wood is the churchwarden made of? Some woods are actually toxic when used for smoking, briar is not.
GAH! I would hope there is no one out there making and selling pipes from toxic woods!!! :affraid:
www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-alergies-and-toxicity/

This data base lists many woods used in wood working and also the toxicity of those woods. The main concern is the health hazards of dust exposure for wood workers.

Ash is listed as causing decreased respiratory function.

In another google entry, "tobacco pipe wood", ash is listed as the ideal wood for long stemmed pipes, ie.; churchwardens.

My point is that perhaps the pipe itself could cause the distress described by the OP. If this is the case, it may be due to small traces of dust present in the pipe, which a good cleaning could solve.

Should you choose to explore this topic further and read the article on toxicity, it lists many species of wood, common and exotic and makes for a good read.

At the very least, should you stumble across a corpse with a pipe clamped firmly between the teeth, you will be in a better position to anylise cause of death when Inspector Lestrade makes his appearence!

Interesting... the link didn't go directly there, but I found the article easily enough. Anyway, it makes me wonder what kind of wood the hardwood pipes at Missouri Meerschaum are made out of? I know they have been around for a very long time and are apparently safe, but all they say on the website are maple finish and cherry finish... anyone know what the wood is? Here is a link, http://www.corncobpipe.com/product.php?productid=16150&cat=271&page=1

That's quite interesting, I think the lung problems could be related to the inhalation of the sawdust during the crafting of a pipe. Think I will have to do as shootist says and give it a good cleaning out.

Thank you for your answers and suggestions

Was the experience terrible? From your description, it simply sounds like a nice nic-hit.

It was very strange to me as I hadn't encountered it before and wasn't expecting it as I had already been smoking that tobacco. I felt really giddy and a bit disorientated but I was fine after about 20 mins. The only time I have felt anything similar is when I have had too much to drink. And I hadn't been drinking so it wasn't that.

Trekkerdude":38mdmn3c said:
It was very strange to me as I hadn't encountered it before and wasn't expecting it as I had already been smoking that tobacco. I felt really giddy and a bit disorientated but I was fine after about 20 mins. The only time I have felt anything similar is when I have had too much to drink. And I hadn't been drinking so it wasn't that.
Yup. Nic-hit.

I had a similar experience but with a hookah when I was young and dumb. It started with an euphoric feeling, but then one of my roommates told me my face had turned pale grey... Then the nausea came and I tried to stand up but became so dizzy I fell over!

Rapidly smoking two bowls back to back turned out to be a bad idea.

That was when I stopped smoking hookahs...

So I agree with the nic-hit explanation!

Hope you have many happy smokes with that churchwarden! :cheers:

As I said in my original post, sounds like a nicotine buzz. I have experienced the same thing with strong pipe tobacco, cigars and cigarrettes at different times.

Also once when partaking of a certain herb, but I don't think that was nicotine :clown:

As I stated, most of the toxicity of wood seems to be related to inhalation of the dust while working the wood, but I can see where the smoke from a pipe that an individual has an allergy to the wood used might also cause some distress.

Well im back and im sure that it was the pipe. I gave the pipe a good cleaning and gave the.stem a good blow through and a quantity of wood dust came out. Its possible that I was inadvertently smoking this as well as the tobacco. I filled the pipe up with the same tobacco and had a much more plesurable smoke without any of the giddyness first experienced.

Trekkerdude":dnpweycr said:
Well im back and im sure that it was the pipe. I gave the pipe a good cleaning and gave the.stem a good blow through and a quantity of wood dust came out. Its possible that I was inadvertently smoking this as well as the tobacco. I filled the pipe up with the same tobacco and had a much more plesurable smoke without any of the giddyness first experienced.
I'd still say that Joshua hit the nail on the head. It sounds like nicotine to me. My guess is the "wood dust" you saw is mostly dried ash and dottle, but even if not, I think its more likely just a coincidence.