Sultan meerschaum pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
My daughter is home on leave from the Nimitz after a long tour in the middle east. When she was in Bahrain a man came to the ship with a display of pipes for sale. He had carved a special pipes for one of the officers (she said that there are quite a few pipe smokers on board) and also brought along some other meers to offer for sale. She bought one for me :D The man said they were Sultan pipes [ http://sultanpipes.com/ ] and that he did special carvings for Sultan. Apparently the officer was aware of this guy and was able to a get request to him ahead of time. The pipe I got is a bent billiard with colorful acrylic bit in a fitted case. It has a screw in tenon that is quite secure and well done, the draft is fantastic and a cleaner glides right to the bottom. I've smoked it 5 times in the last 2 days and have barely needed to send a cleaner into it. No gurgle, very dry smoker, comfortable, very well made. Compared to the IMP meers (I've owned 2, the only other meers I've ever smoked) this is far better. The draft is better, the airway is straight and clear, the bit material is of better quality, the engineering is just better. Smoking some 9 year old 965 in it right now, fantastic smoke. My opinion of meers before (based on 2 IMP's) was so-so, but this changes my impression of them. This is really a very good pipe, I'm quite impressed with it!

This is the pipe as shown on their website:

Nice score PD. Even better that you're daughter thought of you while she was 1/2 way around the world.

She's a beauty, classic shape, congratulations,,,and kudos to your daughter,,,

Nice pipe,I'll bet you will never part with it.

Winslow :sunny:

Puff Daddy - An other interesting but it seems related story:
When my daughter and son in-law planned a trip to Turkey a couple of years ago I couldn’t resist asking them to check out any meerschaum pipes they came across. I even gave them a copy of a blog I found from an American touring Turkey who happened upon a pipe shop, bought a couple of pipes and was very happy. The blog contained the name, location and phone number of the shop. They found it and the owner/President of Sultan Meerschaum Pipes even kept the shop open until they got there. They spent several hours looking at pipes and making a new friend. Even though neither on of them are interested in pipes they are both artist by education and by trade so they really enjoyed talking about the meerschaum trade and art in Turkey. They only brought one of the pipes they picked home for me (I only gave them enough money for one - though I can't recall getting my change LOL). They took alot of pictures including the one posted which was of the 3 finalist. I did contact the seller and President of Sultan Meerschaum Pipes and arrange to purchase the other two, so I have all 3 pipes. I smoked them a few times and then they sat but my interest is revived and I have started smoking them again. They all smoke very well and I believe they will at the very least become a regular part of my rotation. Just last night after doing some research I ordered a IMP from Smokingpipes.com. I considered going back to Sultan Pipes but I wanted to try another brand - plus I didn’t want to wait for shipping. However, my Sultan pipes are all very well made, all are bent and pass the pipe cleaner test, all smoke very well and based on the quality of their pipes and the ease in dealing with them I would recommend Sultan Meerschaum Pipes to anyone looking for a quality meerschaum pipe.

Bob H

Like that pipe and its got a good story to go along with it. Is there any tobacco it smokes particularly well?

Good to see your daughter made it home safe and sound Puff Daddy. I see she is still in the Navy. My son is on his way over there in March on his second tour on the Enterprise in that neck of the woods. His first trip over last year the ship stopped in Turkey and he bought me a nicely carved meershaum. They are suppose to stop in Bahrain (along with a stop in Ireland on the way over) this trip so maybe he can find a nice Sultan pipe. It would be nice to have a pipe for every trip/part of the world he gets deployed too. Now I can only hope a shooting war doesn't break out with Iran while he is over there.

this screw-in tenon...please tell me about it. how do you remoe the stem from the pipe? pull it straight out, twist and turn or what?? i have an sms meerschaum, with, i think, a screw-in device and the delrin part has split...now the stem is loose as heck. hardly smoke it anymore, pending finding someone to fix the darn thing.
what i liked about the imp pipes is that they have a simple pull/push connection, idiot-proof for idiots like me!!!
jr/john

jrtaster":oin9hg92 said:
this screw-in tenon...please tell me about it. how do you remoe the stem from the pipe? pull it straight out, twist and turn or what?? i have an sms meerschaum, with, i think, a screw-in device and the delrin part has split...now the stem is loose as heck. hardly smoke it anymore, pending finding someone to fix the darn thing.
what i liked about the imp pipes is that they have a simple pull/push connection, idiot-proof for idiots like me!!!
jr/john

You can buy screw-in replacement tenons on ebay cheep. :D