Summer Storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Straw

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

So with summer approaching it got me to thinking, I will probably not have my trunk of tobacco in a constant A/C environment this summer, we have window units and it's just not going to happen. In fact I can see it getting into the 90s in here when we are out of town and the like.

So is that going to hurt my tobacco? And by hurt, i mean change the flavor. I have heard, "if you are comfortable, so will your tobacco be."

My instinct tells me it will be fine, and in fact heat does speed up bacteria production (faster aging?)...but wondered if any of you had some words of wisdom on the matter.

I used to be anal about temp control for my tobacco before I set down and thought the whole thing through...

Its grown in the heat, gets hung in the barn in the heat, gets baled and shipped to market in the heat, and stored in hot warehouses....

Let's be nice to the workers blending the tobacco and give them AC...

It the gets put back in a hot warehouse where it waits to be loaded into a hot container for a truck ride to the boat dock.. The container is put into a hot cargo ship where it rides across the ocean in the heat and gets unloaded onto a hot dock waiting to go for a ride on the back of a hot truck to another hot warehouse until it is ordered by a tobacco shop.. At which point it goes in the back of a hot trailer for a ride in the heat to said tobacco shop... Eventually one of us orders it and it goes back into a hot trick belonging to either UPS or USPS.. Crosses several more hot docks and goes for rides in several more hot trucks until it arrives at our post office or local ups center... Finally it gets to our house and sets on the porch (in the heat) until wee get home.. We open the box with joy and promptky start weirding out over heat... Lol..

I'm not an advocate of cooking tobacco in ovens/microwaves/dashboards.. But I don't freak out about 'heat' anymore....