Stupid Lids

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benmarcum

Reaction score
so i am trying to get some lids on ball jars to not "pop" anymore so i can start building my baccy cellar but no luck. Do i need to get them to where they won't pop? if so any body got any tricks? Makers Mark is just down the road a bit...i guess i could take them and dip them in red wax...

benmarcum":jmoag44u said:
so i am trying to get some lids on ball jars to not "pop" anymore so i can start building my baccy cellar but no luck. Do i need to get them to where they won't pop? if so any body got any tricks? Makers Mark is just down the road a bit...i guess i could take them and dip them in red wax...
All of mine pop. Don't laugh I dip the whole top of mine in paraffin wax!
Ed

I like to play with melted wax. And I like to smoke, I want to continue even after death and probably will.
Buying everything I can get my hands on and cellering it. I'm thinking prices will continue to escalate where as my income will not.
Pretty soon some of us citizens won't be ab;e to buy tobacco, guns, knives, sailboats, automobiles, the list will go on and on.
My one little Vote is always given but there are powers I can't fight alone.
Moderator Put this in the Rubber room If you think need be.
Ed

the other day It was late and i was working on homework when one popped....
lets just say i almost had to change pajamas....

benmarcum":9uutnr72 said:
Are you re-using your lids? It sounds like you are losing your seal which generally means an air leak. The "new" light weight lids have a very thin rubber grommet (?) which dents easily, or even something as simple as a particle of tobacco can cause a minute air leak. If you replace the centre potion of the lid with re-use it should keep the seal.

You are heating with a loose lid, right? Then tightening the lid after you take it out of the hot water bath, thereby creating your negative pressure?

I use the bail top jars for this very reason, the thicker rubber seals take a lot of time to wear out, but I seldom get to store anything for long enough to truly matter one way or another.

Good luck,
Al (Cat fan in Canada)

there is my problem i was tighting before heating...sometimes i am dumb

I'm with peg on using paraffin - a good dip will keep you sleeping soundly for years

benmarcum":5z8k56fp said:
there is my problem i was tighting before heating...sometimes i am dumb
Don't tell me, you went to U of L,... not UK. Rrrriiight? :twisted:

Al (Cat fan in Canada)

Seriously, glad it was a simple fix. That was my job 60 years ago when my mom was canning, tightening the lids after the hot bath.

Are you sealing the tobacco in the jar in a vacuum?
I am under the impression that tobacco should not be stored under reduced pressure if you want the best aging.

Bub":8kgta78b said:
Are you sealing the tobacco in the jar in a vacuum?
I am under the impression that tobacco should not be stored under reduced pressure if you want the best aging.
At best this would be a negative pressure, not a vacuum, there would still be air for any aging/fermentation process. And depending upon what you are desiring aging or maintaining/stabilization you would vary your degree of evacuation of air.

For maintaining "freshness", namely moisture content, you want a good seal, and a minor negative pressure would be a positive step in that direction. IMHO YMMV
:D

Al (in Canada)

I just plunk the tobaccy in a jar and hand tighten...

But after time, I notice when I open a jar that the lids are nice and sealed and all is needed is a little gentle little pry and the lid pops off.... That's good enough for me...

Slow Puffs":tiwyqfhs said:

But after time, I notice when I open a jar that the lids are nice and sealed and all is needed is a little gentle little pry and the lid pops off.... That's good enough for me...
Partially a question of what you are trying to do. It is not usually a problem for me as I am not looking at a long term storage problem. I never accumulate enough tobacco to "cellar" it. For me to have a tin for over 6 months is unusual. A little longer for some bulks, but if you were trying to store over many years the seal could be important.

Also a question of where you are. Really wet areas it may be a question of protecting against things like moulds, really dry areas like Arizona, maintaining moisture content could be the problem.

If you store in a cool place and jarred in a warm place you would develop a neg pressure, if not a dependable one . :bounce:

Living in Louisville Kentucky Ben would more probably have had a high humidity environment, not on the level of coastal Louisiana, but summer in the Fall City is generally sweltering, not the typical moderate 90 degrees and 90% humdity of Lexington. :bball: (yeah sitting in Calgary you wouldn't have to deal with this problem. Mind you Alberta is one of the few places that make Ontario tobacco prices look moderate. :twisted: )

Al (Cat fan in Canada)

Slow Puffs":fge2xhus said:
Yeah, that works for me too,,,from front door to cellar in minutes,,,,no problems as long as the lid and jar rim are particle free when sealing,,, :D

I use all sorts of jars, jelly,relish,pickle jars can be somewhat problematic, wash them out with hot soapy water, dry ,stuff the tabac in,been working for me for ten years!Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

btw if you want to "dry" out some tabac SG :roll: put it in a Marshmallow Fluff container :tongue:

pipetongue1":uk35dsbw said:
I use all sorts of jars, jelly,relish,pickle jars can be somewhat problematic, wash them out with hot soapy water, dry ,stuff the tabac in,been working for me for ten years!Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

btw if you want to "dry" out some tabac SG :roll: put it in a Marshmallow Fluff container :tongue:
Ken, stay away from Marshmellow Fluff :lol:

What I've done when I've opened a tin of dried tobacco is open another tin that isn't dried out and jarred the two together... it worked for me.

I have used ball or mason jars for years. I have cases and have never had a problem. Stuff them with baccy tighten the lid, the other day I opened a 12yr old jar and had to pry the lid off. When I reuse jars I just run them thru the dishwasher and put a new inner lid on. I get them at walmart a package of 12 is about 1.25 cheap enough to be safe. No wax no heat and never a problem.

Slow Puffs":kgpka1m9 said:

Same method here..... :D

Wax can be a bit of overkill on jars, and I happen to be a big fan of overkill, but it also comes in handy for those pesky square SG tins... and other square tins I don't trust, oh who am I kidding - any tin with a pry lid gets wax here :)

nate560":7roshyg8 said:
I have used ball or mason jars for years. I have cases and have never had a problem. Stuff them with baccy tighten the lid, the other day I opened a 12yr old jar and had to pry the lid off. When I reuse jars I just run them thru the dishwasher and put a new inner lid on. I get them at walmart a package of 12 is about 1.25 cheap enough to be safe. No wax no heat and never a problem.
Yep, same for me. The oxidation and fermenting processes going on in the jar should consume enough oxygen that you get a partial vacuum that seals the lid. It only takes a few hours and you can touch the center of the lid and it will pop inwards.

Sounds like you have "blown a Seal" brother. I choose to use canning jars with a screw lid. they work well for me! the bottles Grandma stores jam in!