suggestions on a small pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpramsey

Reaction score
Currently, all my pipes are rather large and fill the hand well. I have a small basket pipe that I bought because the size seemed convenient but it doesn't smoke very well. I'm trying to find a decent small pipe. I have been eyeing the Savinelli pocket model pipes, just to give a point of reference.

IRC has a whole section of pipes labeled "coffee break" that are all smaller bowl sizes, and I am always willing to recommend the smaller Missouri Meerschaum Cobs.

small, as in you want something that you can stick in a jacket pocket but still get a 2 hour smoke with some flake=lovat

small, as in you would like a pipe that offers a shorter smoke, maybe for enjoying stouter tobacco=prince

Depending on your budget, a Dunhill group 1 or 2 would be in order. Even group 3s are pretty small.

Of course you could always fill your large pipes halfway. :mrgreen:

sisyphus":769r1w98 said:
small, as in you want something that you can stick in a jacket pocket but still get a 2 hour smoke with some flake=lovat

small, as in you would like a pipe that offers a shorter smoke, maybe for enjoying stouter tobacco=prince
small and for longer smokes. I haven't heard of Lovat

My personal favorite for a small pipe is a Peterson #314 System Pipe.

Half-bowls work only if the diameter meets the desire of the tobacco/smoker...a half a bowl of a really wide chamber gets kind of hot and lost quickly, there's no ash to help regulate the air flow before the bowl is done. At least that's happened in a few of my pipes...

...having plenty of the chamber-sizes I need, I've been meaning to get a few small chambered pipes myself. This one, if you can track the model down, is cheap, Peterson quality, and as I've seen them in person, a nice little pipe. They come in a "Tankard" and "Barrel" shape (and a variety of finishes) if you do some searching, and range in price from $50 - $70.

http://pipesandcigars.com/petapiru.html#.UPBrNncwhT4

(yes, it's out of stock, sorry...but you get the idea)

Kyle Weiss":o7k16atp said:
This one, if you can track the model down, is cheap, Peterson quality, and as I've seen them in person, a nice little pipe. They come in a "Tankard" and "Barrel" shape (and a variety of finishes) if you do some searching, and range in price from $50 - $70.

http://pipesandcigars.com/petapiru.html#.UPBrNncwhT4

(yes, it's out of stock, sorry...but you get the idea)
I have one, and its smokes nicely, but do all Peterson p-lip pipes have such short tenons (maybe 3/8th of an inch?) I have to say, it worries me a bit. . . .

Might be just those, T. I haven't taken one of those tankards/billiards apart, but the two P-lips I have are standard Peterson: wide but about 1/2" or so at the tenon.

8)

You may want to look at the Peterson Belgique. MIKE

This ia a pre rep Belgique The stems now are different. The length is 6" and the interior dimentions of the bowl are 5/8" dia and 1.25" deep. MIKE

Kyle Weiss":0rd679r6 said:
Might be just those, T. I haven't taken one of those tankards/billiards apart, but the two P-lips I have are standard Peterson: wide but about 1/2" or so at the tenon.

8)
The Calabash I have is like that; ah well, we live and learn!

I have a little peterson 80s, smokes great, weights next to nothing. Only complaint is that it's impossible to clean without taking it apart (no "little twists" or other tricks seem to work). But even with that trouble, I'd take another one any day.