Strong virginia flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The strongest Va flake Ive had is Petersons Irish Flake. I lit up a bowl early one morning and it sat me down pretty quik.

billmess":ni0heyto said:
Is this true? the only 100% VA is union square?
In the sense it is Virginia with no toppings, casings or other additives, yes. I hate using "100%" only because honestly, a fly could crap in it someplace and offset that number. :lol: It's as close to pure Virginia pipeweed as it gets.

8)

glpease.com":ni0heyto said:
Union Square: First released in June, 2009, Union Square is the first 100% virginia tobacco to be developed by G.L. Pease. No sugars, sauces, or flavourings are used in the blend - just pure virginia goodness.

Kyle Weiss":dzcnew1s said:
We're not a bunch of sly poofs over here, no matter what you've heard. :lol: :twisted:
Kyle you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that! :cheers: :lol:

Kyle Weiss":r0ini99v said:
In the sense it is Virginia with no toppings, casings or other additives, yes. I hate using "100%" only because honestly, a fly could crap in it someplace and offset that number. :lol: It's as close to pure Virginia pipeweed as it gets.

8)
BlaBla's presentation could have used work, but useful quotes my Mr. Pease...I thought they'd be pertinent here:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t18205-interesting-info-regarding-additives-in-pipe-tobacco-blend

unwelcomeguest":um9z75a0 said:
Kyle you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that! :cheers: :lol:
Note I said not a bunch...there's still a few rats in the barn though. :lol:

8)

unwelcomeguest":mlj2dmz5 said:
hot damn, you gents weren't lying when you said it packed a punch! Big nicotine hit.
I remember when I was starting out I posted in a different forum looking for advice. I casually made a comment to the effect of: "I've smoke cigars for years now, so I'm sure nicotine strength won't be an issue." Then I was introduced to G&H Brown Boggie and I realized just how wrong I was.

I can't speak to specific nicotine content, but I have smoked cigars for quite a long time, and I have never encountered a cigar that could pack as much wallop as some of those G&H blends.

Kyle Weiss":0b3uoihc said:
billmess":0b3uoihc said:
Is this true? the only 100% VA is union square?
C&D Opening Night. No way there is any Burley in it. I also doubt very much that MVF, BBF or FVF have any either.

Peterson's Irish Flake is pretty strong, and +1 for the GH Dark Flake/Plug.

Irish Flake is perhaps a little more interesting. There is just enough complexity to go with the strength. Dark Flake US is nowhere near as subtle but is is definitely an azzkikr.

If you can get it, Germain's Brown Flake is also quite full flavored.

C&D Opening Night. No way there is any Burley in it. I also doubt very much that MVF, BBF or FVF have any either.
You're more than welcome to doubt anything you want to. But the Burley component in them is common knowledge.

:face:

sisyphus":ze84171c said:
Why wouldn't/shouldn't there be any, just out of curiosity?

Yak":b75wxt89 said:
You're more than welcome to doubt anything you want to. But the Burley component in them is common knowledge.

Burley for sure in those blends.

Yak":qgtsurcg said:

Common knowledge? Where, on BoB and nowhere else in the pipe smoking community. Sources or it's bullshit.

Aside from focusing on semantics and ignoring my original question...

...the sources themselves aren't always straightforward with their ingredients, so I guess that means whatever else you've read or come to understand could be bullocks, too, wouldn't you say? The stuff could be garnished with pony foal eyelashes for all we know. Except it doesn't taste like burning hair. Nothing to support or deny the claim, just palates and tales.

I wouldn't say "common" knowledge about Burley in these blends, but I've read it pondered. I'd say there's Burley in BBF, it's a favorite of mine and I feel comfortable nodding in that direction. Otherwise, try some barbecue sauce with your live wasps, they taste better that way to me, anyway.

8)

sisyphus":efotglhs said:
Yak":efotglhs said:

Common knowledge? Where, on BoB and nowhere else in the pipe smoking community. Sources or it's bullshit.
It has been pointed out earlier in this thread. The "common knowledge" we are referring to is the practice of adding burley to Virginia blends to round out things. More than one prominent blender has publicly stated that unless a blend says "NO BURLEY" then it probably has some. GLP is one such blender. Russ has told me the same thing in person. So has David Ryan.

Believe whatever you want but it is common knowledge.

Of the blends listed above, Opening Night is the only one I can't say for sure but it's probably a safe bet that there's some burley in there too.

Where's GLP when we need him? Lol (he's probably tired of answering the same four or five questions all the time!)

Heh, yeah Greg logs on to BoB and one can just sense the facepalm starting to develop. :lol: Bless the man.

8)

one can just sense the facepalm starting to develop.
Par for the course when you're dealing with short attention spans, children and/or those incurious enough to not go looking around for information.

That's what the situation is when you're educating people. It comes with the territory.

Human beings are Bozos.

BOZO

Kyle Weiss":9wrov4ij said:
Aside from focusing on semantics and ignoring my original question...

...the sources themselves aren't always straightforward with their ingredients, so I guess that means whatever else you've read or come to understand could be bullocks, too, wouldn't you say? The stuff could be garnished with pony foal eyelashes for all we know. Except it doesn't taste like burning hair. Nothing to support or deny the claim, just palates and tales.

I wouldn't say "common" knowledge about Burley in these blends, but I've read it pondered. I'd say there's Burley in BBF, it's a favorite of mine and I feel comfortable nodding in that direction. Otherwise, try some barbecue sauce with your live wasps, they taste better that way to me, anyway.

8)
I've been smoking quite a bit of bbf lately. I'd say there is definitely a chance of burley.

I can't help but read this thread and think to myself...

Burley, casings, etc. WHO CARES. Union Square sucks, sorry. I like a lot of GLP blends but US was some of the worst shit I ever put in a pipe.

If that's what 100% pure Virginia tastes like, you can keep it, and I'll be content to count the blessings that have allowed pipe tobacco to evolve past grow it, cure it, put it in a package to a point where it actually tastes good.

That's what the situation is when you're educating people. It comes with the territory.
You realize you look like a pompous ass every time you post shit like that, right? I mean seriously?

You realize you look like a pompous ass every time you post shit like that, right? I mean seriously?
It comes with the territory.

Been doing it since 1970.

What you think of me today is not concern.

What you think of me when you're 50 is.

When you're 20-something, you know everything.