Taking Your Dog in Your Vehicle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I've only taken our Cocker Spaniel on three or four trips until the other day.

Previous trips, I put in his Krate in the back seat. The last time he got sick.

The past two days, I put his blanket on the front passenger seat.

The first trip was a number of short stops around our hamlet... Rona, Gas fill-up, Home Depot... Except for a couple of initial farts (at least I think that was him), he made out fine. I patted him along the way, kept the air-vent on cool, cracked the windows down a couple inches. He never moved from the blanket even when I went inside a store.

The second trip was yesterday into the city. A half hour stop. And then a hour stop while I officiated at a funeral back in our hamlet. He seemed much more relaxed and made out fine. Again he didn't move from the blanket.

When I got home my son said:

"What are you doing? You'll get fined for taking him in the car. I never heard of that. I think he must be referring to people who keep a dog in the vehicle with windows closed on a hot day.

Does your dog travel with you?

We've got 2 dogs and it is almost impossible for me to get out the door without them. I work from home so they know my habits and if I just get up from my desk and brush my hair the Shelty is jumping up and down on all 4 legs figuring a car ride is in the works. Only when it is too hot or too cold if I need to leave them in the car for a while do they stay home, and it is like beating your children to do that. My wife's and my Suburbans are both dog-hair city in the back seat, takes about a half hour of vacuuming each time to get it all out.

Hershey only gets to ride two places... Over to a friends house to play with their Labs in the pond.. Or out to Buttermilk Falls to walk Tasha.

Last time she took him one of our church friends rode his bike out the end of the path... Tasha stood there talking to him for a few minutes and he commented 'Good Lord what's in your van?'.. Hershey had the van looking like it was on hydrolics as he tried to get out. We've had him since he was a pup (he still is in a lot of ways) but he just doesn't like men..combine that with not being able to get between Momma and a 'stranger' and I could imagine he was about to flip the van over...

He's just to big to cart around much.. We have to take the back seat out of the van to make room. I couldn't imagine riding him around on errands.

Our second dog is an Irish Setter. Not huge but about 70 lbs. She is 10 yrs old so depending on the day I sometimes have to help her into the back seat. Doesn't matter, she considers it part of the deal for her to let us live with her.

I always smile when I see a human chauffeuring his boss around. It's such a huge deal for the dogs to be treated as an equal. I dearly miss my co-pilot, he lent an air of elegance to my pickup, he always sat behind the wheel looking sophisticated when I went into a store and demanded to snoop through the bag when I returned. They surely have a special place in the scheme of things.

My dogs are both mixes (boxer/pit and lab/sheppard/pit). I pretty much take them everywhere with me. Buddy the boxer mix that's featured as my avatar always sits shotgun and Mollie is always comfortable sprawling out on the back seat. I've never had any issues with them in the car and even been complemented by cops and animal control. I know you can purchase doggie seatbelts but I am not familiar with any laws at least in my area that requires them.

I take Humphrey (my beagle) with me quite a lot. If it's a little warm outside, and I just need to run in to the store to pick up some little something, I just leave the car running, the A/C on, and the doors locked.

When I put him in the car, he just turns around 2 or 3 times and then lays down to sleep.

My 10 month old Boxer loves to ride. I take him in my pickup to run errands every other saturday morning or so; he looks so regal sitting next to me, ears perked, looking around.

I have a lab/shepard mix named Kona. (Or, Kona Dog, Black Dog, Konad (as in gonad), Kona-Bologna, etc etc) She is always ready for a ride, and often accompanies me on errands and such. Never complains about my pipe smoking, either.

Neither of my two dogs like the car very much, so they're only put it for when they need to go somewhere.

Until my divorce I used to take my Lab/Chow mix Nipper for rides in the pickup. She would scrunch up next to me like a lover and lay her head on my shoulder. The only time she went nuts was when a motorcycle went by. I sure miss her. :(

Don't have a dog myself, but my girlfriend has one, and she loves to go for car rides. She's getting on in years, so she needs a bit of help to get in some days (even if it's just into one of our Civics). She loves it though, and stomps all over you to get her head out the window. Great stuff, I love dogs, and it's a real shame that I haven't got one.

Absolutely! If she hears the keys rattle, you might get knocked down trying to get to the car before she does! :D

Virtually everywhere.
A car ride is as good as rabbit chasing and better than a treat.
This is what she looks like when we're about to get into the car: :bounce:

baweaverpipes":8rhthn7w said:
Virtually everywhere.
A car ride is as good as rabbit chasing and better than a treat.
This is what she looks like when we're about to get into the car: :bounce:
That's how my hooligans are, they hear me pick up the car keys and they come flying to the door. Even if they're :sleep: