Sweet and/or Earthy aromatic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob the coldblooded

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on sweet and or earthy tobacco, i'm willing to try all suggestions!

i would also not be upset if you left your favored tobacco and why it is so (It doesn't have to pertain to the above question)

Thanks guys! Can't wait to see some suggestions! :D

My first choice would be what has become my "daily 'bac" McClelland's Fragrant Matured 2000. It's a nice tangy sweet blend of Red and Stoved Va's that comes in a broken flake form and is sold in bulk. It has a nice acceptable room note (from feedback I've gotten from non-smokers that I've smoked it around) and smokes clean and dry to the bottom of the bowl. It, like ALL Va's, can bite if "puffed" like a chimney, but sip it and you can get a VERY nice sweet, tangy smoke all the way to the bottom. I rub and dry out a bowl's worth under my desk lamp for about 20 minutes, load my pipe and sit back for a good hour of flavor. I feel it's one of McC's BEST Va's. Get a couple of ounces and give it a try :p

try out some frog morton if you havent already and some gawith and hogarth best brown #2

I know of no earthy aromatics, but certainly more than a few sweet ones. If you want to add some earthy to your aromatic, maybe rub out some Kendal plug into the mix. KP is my go to "earthy" VA.

What aromatic to mix KP with...erm...that will take some thinking on. :scratch:

I think "earthy" means different things to different folks. To me, "aromatic" and "earthy" are almost mutually exclusive...but that prolly just means I don't have the same definition of "earthy" that you do.

Nevertheless, if I had to pick something that I might consider to be both sweet (but not too sweet) and earthy, I'd probably pick something with Perique (for the earthy part), and Virginia+Burley for the sweet (but not too sweet) part. Some examples that come to mind are Cornell & Diehl's Haunted Bookshop and Trinidad. Trinidad also contains Cavendish for a little more sweetness, which is offset by the addition of Deer Tongue for a little more earthiness.

But neither of those are aromatics. I'm not sure I know of an earthy aromatic, so I'm only guessing at what you mean. But perhaps the closest thing I can think of that's both aromatic and earthy is L.J. Peretti's Blend D.D. It's definitely an aromatic, but it's one that doesn't have the cloying, syrupy sweetness of many aromatics.

And just in case none of those are on the mark, I'll take another wild-assed guess and suggest Gawith Hoggarth's Coniston Cut Plug. It's a scented broken flake, not really an aromatic. But it has its own natural sweetness, and plenty of what I would call "earthiness".

I hope that's of some help.

:joker:

Tough order to fill.

First thing that came to mind was Frog Morton, too. Or something else from McClelland. *shrug*

Isn't Boswell's Northwoods somewhat aromatic? I know FM rides the English/Aro line.

MC's Virginia Woods is supposed to be "woodsy". I haven't tried it yet so I can't confirm.

Try McClelland bulk 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake.

Not so much "earthy" as aromatic.

You could always add a pinch of P-weed for the earthy-ness.

Cheers,

RR

Frog Morton or Milonga. Milonga is more on the aro side but is still tasty.

...er, Frog Morton is a Latweed blend. The OP didn't say anything about Latakia.

There are definitely some very different definitions of "earthy" at work here. :shock:

The OP asked about earthy/sweet FM fits in that category...and it appears a few others agree. If you want just straight up earthy but not so sweet then go for fresh Penzance, the aged is good, but fresh tastes like straight earth (dirt). A little bit of lat give toby that earthy taste, but that's just my opinion. Some of us stay far away from Perique, which was in your suggestions if I read correctly, while others stay away from latakia. "Earthy" is all perspective.

kaiser83":490uvo1x said:
The OP asked about earthy/sweet FM fits in that category...and it appears a few others agree. If you want just straight up earthy but not so sweet then go for fresh Penzance, the aged is good, but fresh tastes like straight earth (dirt). A little bit of lat give toby that earthy taste, but that's just my opinion. Some of us stay far away from Perique, which was in your suggestions if I read correctly, while others stay away from latakia. "Earthy" is all perspective.
Given this perspective, ALL blends/mixtures available today would fit the bill ! :twisted:

There you have it, straight from Monbla, smoke every blend because they all fit.

My point was that to some of us FM tastes earthy and sweet, but that is apparently a bad answer because it's a lat mixture. Now though I must go and :study: the definition of "opinion" because apparently it doesn't mean what I always thought it did and some can just plain be wrong.

kaiser83":vqedzlg8 said:
There you have it, straight from Monbla, smoke every blend because they all fit.

