Suggestions for mixing (stacking?) mixtures

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLowlyApprentice

Reaction score
I believe I read a post from arkansaspiper where he said how much he enjoyed puffing a half bowl of Nightcap topped with a half bowl of London Mixture, and I was wondering whether any other BOB's have experimented with mixing mixtures.

I would presume one would usually stack the mixtures rather than mixing them together but I guess anything goes.

So has anyone tried mixing mixtures with good results?

TLA

Mm, 'stacking'. That's a new one on me matey and one that doesn't particularly appeal. It's either one or the other for me. I'm not sure what you'd gain by placing one blend on top of the other?

I'm always experimenting with my tobacco by mixing different blends together. I like to mix Trout Stream with Jack Knife Plug, or Trout Stream with McC 5100 RC. Half and Half with Heine's Blend and Sir Walter Raleigh or Half and Half with McC Perique. I found all of these to my liking but they may not be for everyone. I tried stacking blends a couple of times but really didn't like the results. Don't be afraid of mixing. You'll find it's fun and you'll come up with some amazing mixes that you may find outstanding. Then again you may come up with some that may make you wish you had left well enough alone. Soon you'll learn what flavor profiles compliment each other. Just do very small quantities of each until you find something you like. :)

AJ

Thanks, AJ

It would appear that you prefer mixing to stacking, and it looks like you both mix blends together (i.e. Half and Half with Heine's blend) and you also mix blends with individual blending tobaccos (i.e. Sir Walter Raleigh or Half and Half with McC Perique).

I'd be interested to know what blending tobaccos you use.

When I check TR.com, for instance, I note that C&D's Latakia is judged to be "Very Mild" whereas McC's latakia is judged to be "Medium to Strong". I wonder how that can be?

Also, in JimInks review of McC's blending perique he states tha McC is more spicy than Hearth & Home's perique which he considers to be more plumy. Again, I wonder how that can be?

Does it just depend on where they source their tobaccos or do they do further processing when the source tobacco arrives in house?

And how's a fella going to decide what blending tobaccos to use without spending a lot of dough trying them all?

I'm guessing that McC's various virginias would be the favored choices, but what about latakia, perique, and the various burleys and Kentuckys.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TLA

TheLowlyApprentice said:
When I check TR.com, for instance, I note that C&D's Latakia is judged to be "Very Mild" whereas McC's latakia is judged to be "Medium to Strong". I wonder how that can be?

Also, in JimInks review of McC's blending perique he states tha McC is more spicy than Hearth & Home's perique which he considers to be more plumy. Again, I wonder how that can be?

Different crops have different characteristics and the age of the perique/latakia used is a factor also. Everyone has different tastebuds which accounts for dissimilar reviews.      

And how's a fella going to decide what blending tobaccos to use without spending a lot of dough trying them all?

A tin of McClelland perique and one of latakia + one each from C&D will set you back about $45,,,some good burley, and some straight virginia combined with an imagination should be all you need.  

Well, I don't know much about blending tobaccos, other than what little bit of playing around I do.

These last couple of days I've been craving McC's 2035, but only small bowls.. (Smoking outside, hot outside, and sticky) So a quick 15 minute sauna while smoking.

As I like to use smaller bowls anyway, I figured by tucking a bit of shredded VA at the bottom of the bowl first, then put the 2035 on top, will let me enjoy the 2035 and when I start to taste just Ginny I know my smoke is done. Sure, I tamp out the bottom of the bowl, but smoking 2035 in about 85% humidity can leave a wet bowl. Not when I do this.

Also, last year, I had some 2000 out overnight by accident and it was really dry. So I mixed it 50/50 with last year's Christmas Cheer and it was awesome. The burn was great and the Cheer was a bit sweeter.

There have also been some Lat blends(Spectre comes to mind) that mixed with about 30 percent Brown Clunee from Rattray. There are others but I don't recall all of them through the years...

I'm not sure why the Perique is different. Maybe something to do with the processing time and/or conditions. I've found McClelland Perique to be sweeter than C&D. Your taste may be different. The only Latakia I've used was from C&D and I thought it was pretty good. I use C&D granulated Burley whenever I want to smooth out a blend or add some body.

