strong full bodied VA

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveyNY

Reaction score
OK, gentlemen,

I am looking for another full, rich citric-y, full-bodied VA only blend.

Presently here is my warmer month rotation that I am really enjoying:

VA only
PS 701 (very light to me)
Gawith Dark Flake unscented (nice and full bodied)

VAPER
PS LNF
Bayou Morning

Can anyone recommend a nice rich, full bodied Straight VA that is not cigar like in taste such as the Dark Flake. Being a cigar smoker I love the taste but am looking to gain variety. WIth the exception of dark Star all these seem a bit light to me...

Thanks all,

David

Here are some to try:

McClelland Blackwoods Flake
F&T Cut Blended Plug and Cut Virginia Plug. (The Blended is fuller and sweeter, while the Virginia is lighter and has more of that citrus note.)
Dunhill Flake
GH Dark Bird's Eye. (If you like the Dark Flake, you should like this; it's a dark, rich, meaty fine-cut Virginia, a tiny bit sweeter and rather less cigarish than DF)

The most "full bodied" ALL VA blend/mixture for me and many others is Dunhill's Royal Yacht and if you like Red Va's I'd recommend McC's FM2000. They work for me and an extra with the RY is the hit lady 'N' gives ya with it !!  :twisted: :twisted:

Grousemoor might do you. It ticks off your boxes, light and bright.
OGS, but it has a bit of perique.

I'm liking McCrainie's Red Flake 2000 but it's a one crop. Someone said it's like the single malt Scotch of VAs.

Full bodied: Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Brown Bogie (A.K.A. Happy Bogie)

Often over looked yet delightful Va is Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, not a full bodied smoke but a superb natural Va.

It's not super strong or full, but Newminster Superior Navy Flake is a good one. I'd call it a solid medium at least.

Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired, quite simply one of the best tobacco's out there, though it does also have Kentucky. But the Va's are 40 yr old and the Kentucky is around 30 yr old.

Dunhill Flake

Orlik Golden Sliced

My current favorite VA is Erik Stokkbye's 4th Generation 1855. It is a pure, straight Virginia that offers a wonderfully sweet smoke. That being said, it demands a really good technique in order to get the flavor and not burn the crap out of your tongue. But very much worth the effort if you are a VA lover!