Suggestions for an outstanding Black Cavendish experience?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamtheWorldEater

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I guess Im a newbie to the world of that is pipe smoking, and Im trying to find my way through the vast ocean of brands and blends. What I do know is that I love Black Cavendish, but saying that, I still find myself somewhat overwhelmed by the lofty list of choices out there. Any thoughts on some that stand head and shoulders above the rest? Recommendations on what to search high and low for, as well as what should be avoided like the plague? Right now, I have two Cav blends, one "Black Gold" and one "Black Irish". They are both pretty decent, but Im not even sure if theyre actually specific blends or just generic terms. Id like to know, being a Cavendish lover, what would really be considered tops in this field. Thanks!!!

Black Cavendish is the staple of my tobacco cellar. In particular Pete Stokkebye Black Cavendish.

Another that I enjoy, especially mixed with some PS BC, is McClelland Darkest Chocolate. I would also recommend PS Luxury Bullseye which has a nice black cavendish center.

One that is similar to the Black Gold you mentioned, and well recommended, would be Lane Limited 1Q. The Peterson line of tobaccos such as Sweet killarney and Gold Blend should also be on your radar.
Also, to expand the palette I would recommend McClelland Navy Cavendish.

These are what first come to mind when I think of black cavendish and black cavendish complimentary tobaccos.

Others will bring there suggestions. 8) hope this helps.

kieveryuu":c7feaxhs said:
Black Cavendish is the staple of my tobacco cellar. In particular Pete Stokkebye Black Cavendish.

Another that I enjoy, especially mixed with some PS BC, is McClelland Darkest Chocolate. I would also recommend PS Luxury Bullseye which has a nice black cavendish center.

One that is similar to the Black Gold you mentioned, and well recommended, would be Lane Limited 1Q. The Peterson line of tobaccos such as Sweet killarney and Gold Blend should also be on your radar.
Also, to expand the palette I would recommend McClelland Navy Cavendish.

These are what first come to mind when I think of black cavendish and black cavendish complimentary tobaccos.

Others will bring there suggestions. 8) hope this helps.
Help it definitely does! You given me quite the laundry list to work with and Im quite looking forward to it. Thank you for the help! Being that your quite well-versed in BC, if you happen upon anything else you think I should try out, be sure to drop me line. Thanks Again!!!

Greetings,

Without question...Lane Ltd. BCA.

Herman Lane developed BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic) in the early '70's and it is still THE black cavendish by which all others are judged.

BCA was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked back in 1976 and is still my favorite "go to" tobacco. Great flavor without being too sweet, fantastic aroma and room note, cool smoking with absolutely no bite. Smokes great in almost any pipe. A real "desert island" tobacco. BCA is also an excellent blender.

Pack it slightly loose and it will burn dry to the bottom of the bowl.

A truly amazing tobacco you simply must try. Enjoy!

CACooper

CACooper":z50kyx8e said:
Greetings,

Without question...Lane Ltd. BCA.

Herman Lane developed BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic) in the early '70's and it is still THE black cavendish by which all others are judged.

BCA was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked back in 1976 and is still my favorite "go to" tobacco. Great flavor without being too sweet, fantastic aroma and room note, cool smoking with absolutely no bite. Smokes great in almost any pipe. A real "desert island" tobacco. BCA is also an excellent blender.

Pack it slightly loose and it will burn dry to the bottom of the bowl.

A truly amazing tobacco you simply must try. Enjoy!

CACooper

Ill definitely be sure to give it a try, thank you! Also, I checked out your pipes. Very impressive, indeed, sir!!! :cheers:

WilliamtheWorldEater":h6szg7rs said:
Hey everyone,
I guess Im a newbie to the world of that is pipe smoking, and Im trying to find my way through the vast ocean of brands and blends. What I do know is that I love Black Cavendish, but saying that, I still find myself somewhat overwhelmed by the lofty list of choices out there. Any thoughts on some that stand head and shoulders above the rest? Recommendations on what to search high and low for, as well as what should be avoided like the plague? Right now, I have two Cav blends, one "Black Gold" and one "Black Irish". They are both pretty decent, but Im not even sure if theyre actually specific blends or just generic terms. Id like to know, being a Cavendish lover, what would really be considered tops in this field. Thanks!!!
Ditto on the BC-A for a solid, dependable, go-to black cavendish. I was lucky enough to stumble on it early in my smoking career (only a few months ago), and I've been whittling away at the 8oz I stuffed into a 1PT mason jar. If you're willing to try something a bit different, I recently had my first few bowls of Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him. It's everything there is to love about black cavendish with a wonderful, sweet, creamy, earthiness contributed by a touch of Latakia - I haven't touched my BC-A since I got it.

WilliamtheWorldEater":ymsptn59 said:
Hey everyone,
First of I noticed fort sill ok, you civilian residing there or active duty stationed there??? I was part of the first Air defense units there as well as did my BCT there... unless much has changed there is next to nothing for tobacco shops there unless you found the decent walk in humidor thats in the gas station/liquor store on sheridan road by 52nd st. If you would like I have a local blend of black cavendish that is outstanding and have about 3 lbs in my cellar if you would like send me your adress and I send you a few bowls worth

pipesmoker09":al11vokv said:
WilliamtheWorldEater":al11vokv said:
Hey everyone,
First of I noticed fort sill ok, you civilian residing there or active duty stationed there??? I was part of the first Air defense units there as well as did my BCT there... unless much has changed there is next to nothing for tobacco shops there unless you found the decent walk in humidor thats in the gas station/liquor store on sheridan road by 52nd st. If you would like I have a local blend of black cavendish that is outstanding and have about 3 lbs in my cellar if you would like send me your adress and I send you a few bowls worth
Wow, ADA, eh? I think youd be suprised, Fort Sill has become the headquarters of the ADA. There is now 3 or 4 brigades here, with more coming, plus their AIT. The post and the town are both expanding rapidly. Im active duty at the moment, Im about to be medically retired. Ive been here with the 5th FA for the past 6 years. I think the place youre talking about is called Fluffys. They scaled back their fine tobaccos inventory due to lack of sales. You know how it is, people here think Skoal is "fine" tobacco ;) It would be great if you would send me some of your local blend, thank you! Id be very excited to try it. Im at:

William Dornford
5535 NW Cache Rd #4-C
Lawton, OK 73505

Ill be sure to return the favor and send you a sample of anything interesting I come across. Im planning to scout out OKC next weekend. Thanks again :cheers:

tomchuk":3okdhtxg said:
WilliamtheWorldEater":3okdhtxg said:
Hey everyone,
Ditto on the BC-A for a solid, dependable, go-to black cavendish. I was lucky enough to stumble on it early in my smoking career (only a few months ago), and I've been whittling away at the 8oz I stuffed into a 1PT mason jar. If you're willing to try something a bit different, I recently had my first few bowls of Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him. It's everything there is to love about black cavendish with a wonderful, sweet, creamy, earthiness contributed by a touch of Latakia - I haven't touched my BC-A since I got it.
That is freaking awesome!!!! Middle-Earth tobacco series? That has got to be the funniest thing ever! Even my wife( a bona-fide fantasy geek ;) ) wants to try it. Definitely at the top of my to-get list. Thanks for the suggestion!

+1 for Lane BCA
I'd also recommend Peretti Ebony, Boswell Rum River & Milan Tobacconist Sunset Rum.
High on my personal list of one's to try: Uhle's Black Stoker.
Glen