I think any tobacco you get from McClelland will be just fine. I'm partial to their straight Virginia blends and their bulk 2015 is one of the finest VaPers you'll find. As to what tobacco to use in blending is something you'll have to decide by trial and error. Telling you what I use would be pointless because our taste preferences are probably different. Besides discovering which tobacco works best for you is part of the enjoyment. The rules are simple. There are no rules. If the blend you're smoking isn't sweet enough then mix a blend you know is sweeter and give it a try. If it doesn't have enough body or nicotin add some Burley or another blend you know has these qualities. If you work with blends that you like and already know it's flavor profile then it's easy to decide what will work. Using this method I doubt you'll have many failures. You'll learn something from each mix you create. As I said before keep the amounts small maybe just enough so when you finish you'll only have enough for a couple of bowls. Remember this: Pipe smoking should bring enjoyment and reduce stress. Mixing your own blends should add these elements to your experience. Have fun doing it or don't do it at all. :)

AJ

Thanks Mark, Thanks AJ

I guess I'll pick up a few tins and start to play around.

I'll let you know if I stumble upon something worthwhile.

TLA

Mark and the Ozark Wizard both give good advise. The OW is truly a Wizard when it comes to blending. His Pebble Castle is the best I've ever smoked. Anything he writes be sure to pay close attention. :)

AJ

Thanks Wizard,

I know what you mean about the temps.

We've had near 100 degree temps and high humidity for weeks on end here in River City and I usually break out in a sweat just sitting in the shade puffing.

So I guess I'm just smokin' while I'm smokin'.

TLA

You've already gotten great advice, so I'll just add a possibly redundant thought -- get a straight Va, a medium English, and a burley, which will show you what the basic food groups are like. Have some Perique handy as a condiment. Then just start to experiment. There used to be a board that consisted solely of recipes for DIY blends, using mostly OTC blends. It disappeared years ago, alas. Not everyone goes for blending or layering, preferring the straight stuff. I wonder if there are enough pipers on this board who have fave DIY smokes to sustain a thread. I was once gifted a nugget of Condor. I wasn't crazy about it, but found that if I cut off just a few small pebbles and added it to an English, it was right tasty. Old Dub plus half a doz Condor pellets is a very nice cool weather smoke.

Thanks Kevin,

Yea, I'd love to see a long lived thread sharing blending recipes and tweaks to existing blends, but don't know if there are enough folks doing it or with the interest.

Maybe some recipes which at least vaguely replicate some of the baccy's were about to lose because of the FDA.

TLA

I like OJK a lot. If I smoke a whole bowl of it I usually get hiccups. I will make a stack with the bottom half being HB and then top off with OJK. I find this a very good combo.

Shoot fire, guess I've done this "stacking" thing for years!! Gave no great thought to it; just did it :suspect: Latweed over Ginnyweed, PA/CH over Ginnyweed, VaPer over a Latweed, etc., etc. Found all my various combo's to be quite flavorful!! 'Bout the only blending I ever do is to add Latweed to a 'baccy that just doesn't "sit well" with me. I don't "stack" like tobaccos (i.e., Latweed over another Latweed. Don't know just why I don't, I just don't ;) ). Enjoy this hobby of ours; don't make it difficult!! It's supposed to be "relaxing!!" :cheers: FTRPLT

TheLowlyApprentice":pcm9y5je said:
Thanks Kevin,

Yea, I'd love to see a long lived thread sharing blending recipes and tweaks to existing blends, but don't know if there are enough folks doing it or with the interest.

Maybe some recipes which at least vaguely replicate some of the baccy's were about to lose because of the FDA.

TLA
Somewhere there's a thread about Pebble Castle test I put up with the recipe for it. I've done a few 'matches' or 'close enoughs' with some blends already made, but as I don't dabble in too many professional blends I can't imagine being able to make something without tasting it first. It's kind of like cooking, it helps to sample the dish and then try to make it. Imagine making a lemon meringue pie without ever coming across one. The results could be disastrous!

Sounds to me like there is plenty of folks out there playing with their tobaccos. I bet a thread could hold up for a while, particularly since so many new offerings are about to be shelved. Might be a good sharing thing!

Fair play. Stacking seems quite popular! For the time being though I'm still quite happy to leave my smoking experience in the hands of the blenders. :D