Suggestions for blends with perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derlict311

Reaction score
Perique is a fickle mistress. She doesn't need much of a presence to be heard in a pipe, but there is such thing as too much of her. In the past, I have been turned off by that term "too much" perique, but today I'm looking forward to revisiting my first impressions. I picked up a few tins recently of St. James Flake, Escudo, Embarcadero. All have wowed me. I'm calling on the fellas for some helpful suggestions.

Other suggestions of Va/Pers or other solid blends with perique?

Well Embarcadero doesn't actually have any perique but it is a great blend!

St. James and Escudo are great places to start.

From GLP: Haddo's Delight and Fillmore are both great and have more than a bit of stewed leaf

Oh man, there are so many good ones that it's hard to name just a few! Lol

McClellands bulk #2015, Rattray's Marlin Flake, Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye and Luxury Navy Flake, Reiners Long Golden flake...

Lately, when I want a straight-up VAper, it's either Escudo or Peter Heinrichs Curly

Treasures of Ireland: Limerick comes to mind. It only has 5% perique.

GLP Chelsea Morning, and if you like Latakia Bill Bailey's Balkan has a great perique spice note that compliments the lat, VA dark fire and orientals nicely. I second Long Golden Flake and the Stokkebye's.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17550-ashton-artisan-s-blend

Ashton Artisan's Blend for an english style that has a hint of perique.

This full-bodied English mixture is carefully crafted for the experienced pipe smoker. Virginia and Turkish tobaccos harmonize with Syrian Latakia and a touch of Perique to create a taste that is resoundingly rich, spicy and satisfying
For Va/per I like Rattray Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie.

s.ireland":h5u64i25 said:
From GLP: Haddo's Delight and Fillmore are both great and have more than a bit of stewed leaf
These. All day, every day.

If you liked SG St James Flake, you might want to try Gawith Hoggarth Louisiana Flake.

Lighter in the types of Va used, but to my mind v good to superb VaPers, are: Solani 633; Former’s Bird’s Eye Flake; Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake; and Royal Jersey Perique

C&D Bayou Morning; McClellend 2015 Virgnia flake; and LJ Heart Virgina might appeal to you as well, although I prefer the above.

Gumball":dugcr2no said:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17550-ashton-artisan-s-blend

Ashton Artisan's Blend for an english style that has a hint of perique.

This full-bodied English mixture is carefully crafted for the experienced pipe smoker. Virginia and Turkish tobaccos harmonize with Syrian Latakia and a touch of Perique to create a taste that is resoundingly rich, spicy and satisfying
For Va/per I like Rattray Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie.
This entire post.

Yak":gcgvykj7 said:
The GLP offering you have in mind is likely Filmore.

:face:
If you're looking for a straight VaPer (as in, no lat, no noticeable toppings, etc.) GLP's Telegraph Hill is excellent (Fillmore has a tiny touch of Latakia that adds a sort of leathery-ness to the blend - in a good way).

C&D's Bayou Morning is a my favorite VaPer but McClelland's Blackney's Best Arcadian Ribbon is a close second and C&D's Red Carpet is sublime as a flake.

My current fave Perique blends (and I'm certain to leave some out) -

Moderate P-weed:

Escudo
C&D Bayou Morning
C&D Exhausted Rooster

Light P-weed:

PS Luxury Navy Flake
PS Luxury Bullseye

Most elegant P-weed blend:

Sammy G's St James Flake

Pronounced P-weed

GLP Haddos
tiltjlp Cool Hand Fluke

My top favorite and current go to:

McClelland 2015 w/15% added P-weed.

This bulk already has Perique, but the brother I got this from added 15% more. Gotta say Boy Howdy to this and slap yo Mamma good!

:king:

Cheers,

RR

Thanks to all for these suggestions. I should have known Embarcadero doesn't have perique, but there is some spicy notes that must remind me of it. That one comes highly recommended for all. Artisan's Blend is in my grab box of opened tins. I have some affection for it but like smoking any wonderful blend for the first time, it just takes a minute to understand it's depth. I haven't got there yet...just OK for now. Several others mentioned will have to be reviewed on the glorious tobaccoreviews.com site. Thanks guys. Keep em' coming.

Many good suggestions here...but these are better. lol

My current favorites are:

1) Gawith & Hogwarts Lousiana Flake (mid level strength, mild Perique, excellent smoker)

2) Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique (I can't believe I like this stuff so much...but it's just great!)

3) John Patton's Cool Hand Fluke (it's like...PERIQUE! )

Blackhorse":s7j4zb5e said:

1) Gawith & Hogwarts Lousiana Flake (mid level strength, mild Perique, excellent smoker)

2) Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique (I can't believe I like this stuff so much...but it's just great!)

Ya, I just knew I'd forget one like this.

Got a bowl of it going right now aamof! It came pretty dried out bit that's the way I like to smoke it.

P-weed forward, yet not in yer face either. Neither hot nor harsh.

Like the 3 bears porridge, it's just right!

:cyclops:

Cheers,

RR

On the heavier side, I'm partial to McC's Beacon Extra and GLP TP (enough Perique and plenty of burley weight).

deepbass9":qslrfmyl said:
On the heavier side, I'm partial to McC's Beacon Extra and GLP TP (enough Perique and plenty of burley weight).
I was actually going to try the Beacon Extra this pay period, but saw FVF in stock and got it instead. Is the Beacon Extra pretty good then?

Brewdude":9sfmals4 said:
Blackhorse":9sfmals4 said:

Ya, I just knew I'd forget one like this.

Got a bowl of it going right now aamof! It came pretty dried out bit that's the way I like to smoke it.

P-weed forward, yet not in yer face either. Neither hot nor harsh.

Like the 3 bears porridge, it's just right!

:cyclops:

I fired up acadian perique for my morning smoke. It is great.

Cheers,

RR