Suggestions for tobacco with nice aroma in tin?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdad

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here and have a question that may be a little off-topic...hope you all don't mind?

I'm looking for recommendations for tobaccos with a nice, flavorful aroma prior to being lit. I like smoking cigars but don't yet have any pipe experience. I think I'd like a full flavored tobacco with some smokey character. I'm not sure I'd like aromatic tobacco but am not opposed to suggestions.

The reason this thread might be considered off-topic is because I want to use this tobacco in a vaporizer. My limited experience with vaporizing tobacco is that the flavor on inhale is very similar to the aroma in the tin. Rolling tobacco tastes horrible but I've had the chance to smell some really nice pipe tobaccos so imagine they would taste nice.

Thanks in advance and am hoping for some nice recommendations!

I tapped a tin of Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening yesterday."A red virginia cavendish cased with a delicate maple flavor. An exceptionally smooth aromatic", it says on the tin.
After opening the tin the smell was wonderful, reminded me of a pancake breakfast on a cold winter morning.
I went to my local pub for lunch and lit up a bowlfull. The flavor was very hard to enjoy, as the tobacco wants to bite ferociously. Keep in mind that I am a virginia smoker almost exclusively, so I don't think it was a matter of technique. The maple is lost in the smoking and the virginia never really comes to the fore. To add insult to injury, the waitress, who normally loves my pipe smoke, stated that it smelled like a trash fire!
So if your looking for something that smells good in the tin, Autumn Evening fits the bill. If you want something that tastes good as you smoke it or doesn't smell like a "trash fire", buy a scented candle and smoke some good virginia blends.

For about 7 or 8 years I've kept a pouch of Sutliff/Altadis SPS-24 Nougat in my cabinet just for the aroma. Never smoked it but love the aroma. They have a bunch of other aromatics listed here Altadis tobaccos that may fit your bill. Since there are so many aromas and individual preferences, my suggestion is for you to visit a pipe tobacco shop with bulk blends and stick your nose in each jar to find the one you like best.

Jim

I bought some "Newfound" from Gatlinburlier. It smells just like a sugar Cooke in the jar.

A lot of JM Boswell blends are delicious in aroma... Christmas Cookie smells like, you guessed it.

If you want something a little more tobacco-y, Cornell and Deihl Exhausted Rooster is a tin aroma I love.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I am not sure if this is allowed, but would anyone be willing to sell a small sampler variety pack? I'd just be interested in a small amount of 3-4 tobaccos, aromatic and more tobacco-ish, and would only want a bowl or so of each.

Boswell's has some blends with very good tin aroma, like PA Dutch Treat and No Bite Delite. If you like Chocolate, their chocolate aromatic has a very good aroma, too. One of my all-time favorites comes from Pipeworks and Wilke: Nut Brown Burley. If you like the smell of fresh apples, it is a heavenly aroma.

Smokey

Yes, and it smokes heavenly as well!

Cheers,

RR

smokey422":d10lnjr6 said:
Boswell's has some blends with very good tin aroma, like PA Dutch Treat and No Bite Delite. If you like Chocolate, their chocolate aromatic has a very good aroma, too. One of my all-time favorites comes from Pipeworks and Wilke: Nut Brown Burley. If you like the smell of fresh apples, it is a heavenly aroma.

Smokey