Strong virginia flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am after a virginian tobacco, pref a flake; I quite enjoyed Fribourg & Treyer's Vintage Flake but I am after something a bit stronger and more full-bodied. A good amount of Vitamen N won't scare me off, either.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Tristan :farao:

You might enjoy Orlik/Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake. It combines red Va and fire-cured Kentucky. It's the same blend from either company.

GH Dark Flake Unscented is about the strongest flake I have smoked. I like it, but in small - very small - doses. It's got some burley in it, not sure if that's a deal breaker for you.

It's not a flake, but if you want a nice full, dark Va with LOTS of Lady N try some Dunhill Royal Yacht! mmmmmm :p

Solani Silver Flake is nice. It's got some Kentucky in it which gives it some edge, but the balance in flavor is well done. Anyway my opinion is bold flavor and Med/Strong in the nicotine department. SF may not float your nicotine boat but it's definitely worth a try because it's just damn plain awesome tobacco.

I 2nd Dave_in_Philly's suggestion for GH Dark Flake. I can't smoke the stuff though. Coniston Cut Plug is another if you don't mind a bit of the "essence" hiding out in the background. CCP has an ass-kicking amount of nic. I am sweating thinking about it.

Yea it doesn't get much stronger than Dark Flake :drunken:

Also, I'd suggest Full Virginia flake if you want something closer to medium-strong. I can still smoke FVF all day but it does pack more of a punch than F&T vintage flake

Of things not already mentioned I would put Astleys 44 and Wessex brigade campaign in the medium to medium+ range. Nowhere near as strong as Dark flake though (and I personally prefer Dark birdseye from GH&Co).

About the only Va Flake you're ever going to find that's 100% Va is Union Square. The rest will have some Burley to fill out the bottom end (standard blending practice) and/or be additionally "flavored" to one extent or another (usually both).

SG's Best Brown, Golden Glow & FVF are minimally boogered-with.

:face:

Union Square (which I'm incidentally enjoying right now) isn't what I'd call a strong VA, but it sure is a nice one, and one of my favorites. It's about as simple (ingredient-wise) as it gets, and has a great personality. 8)

...I'd recommend G&H Dark Plug or Revor Plug...not a flake but certainly has a Vit. N kick and sometimes will take your breath away...While I do enjoy strong plugs/falkes, this one or the Revor Plug are mighty fine!

GH Dark Flake Unscented (and the plug version), and FVF. Be aware the Dark Flake is scented. The explanation I have read is that the Unscented is cased, but not topped, and the scented is both. Big difference.

OK. I have ordered some unscented Dark Flake, Jackknife and Royal Yatch from smokingpipes.com; I'll let y'all know what I think when I get them! Cheers for all the suggestions.

Excellent. Post back here when you recover. :lol:

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

8)

Well after a little stopover in customs, my order finally found it's way to me.

So far I have tried two bowls of the GH Dark Flake Unscented and hot damn, you gents weren't lying when you said it packed a punch! Big nicotine hit. The flavour is a bit rough around the edges but I still quite enjoyed it. Burnt nice and even after a bit of drying out. Overall I am pretty impressed.

Will continue to post as I try the others.

Tristo out.

We're not a bunch of sly poofs over here, no matter what you've heard. :lol: :twisted:

Yak":2tgxndd0 said:
About the only Va Flake you're ever going to find that's 100% Va is Union Square. The rest will have some Burley to fill out the bottom end (standard blending practice) and/or be additionally "flavored" to one extent or another (usually both).

Is this true? the only 100% VA is union square?

Bill

billmess":7j6yjnzj said:
Yak":7j6yjnzj said:

Is this true? the only 100% VA is union square?

Bill
Pretty much.

GLP once said that pretty much every blend out there has at least a little burley even if not listed as an ingredient

We should compile a list of any known 100% VA blends just for fun.... I can't think of any!
:study:

I find Rattray's HOTW to be a virginia with a pretty damn good nic content. I guess there is some perique in it, but I have never tasted it, except for the very last of the bowl.