Sugar Barrel

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
I ordered a sample to try before it fades into oblivion like some of the other drug store blends have. The smell in the pouch reminds me of the lucky strikes dad smoked, sweet burley. The tobacco is light and dark, shag cut and at a good moisture level to load and light. When it comes to flavor it's predictably like its sister Carter Hall, but a little bolder and sweeter. I assume it has a topping, but it doesn't stand out, just enough to sweeten the flavor. It lights well and burned to the bottom of the bowl. The next bowl I let go out half way down and sit, upon relight I expected a bitterness I get with most burleys when fired up again, but found it took up right where it left off, sweet and smooth. I experienced no tongue bite and it always burned cool. My 4 ounces has gone surprisingly fast, I'll be ordering a couple tubs. I think it edges out CH by a smidgen. I'm not saying it rivals the premium burleys out there, it's by no means a complex tobacco, but at $21 a barrel it's affordable and a pleasant smoke.

It's my favorite Burley blend. It often goes overlooked probably because of it's name. It's not overly sweet as some may think. Great stuff!

I enjoy a bowl of Sugar Barrel from time to time. Boy things are sure changing. The last tub I bought was only $13.95.

I know my local B&M has one ooold tub of Sugar Barrel in the back. Maybe I'll give it a try when I dig out my wallet from under the bills.

This one is not my cup of tea but it really does taste like burnt sugar and is very mild. I took some to apipe shop today and guys were begging me for some. I can see why some would really like this one, just not strong enough for me.

Sugar Barrel has become one of my favourite tobaccos, almost an all-dayer. I've got 3 tubs stored for safe measure. I like that it is like PA or CH in that it tastes like burley tobacco. I like that it is slightly sweetened in a way that I can identify. I like that it behaves well and is consistent.

Here is an old ad for SB:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=NUYEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=sugar+barrel+tobacco&source=bl&ots=Wfo3uAeEUi&sig=pHVwOE-DeQRIjM2nXqG9ZFhHgtA&hl=en&ei=ih6iS-n0EcOBlAeerun8CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAcQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=sugar%20barrel%20tobacco&f=false

If you look closely it says that the recipe was created by accident when bourbon burley was stored in barrels that contained damp sugar (sugar barrels).

Thanks for the review.

I tried a tub a couple of years ago. It did nothing for me. Cheap burley cased in some sort of chemical smelling sweetener and bit like a rabid dog. I smoked one or two bowls and dumped the rest.

ftrplt":65sgc4uf said:
Sugar Barrel....another tobacco that drove me from anything Burley 45+ years ago!!!! :evil: FTRPLT
I can't decide if your the weird on or if Bill is for dumping out 12 oz. of fine tobacco!

:lol!:

Calling Sugar Barrel "fine tobacco" is definitely weird :lol: Of course, if comparing it to 'Walnut," I guess it is 'fine!! :p :lol!: :lol!: FTRPLT

And, besides, I heard on good authority that Bill did not just throw his Sugar Barrel out. He put it in his compost pile to help with the composting process!!! ;)

ftrplt":8chd7qln said:
Calling Sugar Barrel "fine tobacco" is definitely weird :lol: Of course, if comparing it to 'Walnut," I guess it is 'fine!! :p :lol!: :lol!: FTRPLT

And, besides, I heard on good authority that Bill did not just throw his Sugar Barrel out. He put it in his compost pile to help with the composting process!!! ;)
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

with all the anti tobacco campaigns, in the future (while you're smoking corn silk) you may wish you HAD that otc burley. You'll wistfully reminisce of the old days when if you didn't relish a blend you would toss it on the garden, and could afford to do so,,,, :p