Sullivan Powell Gentleman's Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougc905

Reaction score
I'm not really into vintage tobacco but found a tin of this in my cellar. Looks old. The tobaccoreview.com review by Pipestud suggests that it may date from the 70's. The cost on the tin is $2.10. Any way to confirm the tins age?

I don't want to sell!

Thanks in advance,
Doug

P1000360.JPG

That is a beautiful old tin. Love the script and scroll they used to decorate it with. No one uses that any more. Sorry but am a old hand engraver and enjoy looking at those sorts of items.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

The Cheif

dougc905":3fereot7 said:
I'm not really into vintage tobacco but found a tin of this in my cellar. Looks old. The tobaccoreview.com review by Pipestud suggests that it may date from the 70's. The cost on the tin is $2.10. Any way to confirm the tins age?

I don't want to sell!

Thanks in advance,
Doug

11-01-11_2006.jpg
The Sullivan Powell blends were done by Sobranie House prior to 1981 or 1982, when Gallaher took over operation. Sobranie used the taller tins like this before they went to the flat ones, which was sometime in the mid- late-1970s, so this is certainly older than that. Is it 2oz or 50g?

I've had this stuff, and it's superb. Enjoy!

Went and took better pictures... It is a 2 oz tin. The cut in the top fold reveals the tax seal.

P1000361.JPG

P1000362.JPG

P1000363.JPG

That dates it to pre-1975, certainly, and probably pre-1973, but it's later than the early- to mid-1960s, when cutter-tops were still in use by many manufacturers, including Sobranie. I've got one of these same tins. One of these days, when all the flat tins of Gentleman's are gone, I'll pop the lid.