sweet tasting english blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popped my tin of westminster, its absolutely delicious. It's a tin from 2008 march (couldn't wait!) but so good i can only imagine how it is aged. Not quite sweet, but so good it doesn't matter.
For variety I've tried frank packing it, using pirate kake for the plug and its a great transition as the bowl smokes down.

Of the CD blends, I honestly only liked Star of the East (but thanks for all the recommendations!). I found a tin of the kake from 06 im looking forward to smoking.
Recently tried bow legged bear, as I heard it was quite the lat bomb, but found it tasted and smelled like Bugler :barf:
Could have been a bad tin, though.

I just popped open a tin of Maltese Falcon this morning. I ordered a couple of tins (I had never tried it) and was going to give them a little time...but I couldn't wait.

What a wonderful flavor! I find a sweetness in there that I don't find in Westminster or Squadron Leader. That's not to take anything away from either of those fine weeds...they're both favorites of mine. It's just that the VA's really jump out in Maltese Falcon as a perfect complement to the Latweed. Plus, it has a really creamy mouth-feel.

And, as an added attraction for a nico-wimp like me, a very mild nicotine hit!

More tins will be ordered. I can't wait to see how it will be with a few months age.

Mike

gospelman":r7rdhaw3 said:
More tins will be ordered. I can't wait to see how it will be with a few months age.

Mike
Agreed... my next order will most likely be all Falcon with the intent of putting it all in the cellar to age.

Dunhil's #965 has a decent amount of brown cavendish that gives it a sweet flavor.Also Dunhill's Aperitif has a certain sweetness too. I'd recommend both...

Yeah mike. Maltese Falcon is just perfection for me.
I think that's what i'm really looking for, english blends with sweet virginia undertones.

I thought about this one for awhile and the sweet has me stumped. A lot of great English type blends have been named, but I've really never considered English blends to be on the sweet side. To me Lancers Slices has a slight sweet taste when first lighting up. The same with Seattle Pipe clubs Plumb Pudding. But toward the middle of the bowl the "sweet" taste tends to disappear for me. I think blends with Syrian Latakia tend to be a little sweeter tasting then the blends with the Cyprian Latakia but that is just my taste buds.

one blend that immediately comes to mind is Boswell's "Northwoods" - I think it's exactly what your looking for

Might want to try GLP Kensington too...I find it has a sweetness to it...also GLP Raven's Wing (no longer made...sigh)...