Summer Edition of P&T Magazine - Crappy !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite miffed that P&T chose to completely ignore my GBDello!
Not a single mention, let alone a cover story, and I sent them 49 detailed photos and a post-it note detailing it's construction.
Hmmph!

Harlock999":u8x97p32 said:
Not a single mention, let alone a cover story, and I sent them 49 detailed photos and a post-it note detailing it's construction.
Hmmph!
What assholes!! The nerve... :evil:

MisterE":pjezcaxa said:
Harlock999":pjezcaxa said:
Hmmph!
What assholes!! The nerve... :evil:
Right?! :lol!:

In the (potentially-present) matter of Paid Product Placement (a fairly widespread industry practice), there is the consequent Market Manipulation strategy to consider.

Every new "fashion trend" is established via disguised advertising. "Venitian Blinds" were an obscure invention until they were worked into a popular movie. Within a couple of years they were everywhere. How many "Rebels Without a Cause" were there until James Dean films ?

It's not just exposure, it's the right exposure (context) that 'frames" something as new, cool, trend-setting, hip & must-have.

If asked for an opinion (and I'm not), it would likely be that this would be a suspected factor in the matter, pointing out that the further out a proposed new fashion is, the less likely it is to get over. Look at (if you can stand to and it seems interesting enough to be worth the time) the number of bizarre "new fashions" that prance down the runway every year in Paris and New York, and how many of them change the landscape.

You can, however, inure people to seeing something they don't like. Once it's "everywhere" in that little world for a long enough time, the intensity of the dislike tends to wear out.

FWIW (assuming anything at all)

:face:

Yak":zny7wvpp said:
You can, however, inure people to seeing something they don't like. Once it's "everywhere" in that little world for a long enough time, the intensity of the dislike tends to wear out.
:face:
How true in my case. It's like new automobile styles that start out as "what the hell are they thinking", and a few months later after seeing the new designs on the road I want one!!!! :roll:

Considering almost all cars look the same today, with only three real choices of style, I'd say I'm all for someone doing something different. :lol:

Pipes are keeping it real, by comparison...there's polished classics brushing elbows with well-executed contemporaries. That's pretty damn cool, if you ask me.

8)

My expression of irritation in my initial post was based on the view (my view) that the cover photo on the P&T Magazine was selected based on some tangible / intangible assessment of the quality / worthiness of the subject relative to other items in the issue. In reply to my post on this subject on the Pipes and Tobacco Foundations Forum website, Chuck Stanion, Editor-in-Chief of the P&T Magazine, replied as follows:

Quote: "We choose the cover based on the quality of the photo, not on the perceived merit of the pipemaker associated with a story. You'll get no argument from me that Joe Skoda is a great pipemaker. He provided the pipe photos for his story and none were adequate for the cover. At that size/resolution they were pixilated. The gear punk pipe was sufficiently different to be interesting and had the necessary resolution.
Several times over the years I've received angry emails from people who percieve the choice of a particular cover photo as an insult to another person covered in the magazine, and I've never managed to see the logic. The cover does not represent our idea of the most important story in the magazine; it represents our best shot at printing an interesting photo that will encourage people to open the magazine. Even so, I'd be uncomfortable even implying that one pipemaker in the magazine is more important than another. They all deserve full credit.
Chuck”...end quote

So, it came purely down to quality of the photograph / ability of the photograph to engage an audience ! This could lead to a whole new series of responses on the merits of such an approach, as the recognition associated with being represented on the cover of any publications can have significant impact on an individual’s stature in their area, etc., and to leave it up to the quality of a photograph seems quite banal. In any case, I certainly appreciate the “engaged” and “pointed” discussion, chaps !

Nero,
Thanks for sticking your neck out, and eventually surviving the guillotine. Starting up one of the more active threads in a long time and enjoying every response. Well done!! 
We can either accept Chuck's response or go forward with more exciting discussion here. I know one individual that will certainly go on ranting about it for sure excluding you and me. Have at it Brothers.:lol:

The cover does not represent our idea of the most important story in the magazine; it represents our best shot at printing an interesting photo that will encourage people to open the magazine.

Told ya:)