My point was that to some of us FM tastes earthy and sweet, but that is apparently a bad answer because it's a lat mixture. Now though I must go and :study: the definition of "opinion" because apparently it doesn't mean what I always thought it did and some can just plain be wrong.
As you said, was your "opinion" and that was mine :twisted: No one's right, no ones wrong, it's the 21st century for gosh sake :twisted:

Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms is both earthy and sweet, it would definitely be worth a go. Also, Classic Burley Kake from pipesandcigars is VERY earthy IMO and is a tad bit aromatic, if you like burley.

kaiser83":bd3r4axx said:
..."Earthy" is all perspective.
Right. That was pretty much my point from the start. ;) Without a more specific definition of what Jacob means by "earthy", there's no way to know for certain what kind of weedage he's looking for. To illustrate the impossibility of making recommendations with such ambiguous criteria, I was originally going to post this:
Vito never":bd3r4axx said:
Cherry Blend with a bit of dirt mixed in should do the trick.
...but I eventually opted for a different approach. :mrgreen: In fact, by now Jacob is likely to be thoroughly confused. So...

Jacob:

When you ask for recommendations based on certain criteria, the responses you get aren't likely to be any more accurate than your own specifications. "Sweet" is fairly universal, but "earthy" is not. And even if you can be more specific, folks who have the very best intentions can still only make recommendations based on what they think you mean.

This thread demonstrates that the ambiguity in descriptive terms (like "earthy") has such a wide variability that it's impossible for anyone to know exactly what you mean. You're the only one who knows what you're looking for. On that basis, here's my best recommendation. It's one that I have followed myself, and it worked for me.
  • Get yourself a bunch of samples of as many individual blending tobaccos as you can find: Virginias (Bright, Lemon, stoved, matured...etc.), Burleys (there are several), Latakia (most is Cyprian...I doubt you'll find any Syrian nowadays), Perique, and Orientals (Turkish, Macedonian, Smyrna...etc.). Smoke them all individually, one by one. Take notes. Get to understand the characteristics of each. It doesn't matter whether I think Perique is "earthy" and Latakia is "smoky". You're not me. It's your perceptions that count.
  • Then try various combinations of those tobaccos in different amounts. The first thing you will discover is that blending by some kind of "formula" doesn't always work in the way you expect it to work. Tobaccos are synergistic when they're blended—that is, the whole often becomes something much more than the sum of its parts.
  • Nevertheless, there are certain constants that will get you close. For example, Virginia is usually sweet; Burley is often described as "nutty". Orientals and Latakia are called condiment tobaccos for a reason; they usually add “spice” to a blend. Adding a very small amount can completely transform your smoking experience.
  • Learning how different tobaccos work together in a blend is not an overnight experience; it takes time. It's an education, punctuated by occasional revelations. But you will quickly gain an appreciation of the rare skill of a true weedmeister like Greg Pease, one of planet Earth's great natural resources. :!:
Here's the bottom line: Personal taste is widely variable. If you find that Burley is "earthy" and Perique tastes like stewed fruit, who am I to argue with your perceptions? There is no substitute for defining your own weedular preferences and vocabulary. That's what I did, and I've found that it has made pipe smoking a much richer and more interesting experience.

It's always made me laugh in pipe forums (in a lighthearted, decent way, not a cable-news-show-gotcha-condescending way) how someone puts a goal forth, a finish line of result that helplessly rides on the unique experience and expectations of others. It's all in good faith and meaning, because we'd love our brother to get to the same point ("earthy," as it were) but with totally different sets of tools, those we were either brought up with or born with, most likely. Frustration ensues because familiar tools that couldn't build the flavor framework of one guy is incomprehensible to the next, and we'd love to think of ourselves as experts, from our years or enjoyment we've received from our own tongues, and want nothing more than for a fellow enthusiast, newbie or seasoned brother to share this with us.

Hopefully the original poster has at least a couple dozen ideas of what might work, and godspeed to him to satisfy whatever cravings he is imagining. I know when I first started out I had some grand vision thinking of what I wanted pipe tobacco to taste like, an being a pretty experienced cook, figured I'd be able to as easily reach that end--not so, I had to let the tobacco (and pipes) teach me how to get there. It's a fantastic journey.

Sorry for the pointlessly philosophical obviousness today. *shrug* :)

8)

BurleyLegal":n4p64z89 said:
Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms is both earthy and sweet, it would definitely be worth a go. Also, Classic Burley Kake from pipesandcigars is VERY earthy IMO and is a tad bit aromatic, if you like burley.
Both very good suggestions.