Suggestions for more lat blends.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the local guy has Mac Baren, you might give some HH Vintage Syrian a try. I find it really nice and there is no Mac Bite to it.

Many listed on this thread are very very very nice but I've been in love with McClelland's Blue Mountain lately. It is indeed very lat heavy.

Sam Gawith Commonwealth Mixture. Half Lat half VA, sounds simple ? It's a very chameleon type blend and it doesn't taste like smoking straight blending Latakia either. Decent Nic kick too 8)

been trying the balkan sasieni and boy is that some goooood stuff. Kinda like penzance to me. Where penzance is a buttery saute'd mushroom balkan tastes like a fresh uncooked one. Still the same background but a little more sharper and clean. I bet the stuff is awesome with some age on it. Gonna have to orders some more and jar it up. Very good thank you so much tgwilt, you guys really great.

Chalk up another vote for Sasieni... I gotta grab a tin of that, I keep hearing things popping up about that one lately.

Haven't tried the Sansieni yet, but it's always good to hear more positive recommendations on certain blends.

I have just about given up hunting for sensible reviews/recommendations on TR.com. ;)

Funny, I've smoked two 50g tins and a still-sealed pouch of Balkan Sasieni and thought it was awfully bad in each case. Burns hot, not enough dark leaf, rather tasteless almost-English blend. Would be destroyed in a hypothetical competition with Squadron Leader, London Mixture, or Standard Mixture Medium. At least with my tastebuds as judges.

One more recommendation for you Ian. Meridian. I bought an open tin off BigBehr last week. It's really delicious. An outstanding mix of Orientals, Va and Lat. Wonderfully fragrant and it has a lot going on for a medium mixture. Man I wish I had tried this one earlier.

Are there any last blends that smell good to others? Starting to get some comments about how bad it smells lol. I like it but some times it is good to please the public.

i.keenum":94yl0bj3 said:
Are there any last blends that smell good to others? Starting to get some comments about how bad it smells lol. I like it but some times it is good to please the public.
Have smoked many Lat/Oriental heavy blends for years and have yet to find one that could be described as having an acceptable aroma for non pipe smokers. It's sad, but basicaly the nature of the beast :twisted: Just be polite and smile when you get the comments or daggers look and keep on truckin' :twisted:

monbla256":jj7w8aw0 said:
i.keenum":jj7w8aw0 said:
Have smoked many Lat/Oriental heavy blends for years and have yet to find one that could be described as having an acceptable aroma for non pipe smokers. It's sad, but basicaly the nature of the beast :twisted: Just be polite and smile when you get the comments or daggers look and keep on truckin' :twisted:

A gentleman from Shreveport used to reply when people complained about the room note, "I'm smoking it for my pleasure...not yours."

He passed away recently. His humor is missed!

Slide":ylsth2t6 said:
A gentleman from Shreveport used to reply when people complained about the room note, "I'm smoking it for my pleasure...not yours."

He passed away recently. His humor is missed!
:lol!:

My wife likes to make comments like "If you're smoking that, I am going to bed." or my favorite line from her, "They should give you a free bar of soap with that blend."

Nonetheless, a good latakia blend is all about "your" pleasure Ian, and there's no prettying up the roomnote. Sillem's Black doesn't count. :p

It's odd, very few non-smokers object specifically to my Latakia. And the stuff I smoke is no lightweight usually. If a non smoker objects, it's when I'm packing a pipe and haven't even lit it...

"...you're not going to smoke THAT are you?" pointing and wrinkling their nose.

I reply, "Why yes, I am, I've gone through all the trouble to bring it, might as well use it...much like how inevitably you're going to answer THAT when it rings and blabber for 20 minutes at deafening levels," as I point at a phone, "...some things, I guess, cannot be helped." (lights pipe)

8)

My wife can get over it, just try to stay professional at work. Guess I'll save the good stuff for home. :tongue:

Bald Headed Teacher from 4noggins is pretty light on the lat, but I did not get any complaints from the roomnote.