Suggestions and input needed.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyFlake

Reaction score
I do not own either an Ardor or an Ashton pipe. I have made up my mind to buy at least one of them to add to my smoking stable and I am having some problems in making a decision. I understand that they are both expensive, high quality pipes that almost always smoke very well!

I have found pipes out there, for sale, from both brands that I really like. NO I don't want to buy them both.

For those of you who have experience with one or the other or especially with both. Which brand would you go with and why???

Hey Johnny.

I don't have hands on experiance with either brand, but I do 'pipeshop' about 3 hours a day...

Their new prices are pretty comparable.

On the estate side
Ashton pipes are still inflated a bit from the rush that went on when Mr Taylor passed on...
Ardor pipes in very good condition are going for about 1/3 their new price, especially on ebay.

Hopefully that helps in some small way.

I have a couple of Ashtons, they smoke wonderfully and I highly recommend them. I only wish I had an Ardor. I know exactly what I want but never has the money and the pipe shown up at the same time. White stemmed black stained rusticated or blasted bent bulldog or ball, seen em both, they're on my short list. Some day.

Don't own an Ardor, so I can't say anything one way or the other. My Ashton's are primo!! However, I would not recommend buying one of Bill's pipes from say 2005/6 to 2009 when we lost him. The overall quality is a bit off IMPO. I would check out the Piperack or Ebay for either unsmoked ones or earlier estate ones. I understand the new Ashton's marked with JC are pretty darn good; however, I have no personal knowledge of that information. FWIW....FTRPLT

ftrplt":qm638qsu said:
Don't own an Ardor, so I can't say anything one way or the other. My Ashton's are primo!! However, I would not recommend buying one of Bill's pipes from say 2005/6 to 2009 when we lost him. The overall quality is a bit off IMPO. I would check out the Piperack or Ebay for either unsmoked ones or earlier estate ones. I understand the new Ashton's marked with JC are pretty darn good; however, I have no personal knowledge of that information. FWIW....FTRPLT
Thanks for the Heads-Up on that information. That is very good to know!

Ashtons have SKYROCKETED in price since Bill's untimely death. People are paying out of their asses for them right now. Not a good time to buy one in my opinion from what I've seen. I'd wait a bit on the Ashton and buy the Ardor now.

He is referring to the newish Kaywoodies. There is a hidden link in the words "one of these instead". Click it to see.

They are awesome looking pipes and priced reasonably. I am lusting after some of the freehands on that site as well as the rhodesian and bulldog POY shapes myself. They are on my short list which is actually a long list of pipes that I must purchase at some point.

I agree with that "one instead" and just yesterday got the KW POY '08, an oversized sandblasted poker, from that Park Lane Tobacconist site. They are a peerless e-tailer of both pipes and tobaccos. These newer, handmade KWs are crafted from middle-grade Italian briar and to me seem Italian in spirit and quality. I can also recommend Ardor, however, as I also have a longstemmed rusticated poker that treats flakes extremely well. As you can see, I like the poker/cherrywood shape a lot.

MINT! Tinsky American 3/4 BENT POKER SITTER Estate Pipe
360 RING GRAIN! VERY LIGHT USE! CLEAN & READY TO GO!
Item condition: --
Ended: Feb 10, 201018:14:47 PST
Bid history: 12 bids
Winning bid: US $103.60

I haven't been able to figure that picture thing out yet.
Did I do good?
I feel like this anyway. :bounce: :bounce:

I can also echo that Park Lane is an excellent retailer to do business with. I have dealt with Paul B and Rich there and both have them have gone the extra mile for me on more than one occasion. Very helpfull.

PegLegEd":b7rvwtz2 said:
MINT! Tinsky American 3/4 BENT POKER SITTER Estate Pipe
360 RING GRAIN! VERY LIGHT USE! CLEAN & READY TO GO!
Item condition: --
Ended: Feb 10, 201018:14:47 PST
Bid history: 12 bids
Winning bid: US $103.60

I haven't been able to figure that picture thing out yet.
Did I do good?
I feel like this anyway. :bounce: :bounce:
Do you have any idea how hard it was for me not to bid on that pipe?

Congrats. I am very jealous.

Edit: Oh, here is the picture from the listing just so others can see what you won:

Thanks Guy's,
I appreciate the feedback. I thought I had read Tinsky's worth having.
Now I got Buck Fever.
You Know Like up the tree, got to pee but afraid to move. But can not sit still.
If I see another one I'll at least do like I did above.
Trying to get out of the dog house with Frost at least.

Haha. No worries bud. There are plenty of Mark's awesome pipes to go around on his site, and they do seem to pop up on ebay fairly regularly too, at least recently.